Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've developed heel pain now! (pretty long)

Posted by Kathy G. on 7/25/01 at 09:30 (054262)

I have posted to these boards a couple of times in the last month, as Kathy. I see that a new Kathy has started to post, so I'll become Kathy G. My foot symptoms are six years long and boring. Suffice to say that I developed bilateral PF about six weeeks ago - calf pain, arch pain but no pain in the heel area. PT made just about everywhere in my feet hurt, started sciatica and hamstring pain and the last visits made the insertion points on my heals start to hurt which was a first. I stopped PT, quit my part-time, standing-up job and am attempting a campaign of rest (which is driving me crazy!!!), icing and gentle stretching. I have custom orthotics which I wouldn't be without. Suddenly yesterday, the pain in the insertion points started again. Without even thinking, I brilliantly squatted for a period of time on Sunday and think this may have contributed. Now my question, does taping help if one has the custom orthotics? My pain has never been worse in the morning - it gets worse as the day progresses. The first step of the day is usually the least painful. But I am petrified of this new pain in the heel area! Should I attempt the taping? I have ridiculously sensitive skin and even non-allergenic adhesive tape causes me to break out. But I am desperately trying to prevent worse symptoms. I also have shoulder problems and tendonitis in my hand so the idea of using crutches is horrifying. I really need opinions here. I do take Vioxx which doesn't help the arch pain but helps the neuritis under the toe area which was originally thought to be a neuroma. In re-reading the above, I sound like a physical wreck but I really am a healthy, non-overweight, 52 year old who, up to a year ago, exercised on a regular basis and lived a normal life! Julie, bless you, if you read this, I read your method of taping while reviewing these boards several weeks ago, but can't seem to find it. What do you think? It is just wonderful how helpful you are to everyone who posts here. Thank you to anyone who can help me. I am SO discouraged.

Re: Taping - to Kathy G

Julie on 7/25/01 at 09:53 (054266)

Hi Kathy

First - I am so sorry about this new pain, on top of all your other long-standing problems. You don't sound at all like a wreck! Everyone has problems of one kind or another, so don't kick yourself for having yours. (Or for squatting - it may have had nothing to do with it.)

I have had new custom orthotics since I got PF, and while I was taping, I always had the two together - and often an ankle support as well. All have helped. All three together were a godsend when I needed extra support. So the answer to that part of your question is yes, though I don't know if others would agree.

I don't know what to say to you, though, about taping. If your skin is that sensitive, you wouldn't want to wish an allergic reaction to tape on your poor feet! But if you want to try it, there are instructions for several techniques in the heel pain book. I've always used the simplest method - two strips connecting the ball of the foot and the heel. It needs to be applied fairly tightly, with the foot bent back from the ankle. You may need to experiment to get the tension right: too loose and it won't give effective support, too tight and it will hurt. You'll know when it's 'right', but it may take a few tries.

If you do decide to try it, and if you have any problems (assuming your skin doesn't react badly) and you need to ask more questions, don't hesitate.

Re: I've developed heel pain now! (pretty long)

BrianG on 7/25/01 at 10:08 (054271)

Hi KathyG,

I can't tape every day either, but I do it when I can. Also, you may want to get a walker, instead of the crutches. Good luck and I'm glad to hear you quit the part time job, it should be a big help.

BCG

ellen w on 7/25/01 at 11:44 (054277)

A few months back there were posts about skin-sensitivity and taping. Some posters recommended some kind of protective wrap that you could put on first. Sorry -- don't remember the name, but maybe some other posters remember or could direct you. Maybe a search on this site re. skin sensitivity would yiedl the answer.
ellen

Re: Taping to Kathy G.

Necee on 7/26/01 at 01:29 (054335)

Hi Kathy,
Hope that all the tips here have been helpful to you. I would like to add that I wear an ankle brace, when I don't want to tape, It seems to give me support around my ankle as well as the Fascia. I use the Futuro brand and they are inexpensive to buy. Also wearing a heel cup gives that extra support to the heel.
Hope that helps
good luck,
Necee

john h on 7/26/01 at 09:01 (054353)

i think i saw a product in a catalog yesterday that you can spray on your skin prior to taping. i will check when i go home later today and post website if i am correct.

john h on 7/26/01 at 18:13 (054395)

kathy: what i saw in a clinic supply catalog is (1) tape remover liquid which deactivates tape residue and adhesive without desolving it (2) Tape remover spray (3) tape removing individual pads

Scott R on 7/27/01 at 12:59 (054514)

John, let me know if you find out more about stuff to spray on.

Dr. Davis, I'm hesitant to join clubs because they usually require or disallow certain behaviors.

Julie on 7/25/01 at 09:53 (054266)

Hi Kathy

First - I am so sorry about this new pain, on top of all your other long-standing problems. You don't sound at all like a wreck! Everyone has problems of one kind or another, so don't kick yourself for having yours. (Or for squatting - it may have had nothing to do with it.)

I have had new custom orthotics since I got PF, and while I was taping, I always had the two together - and often an ankle support as well. All have helped. All three together were a godsend when I needed extra support. So the answer to that part of your question is yes, though I don't know if others would agree.

I don't know what to say to you, though, about taping. If your skin is that sensitive, you wouldn't want to wish an allergic reaction to tape on your poor feet! But if you want to try it, there are instructions for several techniques in the heel pain book. I've always used the simplest method - two strips connecting the ball of the foot and the heel. It needs to be applied fairly tightly, with the foot bent back from the ankle. You may need to experiment to get the tension right: too loose and it won't give effective support, too tight and it will hurt. You'll know when it's 'right', but it may take a few tries.

If you do decide to try it, and if you have any problems (assuming your skin doesn't react badly) and you need to ask more questions, don't hesitate.

Re: I've developed heel pain now! (pretty long)

BrianG on 7/25/01 at 10:08 (054271)

Hi KathyG,

I can't tape every day either, but I do it when I can. Also, you may want to get a walker, instead of the crutches. Good luck and I'm glad to hear you quit the part time job, it should be a big help.

BCG

ellen w on 7/25/01 at 11:44 (054277)

A few months back there were posts about skin-sensitivity and taping. Some posters recommended some kind of protective wrap that you could put on first. Sorry -- don't remember the name, but maybe some other posters remember or could direct you. Maybe a search on this site re. skin sensitivity would yiedl the answer.
ellen

Re: Taping to Kathy G.

Necee on 7/26/01 at 01:29 (054335)

Hi Kathy,
Hope that all the tips here have been helpful to you. I would like to add that I wear an ankle brace, when I don't want to tape, It seems to give me support around my ankle as well as the Fascia. I use the Futuro brand and they are inexpensive to buy. Also wearing a heel cup gives that extra support to the heel.
Hope that helps
good luck,
Necee

john h on 7/26/01 at 09:01 (054353)

i think i saw a product in a catalog yesterday that you can spray on your skin prior to taping. i will check when i go home later today and post website if i am correct.

john h on 7/26/01 at 18:13 (054395)

kathy: what i saw in a clinic supply catalog is (1) tape remover liquid which deactivates tape residue and adhesive without desolving it (2) Tape remover spray (3) tape removing individual pads

Scott R on 7/27/01 at 12:59 (054514)

John, let me know if you find out more about stuff to spray on.

Dr. Davis, I'm hesitant to join clubs because they usually require or disallow certain behaviors.