Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Safe workouts

Posted by Deb H. on 7/25/01 at 23:28 (054319)

Is biking a 'safe' workout with PF? Is it ok to continue low impact aerobics with weights if I have proper shoe inserts, or some other type of device? I've read swimming is ok, but I don't have access to a pool. Thanks!

Re: Safe workouts

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/26/01 at hrmin (054384)

The activities you do today will determine how your plantar fasciitis feels tomorrow. That will give you a way to decide which activities aggravate the fasciitis or not.

Biking is usually okay provided your achilles is not too tight and if the shoes you use have a rigid shank.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/01 at 10:06 (054475)

Hi ,

Biking is great. Make sure that you have the entire foot placed into the pedal. Low impact aerobic is bad for pf. Non-weight bearing stretching is great. Try to think of it like this pf is like having a broken bone, or a torn rotator cuff. So you need to avoid low, high aerobic impact sports during the healing time frame.

There are many YMCA that are water excercise program for people that don't have pools. There instructors are really great

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/26/01 at hrmin (054384)

The activities you do today will determine how your plantar fasciitis feels tomorrow. That will give you a way to decide which activities aggravate the fasciitis or not.

Biking is usually okay provided your achilles is not too tight and if the shoes you use have a rigid shank.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/01 at 10:06 (054475)

Hi ,

Biking is great. Make sure that you have the entire foot placed into the pedal. Low impact aerobic is bad for pf. Non-weight bearing stretching is great. Try to think of it like this pf is like having a broken bone, or a torn rotator cuff. So you need to avoid low, high aerobic impact sports during the healing time frame.

There are many YMCA that are water excercise program for people that don't have pools. There instructors are really great