Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How much rest is enough (reply to Carmen)

Posted by Glenn X on 7/25/01 at hrmin (054284)

Carmen; Just caught up with your question of a few days ago where you asked how much rest is enough. Thought I'd respond anew since that thread's old.
Scott remarks in his book that, 'In my case, being gentle on my feet for several months until there was no pain and then very slowly and carefully increasing activity was the key.'
That sounds like a really long time. And while I'm not sure how Scott was being gentle, from my own experience, months is right. Twice, after 'months,' (3 to 6) I have felt able to begin putting weight on my foot and have done so, only to suffer a reversal a couple of weeks later. I was not 'slowly and very carefully increasing activity.' I was not testing my capabilities thoughtfully enough.
I've learned my lesson now, and assuming I haven't irreversibly damaged myself, I'll get it right the next time.
One key I have learned I call the 50-Hour Rule. Scott notes that it often takes 36 hours for the consequence of increased activity to make itself known. With PF a lot of progress can be reversed in 36 hours.
For me, I'm going to play it safe at 50, meaning when I increase activity I'm going to do so for 15 minutes, stop, and wait 50 hours to see what happens. Then assuming things are OK, double that time and wait again.
In your case, newer into this, you might not need months of rest, but I would nonetheless WAY overdue that particular aspect (REST) of your treatment.

Re: Thanks you Glenn

Carmen H on 7/25/01 at 16:49 (054291)

Thank you for your insight Glenn. I am taking that particular approach on the breaking in of my Orthotics (Can you believe the lady that gave them to my husband said 'Tell her to wear them NO more then 4 hours the first day...she could hurther feet.' Try 15 minutes lady!!!)
I will remember the 36 hours thing too. Possibly had a bad day yesterday due to overexertion on Sunday...never thought of that.
Thanks Again!!!!

Re: Thanks you Glenn

Carmen H on 7/25/01 at 16:49 (054291)

Thank you for your insight Glenn. I am taking that particular approach on the breaking in of my Orthotics (Can you believe the lady that gave them to my husband said 'Tell her to wear them NO more then 4 hours the first day...she could hurther feet.' Try 15 minutes lady!!!)
I will remember the 36 hours thing too. Possibly had a bad day yesterday due to overexertion on Sunday...never thought of that.
Thanks Again!!!!