Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Neuroma

Posted by Gayle H. on 7/24/01 at 20:12 (054172)

I have a plantar neuroma between the 3rd and 4th toes of my left foot. I have been to the orthopedic surgeon. He has injected it twice now with cortisone and it is still painful. The injections only helped for acouple of weeks. I can only wear sandals and walking shoes. And, now sometimes it even hurts with those. I need to do something. I need to be able to wear shoes. This is very painful. Sends a shocking pain through my 4th toe. What I want to know is this-- Is surgery my only option? Will I have good results? Anything else I can do? I need help fast!!!! I am desperate to get rid of this.

Re: Plantar Neuroma

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/24/01 at 22:36 (054191)

It is important to padding or and place an insert into the shoe to push the metatarsal bone away from the imflamed nerve. Alchol sclerotic injections are another type of injection that can help you foot.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/24/01 at hrmin (054201)

Shoe inserts can be made to help take the pressure off the nerve. If it does end up needing surgery, there are new developments for neuroma surgery that increase the sucess rate.

Amy M on 7/25/01 at 12:31 (054279)

Dr. Reid - could you please tell me what these new developments are? I need neuroma surgery soon and I want to get the best surgery possible. Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/01 at 10:13 (054482)

They are doing EPF releases of the ligament that can be pressing on the nerve. It you have a true neuroma then excision with good surgical technique is all that you need. Very simple operaton to perform so long as your doctor has the experience and background to perform this procedure. The surgery will help the severe burning, cramping. stone like feeling . Electrical sharp shooting type pain. IF this what you have then the procedure can help you alot.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/24/01 at 22:36 (054191)

It is important to padding or and place an insert into the shoe to push the metatarsal bone away from the imflamed nerve. Alchol sclerotic injections are another type of injection that can help you foot.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/24/01 at hrmin (054201)

Shoe inserts can be made to help take the pressure off the nerve. If it does end up needing surgery, there are new developments for neuroma surgery that increase the sucess rate.

Amy M on 7/25/01 at 12:31 (054279)

Dr. Reid - could you please tell me what these new developments are? I need neuroma surgery soon and I want to get the best surgery possible. Thanks!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/01 at 10:13 (054482)

They are doing EPF releases of the ligament that can be pressing on the nerve. It you have a true neuroma then excision with good surgical technique is all that you need. Very simple operaton to perform so long as your doctor has the experience and background to perform this procedure. The surgery will help the severe burning, cramping. stone like feeling . Electrical sharp shooting type pain. IF this what you have then the procedure can help you alot.