Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Handicap sign in car

Posted by Nancy f. on 7/27/01 at 09:03 (054455)

Do any of u with cronic pf have a handicap sign hanging in your car window? How do u get this? Is the dr usually willing ? I think alot of us deserve this.

Re: Handicap sign in car

Andrea R. on 7/27/01 at 10:07 (054477)

Nancy f.,

I'm on my third temporary one. I originally got it for work because the parking situation was so bad.

How to apply usually varies by state. Call your department of motor vehicles.

I haven't had a problem getting the doctor to sign for them.

I don't use it all the time but there are days when it's the only way I can make it. I also usually use a cane too on those days.

Steve P on 7/27/01 at 12:56 (054513)

YES, call your DMV & they will send you the appication. I've had 2 passes for 6 mo. each & they weren't a problem.

Beverly on 7/28/01 at 14:42 (054647)

My first try with a doc on this turned me down and I otherwise liked him... tried my internist, and got one. Then it was time to renew... was in a new city... new doc turned me down, but then I asked someone else and was told 'yes.' So, if you get told 'no' all is not lost... just try a different doctor. Both who told me no said I did not 'qualify.'
Beverly

Kathy G on 7/31/01 at 15:12 (054979)

Hi Nancy:

I got a temporary handicap sign about a month ago, after a lot of kicking and screaming. Well, of course, I couldn't kick because it hurt too much! Anyway, I use it when there's no close spaces and my feet are really hurting and it's the best thing I ever did. It used to be that just the thought of grocery shopping was depressing, but now, even if my feet are killing me, I know I won't have to park out in the boonies! My college-aged daughter had a good idea re:grocery shopping. (not that we're talking about that specifically) She got me some of those canvas bags that ecolologically-minded people use. These replace the myriad of plastic or paper bags I used to have to bring in from the car. Now, it takes way fewer trips to unpack the car - plus I'm cutting down on waste! In our state, I had to request a form from the Motor Vehicle Dept and fill out my part of it and then mail it to my doctor to fill out the rest. Then I brought it to the Motor Vehicle Dept and received the sign. My doctor had no problems with my getting it. I am going to a Jimmy Buffett concert in September and can't tell you how painful that's been for me the last few years since one has to park a long way from the pavillion. This year, I will definitely use my handicapped sign and won't feel at all guilty!

Andrea R. on 7/27/01 at 10:07 (054477)

Nancy f.,

I'm on my third temporary one. I originally got it for work because the parking situation was so bad.

How to apply usually varies by state. Call your department of motor vehicles.

I haven't had a problem getting the doctor to sign for them.

I don't use it all the time but there are days when it's the only way I can make it. I also usually use a cane too on those days.

Steve P on 7/27/01 at 12:56 (054513)

YES, call your DMV & they will send you the appication. I've had 2 passes for 6 mo. each & they weren't a problem.

Beverly on 7/28/01 at 14:42 (054647)

My first try with a doc on this turned me down and I otherwise liked him... tried my internist, and got one. Then it was time to renew... was in a new city... new doc turned me down, but then I asked someone else and was told 'yes.' So, if you get told 'no' all is not lost... just try a different doctor. Both who told me no said I did not 'qualify.'
Beverly

Kathy G on 7/31/01 at 15:12 (054979)

Hi Nancy:

I got a temporary handicap sign about a month ago, after a lot of kicking and screaming. Well, of course, I couldn't kick because it hurt too much! Anyway, I use it when there's no close spaces and my feet are really hurting and it's the best thing I ever did. It used to be that just the thought of grocery shopping was depressing, but now, even if my feet are killing me, I know I won't have to park out in the boonies! My college-aged daughter had a good idea re:grocery shopping. (not that we're talking about that specifically) She got me some of those canvas bags that ecolologically-minded people use. These replace the myriad of plastic or paper bags I used to have to bring in from the car. Now, it takes way fewer trips to unpack the car - plus I'm cutting down on waste! In our state, I had to request a form from the Motor Vehicle Dept and fill out my part of it and then mail it to my doctor to fill out the rest. Then I brought it to the Motor Vehicle Dept and received the sign. My doctor had no problems with my getting it. I am going to a Jimmy Buffett concert in September and can't tell you how painful that's been for me the last few years since one has to park a long way from the pavillion. This year, I will definitely use my handicapped sign and won't feel at all guilty!