Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Found out yesterday I have a heel spur.

Posted by Kathy on 7/24/01 at 11:26 (054128)

I had my foot xrayed yesterday..I couldn't stay to talk with the Dr. about it. I called for the results and I have a heal spur.

I have lost 60 lbs....and have 60 more to go to get to my goal weight ( I know the weight loss will help).

I wear New Balance sneakers. I know to wear supportive shoes all the time.

My problem is I love to walk on my treadmill. But right now I know I need to stay off of it. When I do go back on I will need to take it slow.

I was just wondering if there is an exercise or anything I can do to help prevent my heal spur from hurting? Or is that a silly question? I just hate the thought that this is going to keep happening to me every couple of months or so.

Thanks

Re: Found out yesterday I have a heel spur.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/24/01 at 23:59 (054204)

Lots of ways to get rid of the pain, I'm sure by now you've read about them here - see the heel pain book via the home page. Rest, proper shoes, stretching, heel cups, injections, physical therapy are all options. Then you need to control your foot function with orthotics. 90-95% of people with heel pain clear up with these treatments. Good luck.

Necee on 7/24/01 at 23:59 (054205)

Hi Kathy,
Please read my response to your questions about heelspurs on the Treatment message board, I answered there....hope it's helpful.
Best of Luck
Necee

Bonnie on 7/25/01 at 09:00 (054258)

I recently found out that I have a heel spur on each foot. I have lived with severe pain for some time and finally had enough. I have been on Vioxx, had a coritsone shot in both feet, and wear arch supports and good shoes, NEVER go barefoot, put ice on them at night and recently have had orthodics made for my shoes. I can now say they feel 95% better and I can actually go for a walk down the road and not be in pain. Hallelujah!!!

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/24/01 at 23:59 (054204)

Lots of ways to get rid of the pain, I'm sure by now you've read about them here - see the heel pain book via the home page. Rest, proper shoes, stretching, heel cups, injections, physical therapy are all options. Then you need to control your foot function with orthotics. 90-95% of people with heel pain clear up with these treatments. Good luck.

Necee on 7/24/01 at 23:59 (054205)

Hi Kathy,
Please read my response to your questions about heelspurs on the Treatment message board, I answered there....hope it's helpful.
Best of Luck
Necee

Bonnie on 7/25/01 at 09:00 (054258)

I recently found out that I have a heel spur on each foot. I have lived with severe pain for some time and finally had enough. I have been on Vioxx, had a coritsone shot in both feet, and wear arch supports and good shoes, NEVER go barefoot, put ice on them at night and recently have had orthodics made for my shoes. I can now say they feel 95% better and I can actually go for a walk down the road and not be in pain. Hallelujah!!!