Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Accu-Flex

Posted by Dondi on 7/24/01 at hrmin (054135)

Hi-

Does anyone have an Accu-Flex with instructions that they are willing to sell/Lease?? I am hoping it successfully helped someone to the point where they no longer need it, and I have been waiting so long for the gentlemen to return from Thailand and I don't if I can wait much longer. I really need to strenghten my feet/legs someway. Thank you....

Re: Accu-Flex

ellen w on 7/24/01 at 13:28 (054136)

I believe (please, board members who have ordered this correct me if I'm wrong) that the Acu-Flex is custom-made for your foot size. You may want to think about PFT's in the interim. Julie mentioned she was going to order them -- Julie, if you have, and you've used them, what do you think of PFT's for exercise?
ellen

Nancy N on 7/24/01 at 14:07 (054138)

Ellen--

They can custom-make it for your foot size, but the regular and small sizes should be OK for just about everyone. I got the regular (drawing around my foot was all but impossible for me to do accurately, and would have resulted in a larger image anyway) and have never had a problem with it.

Julie on 7/25/01 at 01:05 (054216)

Dondi, I've e-mailed you about my Acu-Flexes, which I'm ready to sell.

Ellen, I'm not a good person to ask about either Acu-Flex or PFT. I've got both now, but haven't used either very much. I think I'm just essentially averse to exercise equipment of any kind, and just keep plodding on with working my own body the way I know how to and like to. Unadventurous. So I now have two sets of equipment taking up space in my room.

But I think both the AF and the PFT are excellent tools for those who use them. They work on different principles but they both work to strengthen the muscles of the feet and legs. There was a furious argument about their relative merits a year ago, around the time I found heelspurs.com. but they are both very good. The Acu-Flex is more versatile and more fun to use: you can use it to stretch in many different ways. The PFT is more limited; very specific in its use. The Acu-Flex comes with a good manual, with clear instructions and good illustrations. The PFT instructions are minimal: terse and not easy to understand; the illustrations are poor.

I'm sorry not to be more helpful. There are others who have used them and can comment, though.

Nancy N on 7/25/01 at 08:43 (054255)

I have not used the PFT, but I like my Acu-Flex a lot. Haven't used it much lately, but I plan to remedy that and do some achilles stretching. Julie is right, you can use the Acu-Flex for a wide variety of things--I have only used it for my feet thus far, but because it is basically an elastic band, which you can use in varying lengths, you can use it for things other than your feet.

Wasn't Alan K supposed to be back by now? Seems he's been gone for an awfully long time...

john h on 7/25/01 at 18:01 (054293)

from somewone who treks to Crete and Paris on a frequent basis: 'i am not very adventureous'! now really julie!

Julie on 7/26/01 at 01:29 (054334)

Oh well, John, you got me. I guess I'm adventurous in some ways, but not in others. I felt really foolish yesterday, confessing publicly that I'd bought both the PFT and the Acu-Flex and hardly used them. But then I remembered (and explained on the other thread that this discussion somehow got moved to) that in the past I've rashly acquired an exercise bike, a rowing machine, and a mini-trampoline all of which I used - religiously - for about a week, and ended up selling years later. So when I got enthusiastic about the two foot-exercisers, I should have known better, and restrained myself.

You COULD say, though - if you were feeling generous - that it was adventurous of me (if ill-advised) to order them.

Seriously, though, I would definitely not want to put anyone off buying either device. I think both are excellent, safe, effective ways of giving the feet the non- weight-bearing exercise they need. I can't think of any contra-indications - it's not like buying a 'wrong' pair of shoes that end up in the Goodwill box. They are a good investment. Just be sure before you order them that you will use them.

john h on 7/26/01 at 09:10 (054354)

julie: some years ago i purchased one of the devices you hang upside down on using the boots that came with it with hooks. i would hang in the garage upside down while people driving by wondered what kind of goof ball is doing that. it was sort of expensive and after some months it went the way of many inversion machines to the salvation army.

Re: Hanging upside down

Glenn X on 7/26/01 at hrmin (054373)

John: This is totally hilarious. I'm at work guffawing all over the place, getting quizzical looks from passers-by.
I've wondered too at many past purchasing decisions. I've got one of those 25' exercise balls rolling around my living room begging for attention. But darned if I can think of anything to do with it that will help my foot, short of using it for a foot rest. So there it rolls.

Re: another great purchase

john h on 7/26/01 at 16:21 (054388)

when i married my wife she had a machine called a 'Relaxasier'. It was a device that had about 12 electrial pads similar to Tens Pads. The advertisement stated you could exercise while you layed on the sofa. you just turned the power up and as the current increased it did cause stimulation to your body. one day, i hooked the rascal up to me with all electrodes. i slowly turned the power up but nothing happened. iturned it up all the way and still nothing but as i reached to turn it off it apprently awoke from its sleep and i thought i would be dead before icould get it off. i do not know what the electric chair is like but that had to be close. that baby went to the salvation army and looking back it should have headed to the trash.

Re: Exercise machines

Julie on 7/27/01 at 01:53 (054428)

I knew we had a lot in common, John. I've thought of something else. For a long time we had a hanging bar in our dining room door. Years ago I gave myself tennis elbow hanging off it (right side up, but with all my weight pulling on my elbows). It went the way of all the other devices when we re-painted the hall recently.

ellen w on 7/24/01 at 13:28 (054136)

I believe (please, board members who have ordered this correct me if I'm wrong) that the Acu-Flex is custom-made for your foot size. You may want to think about PFT's in the interim. Julie mentioned she was going to order them -- Julie, if you have, and you've used them, what do you think of PFT's for exercise?
ellen

Nancy N on 7/24/01 at 14:07 (054138)

Ellen--

They can custom-make it for your foot size, but the regular and small sizes should be OK for just about everyone. I got the regular (drawing around my foot was all but impossible for me to do accurately, and would have resulted in a larger image anyway) and have never had a problem with it.

Julie on 7/25/01 at 01:05 (054216)

Dondi, I've e-mailed you about my Acu-Flexes, which I'm ready to sell.

Ellen, I'm not a good person to ask about either Acu-Flex or PFT. I've got both now, but haven't used either very much. I think I'm just essentially averse to exercise equipment of any kind, and just keep plodding on with working my own body the way I know how to and like to. Unadventurous. So I now have two sets of equipment taking up space in my room.

But I think both the AF and the PFT are excellent tools for those who use them. They work on different principles but they both work to strengthen the muscles of the feet and legs. There was a furious argument about their relative merits a year ago, around the time I found heelspurs.com. but they are both very good. The Acu-Flex is more versatile and more fun to use: you can use it to stretch in many different ways. The PFT is more limited; very specific in its use. The Acu-Flex comes with a good manual, with clear instructions and good illustrations. The PFT instructions are minimal: terse and not easy to understand; the illustrations are poor.

I'm sorry not to be more helpful. There are others who have used them and can comment, though.

Nancy N on 7/25/01 at 08:43 (054255)

I have not used the PFT, but I like my Acu-Flex a lot. Haven't used it much lately, but I plan to remedy that and do some achilles stretching. Julie is right, you can use the Acu-Flex for a wide variety of things--I have only used it for my feet thus far, but because it is basically an elastic band, which you can use in varying lengths, you can use it for things other than your feet.

Wasn't Alan K supposed to be back by now? Seems he's been gone for an awfully long time...

john h on 7/25/01 at 18:01 (054293)

from somewone who treks to Crete and Paris on a frequent basis: 'i am not very adventureous'! now really julie!

Julie on 7/26/01 at 01:29 (054334)

Oh well, John, you got me. I guess I'm adventurous in some ways, but not in others. I felt really foolish yesterday, confessing publicly that I'd bought both the PFT and the Acu-Flex and hardly used them. But then I remembered (and explained on the other thread that this discussion somehow got moved to) that in the past I've rashly acquired an exercise bike, a rowing machine, and a mini-trampoline all of which I used - religiously - for about a week, and ended up selling years later. So when I got enthusiastic about the two foot-exercisers, I should have known better, and restrained myself.

You COULD say, though - if you were feeling generous - that it was adventurous of me (if ill-advised) to order them.

Seriously, though, I would definitely not want to put anyone off buying either device. I think both are excellent, safe, effective ways of giving the feet the non- weight-bearing exercise they need. I can't think of any contra-indications - it's not like buying a 'wrong' pair of shoes that end up in the Goodwill box. They are a good investment. Just be sure before you order them that you will use them.

john h on 7/26/01 at 09:10 (054354)

julie: some years ago i purchased one of the devices you hang upside down on using the boots that came with it with hooks. i would hang in the garage upside down while people driving by wondered what kind of goof ball is doing that. it was sort of expensive and after some months it went the way of many inversion machines to the salvation army.

Re: Hanging upside down

Glenn X on 7/26/01 at hrmin (054373)

John: This is totally hilarious. I'm at work guffawing all over the place, getting quizzical looks from passers-by.
I've wondered too at many past purchasing decisions. I've got one of those 25' exercise balls rolling around my living room begging for attention. But darned if I can think of anything to do with it that will help my foot, short of using it for a foot rest. So there it rolls.

Re: another great purchase

john h on 7/26/01 at 16:21 (054388)

when i married my wife she had a machine called a 'Relaxasier'. It was a device that had about 12 electrial pads similar to Tens Pads. The advertisement stated you could exercise while you layed on the sofa. you just turned the power up and as the current increased it did cause stimulation to your body. one day, i hooked the rascal up to me with all electrodes. i slowly turned the power up but nothing happened. iturned it up all the way and still nothing but as i reached to turn it off it apprently awoke from its sleep and i thought i would be dead before icould get it off. i do not know what the electric chair is like but that had to be close. that baby went to the salvation army and looking back it should have headed to the trash.

Re: Exercise machines

Julie on 7/27/01 at 01:53 (054428)

I knew we had a lot in common, John. I've thought of something else. For a long time we had a hanging bar in our dining room door. Years ago I gave myself tennis elbow hanging off it (right side up, but with all my weight pulling on my elbows). It went the way of all the other devices when we re-painted the hall recently.