Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

mephisto shoes

Posted by laura I on 7/25/01 at 16:30 (054288)

has anyone tried mephisto shoes?- a salesman in a comfort shoe store told me i needed to wear a shoe with a good arch support otherwise the calf gets pulled so much that healing cannot take place. these shoes are extremely expensive

Re: mephisto shoes

Lori E. on 7/25/01 at 19:32 (054300)

I have a pair of Mephisto Holiday shoes. I wish I had bought them about 4 pair of $100 shoes ago. You need to weigh for yourself how much money you are willing to spend. I was sick of searching for the perfect $100 or less shoe and spent the money. I got to the point that I was willing to pay over $200 for a pair of shoes after buying several pair of $100 shoes that didn't work.
The main question is...How did the shoes feel to you? Did the model you tried bend in the arch area? Some Mephistos are softer than others and you need to figure out how stiff a shoe works for you before you buy them. Also a reputable shoe store will let you return the shoes if you don't wear them outside of the house and haven't damaged them. So if you buy them and they don't work, you can return them with nothing lost except the time you take to go to the store.
That being said, I am very happy with my shoes and am planning on buying another pair in the fall. I am hoping to be able to get enough pairs eventually that I can rotate them to make them last longer. They are an investment. But when you look at how much you may have already spent on suppliments,shoes that didn't work, co-pays, accupuncture, etc. if they work for you they are worth it.
Another thing...Mephisto will resole them for you for about $80 if you send them to them after you have worn down the sole. Good luck. I hope this helped.

laura I on 7/26/01 at 15:57 (054386)

Thanks lori for your comments- I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago- and have yet to buy shoes (I guess I'm still in denial)do you know if cushioning in the shoe is important? the mephistos and noats don't have the cushioning which seems to help ease the pain, however arch support is important-

Re: mephisto shoes YES!!

Dan L on 7/26/01 at hrmin (054403)

I bought 2 pair of Mephistos. I have Mephisto sandals and HAD some dress shoes that laced up. The dress shoes hurt my feet badly!! Something about having my feet (bilateral PF) completely enclosed in snug shoes made them worse. BUT....my Mephisto sandals are fantastic!!!! Lots of support and very 'cushiony' as well. They have not cured my feet but have made it possible for me to stand or walk for short periods. I like these sandals a lot!! Yes, they were just over $200. But I have spent far more for orthotics that did nothing. I've spent far more on MANY other shoes (when combined) that offered no comfort at all. Good luck & hang in there!

Julie on 7/27/01 at 02:22 (054435)

Laura, I can't comment on Mephistos (I tried a couple of pairs on once and they didn't suit my feet) but as far as cushioning is concerned, I think what you need to look for in any shoe is a _thick_ sole. You may also be more comfortable with a shoe that has soft inside cushioning, but it's the thickness of the sole that protects feet from impacting with the ground. Even a hard leather sole is softer than concrete. The thin soles of most dress shoes offer no protection (and no support, either, being too flexible).

nancy f on 7/27/01 at 16:22 (054550)

Julie, What r your favorite kinds os shoes?

Lori E. on 7/27/01 at 19:09 (054571)

Laura,
I have put a insole cushion in my Mephistos to help with that problem. The do offer the support I need but yes, I do need that little bit of extra cushioning an insert or insole provides. It fits fine in my Mephistos. Good luck!

Re: Nancy - favourite shoes?

Julie on 7/28/01 at 01:21 (054600)

Hard question to answer! I have a lot of trouble finding shoes that fit. I have a wide foot, and need room in the shoe for orthotics. I also need a roomy toe box - hard to find. At the moment I am happy with North Face Targas.

Lori E. on 7/25/01 at 19:32 (054300)

I have a pair of Mephisto Holiday shoes. I wish I had bought them about 4 pair of $100 shoes ago. You need to weigh for yourself how much money you are willing to spend. I was sick of searching for the perfect $100 or less shoe and spent the money. I got to the point that I was willing to pay over $200 for a pair of shoes after buying several pair of $100 shoes that didn't work.
The main question is...How did the shoes feel to you? Did the model you tried bend in the arch area? Some Mephistos are softer than others and you need to figure out how stiff a shoe works for you before you buy them. Also a reputable shoe store will let you return the shoes if you don't wear them outside of the house and haven't damaged them. So if you buy them and they don't work, you can return them with nothing lost except the time you take to go to the store.
That being said, I am very happy with my shoes and am planning on buying another pair in the fall. I am hoping to be able to get enough pairs eventually that I can rotate them to make them last longer. They are an investment. But when you look at how much you may have already spent on suppliments,shoes that didn't work, co-pays, accupuncture, etc. if they work for you they are worth it.
Another thing...Mephisto will resole them for you for about $80 if you send them to them after you have worn down the sole. Good luck. I hope this helped.

laura I on 7/26/01 at 15:57 (054386)

Thanks lori for your comments- I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago- and have yet to buy shoes (I guess I'm still in denial)do you know if cushioning in the shoe is important? the mephistos and noats don't have the cushioning which seems to help ease the pain, however arch support is important-

Re: mephisto shoes YES!!

Dan L on 7/26/01 at hrmin (054403)

I bought 2 pair of Mephistos. I have Mephisto sandals and HAD some dress shoes that laced up. The dress shoes hurt my feet badly!! Something about having my feet (bilateral PF) completely enclosed in snug shoes made them worse. BUT....my Mephisto sandals are fantastic!!!! Lots of support and very 'cushiony' as well. They have not cured my feet but have made it possible for me to stand or walk for short periods. I like these sandals a lot!! Yes, they were just over $200. But I have spent far more for orthotics that did nothing. I've spent far more on MANY other shoes (when combined) that offered no comfort at all. Good luck & hang in there!

Julie on 7/27/01 at 02:22 (054435)

Laura, I can't comment on Mephistos (I tried a couple of pairs on once and they didn't suit my feet) but as far as cushioning is concerned, I think what you need to look for in any shoe is a _thick_ sole. You may also be more comfortable with a shoe that has soft inside cushioning, but it's the thickness of the sole that protects feet from impacting with the ground. Even a hard leather sole is softer than concrete. The thin soles of most dress shoes offer no protection (and no support, either, being too flexible).

nancy f on 7/27/01 at 16:22 (054550)

Julie, What r your favorite kinds os shoes?

Lori E. on 7/27/01 at 19:09 (054571)

Laura,
I have put a insole cushion in my Mephistos to help with that problem. The do offer the support I need but yes, I do need that little bit of extra cushioning an insert or insole provides. It fits fine in my Mephistos. Good luck!

Re: Nancy - favourite shoes?

Julie on 7/28/01 at 01:21 (054600)

Hard question to answer! I have a lot of trouble finding shoes that fit. I have a wide foot, and need room in the shoe for orthotics. I also need a roomy toe box - hard to find. At the moment I am happy with North Face Targas.