Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

swimming

Posted by Tracey on 7/26/01 at 18:36 (054397)

I am 4 weeks post ossatron tx for pf and a 15 mo. stint of treatments (correct order by a podiatrist. I am still having stiffness and some pain at night and in the morning, but the agonizing pain through the day is gone. Recently I tried to ease back into just a little exercise. Smart thinking and research says biking or swimming. Tried swimming. I swam, not floated for 15 minutes. I suffered the whole eve. I believe it was the ladder. Putting my feet in the slots and hoisting out of the pool was not a good idea but there was no other way out. I'll find a poot to swim in with steps to go out next time. It will be interesting to see if it was the swimming or the ladder that caused the pain. Fully recovered two days later and not anxious to try to soon. Tracey

Re: swimming

Steve P on 7/26/01 at 20:36 (054402)

Tracey -- I'm almost sure it was the ladder. Some newer pool designs have water right up to deck-level. Maybe you can find one. If not, try slipping into the pool without using the ladder & then try to hoist yourself out (like a gymnist) at the end. But, at all costs, keep your weight off those bare feet!

best to you..........Steve (PFer who swims daily)

Glenn X on 7/26/01 at hrmin (054412)

Tracey: I have a pair of Speedo slip-on rubber deck (shower) clogs. They have a reasonably good arch and the foot bed front to back is rubber nubbies. Spent maybe $12 bucks for them. I'm not yet into swimming, but if I was I'd wear them into the water, then slip them off and set them by the side of the pool. After exercising, I'd slip them back on before exiting the pool -- and even then I'd steer clear of the ladder. Lacking clogs I'd wear tennies or something, and swallow the curious looks. Good swimming!

tracey on 7/26/01 at 22:23 (054413)

I am putting my bet on the ladder to as I did a foolish thing a few days ago also I used the ladder and my foot has been exceptionaly sore! I remember the exact moment realizing it also! I usually slip down into the water I am afraid to jump in from our deck,my kids do and hubby, but I usually sit on side and sort of slide in, but for some reason I was not even thinking I used the ladder and no shoes or sandles on! Please be careful Tracey!!! I hope you feel better soon! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Re: swimmingoops I posted this sorry I forgot to change name !

Tammie on 7/26/01 at 22:24 (054414)

sorry

Rock on 7/26/01 at 23:48 (054419)

Tracey,

The other swimming hazard is pushing off the pool walls with your bare forefeet.

To swim my usual 4 mi / week, I make sure I use my heels to push off the walls every time, even if it much less efficient.

Rock.

Steve P on 7/26/01 at 20:36 (054402)

Tracey -- I'm almost sure it was the ladder. Some newer pool designs have water right up to deck-level. Maybe you can find one. If not, try slipping into the pool without using the ladder & then try to hoist yourself out (like a gymnist) at the end. But, at all costs, keep your weight off those bare feet!

best to you..........Steve (PFer who swims daily)

Glenn X on 7/26/01 at hrmin (054412)

Tracey: I have a pair of Speedo slip-on rubber deck (shower) clogs. They have a reasonably good arch and the foot bed front to back is rubber nubbies. Spent maybe $12 bucks for them. I'm not yet into swimming, but if I was I'd wear them into the water, then slip them off and set them by the side of the pool. After exercising, I'd slip them back on before exiting the pool -- and even then I'd steer clear of the ladder. Lacking clogs I'd wear tennies or something, and swallow the curious looks. Good swimming!

tracey on 7/26/01 at 22:23 (054413)

I am putting my bet on the ladder to as I did a foolish thing a few days ago also I used the ladder and my foot has been exceptionaly sore! I remember the exact moment realizing it also! I usually slip down into the water I am afraid to jump in from our deck,my kids do and hubby, but I usually sit on side and sort of slide in, but for some reason I was not even thinking I used the ladder and no shoes or sandles on! Please be careful Tracey!!! I hope you feel better soon! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Re: swimmingoops I posted this sorry I forgot to change name !

Tammie on 7/26/01 at 22:24 (054414)

sorry

Rock on 7/26/01 at 23:48 (054419)

Tracey,

The other swimming hazard is pushing off the pool walls with your bare forefeet.

To swim my usual 4 mi / week, I make sure I use my heels to push off the walls every time, even if it much less efficient.

Rock.