Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Alznner/Good Feet

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 7/27/01 at hrmin (054488)

I have seen a couple old posts on this subject. My area is getting blanketed with commercials by the 'Good Feet' store for an 'Alznner' orthotic which is a prefab, heavily hyped and being sold for about $225.
I wonder if it is being marketed in other parts of the country and what peoples' experience has been.
Ed

Re: Alznner/Good Feet

Carl on 7/27/01 at 13:14 (054518)

Never tried Alznner, but for that price you might as well go with custom. If you are looking for high qaulity, affordable pre-molded orthodics (about $50.00 per pair), I recommend Ortho-Dynamics line - http://www.orthodynamics.com . They provide good arch support, control and cushioning.

JudyS on 7/27/01 at 15:41 (054540)

Dr. Davis - there is an on-going discussion here re: the Alzners and the consensus seems to be that they are all hype - expensive hype at that. Theoretically they can bring any foot in to proper alignment. I had some for a brief time (paid $80.00 through my chiropractor) but found them to be so dramatically structured that I just couldn't handle them. I reasoned eventually that it doesn't seem right to try to actually change the structure of the foot - although I suppose that's a theory all its own - and I was concerned about creating new problems.
The new-dad pedorthodude here, Richard, has some good perspective on those devices - I hope he responds here.

Nancy N on 7/27/01 at 19:29 (054574)

I've also seen them advertised for a lot less money ($40-ish?) as 'Phase 4 Orthotics.' But they're exactly the same thing (they might've changed the color, but that's it).

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/27/01 at hrmin (054577)

I ordered and recieved a pair of the Phase 4 orthotics and they do seem to be a carbon copy of the Alznners. I try to obtain such products whenever possible so I can evaluate them for my patients' benefit.

The Alznner people appear to be very angry about their Phase 4 competitors. I guess they do not like being beaten at their own game. I had commented on the Phase 4 on a forum entitled, 'Does the Alznner effect make sense or is it a con?' http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/goto?forumid=22044
I recieved angry responses from the Alznner people and their podiatry consultant Harry Hlavac, DPM. I discovered that forum before this one but feel that this is a far more objective and helpful one. I would appreciate it if readers of this forum would take a look at the Alznner forum and give me some support there.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 7/30/01 at 11:18 (054802)

You guys know how I feel about these things.....

Richard

BG CPED on 8/11/01 at 21:31 (056378)

With all due respect to Dr Hvac I would like to see his research and or theory on what and why the Alzner is that great. And at over $200 it is like paying $350 for a pair of NIKE. I am sorry to sound pissy but I am tired of them. In my area they have a clown that advises old ladies not to have surgery and is over the line. I will look at the forum and see what they claim.

Kerry C. on 8/20/01 at hrmin (057245)

I've just purchased some Alznners from a local 'Good Feet' store without really checking into it to make sure that this company is credible. They are very expensive, and they tried to sell me dress shoe inserts as well. I have a bad feeling I wasted my money, since these can't be returned once purchased. I've only had them for 3 days so I have no idea if they will work or not. But do you know if it's possible to see what the response was to these other people's questions on this message board? I want to find published articles or something that will tell me if there are other companies that make supports that are just as good, if this is a ripoff, or what. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

-Kerry C.

Erskin T. on 9/03/01 at 10:44 (058910)

I also purchased a set of inserts from the Good Feet Store. They tried to sell me the $220.00 set, but I declined and purchased the cheaper 'Barefoot' version, made of rubber instead of plastic for about $60.00. I recently saw the advertisment for Phase4 Orthotics. I'm going to give them a try. They seem to replicate the Alzner, and they're 'cheap'. I don't regret going to 'Good Feet' initially, because I didn't get swindled out of $220+. Give Phase4 a try, I think you'll reap the same benefits for a lot less money.

David on 9/06/01 at 18:49 (059285)

Phase4 is not the same as the Alznner, that is if you can get the Phase4. And the Good Feet Stores offer you many different kinds of arch supports besides the Alznner and they do not cost over $200.

sandy s. on 9/09/01 at hrmin (059677)

Yes we here in the south have seen a flood of infomercials on the TV. I drove to the beach and bought them. Boy do I feel better. The only thing that is worse is one of my arches, does it get better with support? Or is it dependant on the support? I can't get out of bed and walk bare footed, the pain is too much- put on my shoes with support and no problem....is this normal? Is it possible to strengthen the arch so support isn't needed?
Sandy S.

Carl on 7/27/01 at 13:14 (054518)

Never tried Alznner, but for that price you might as well go with custom. If you are looking for high qaulity, affordable pre-molded orthodics (about $50.00 per pair), I recommend Ortho-Dynamics line - http://www.orthodynamics.com . They provide good arch support, control and cushioning.

JudyS on 7/27/01 at 15:41 (054540)

Dr. Davis - there is an on-going discussion here re: the Alzners and the consensus seems to be that they are all hype - expensive hype at that. Theoretically they can bring any foot in to proper alignment. I had some for a brief time (paid $80.00 through my chiropractor) but found them to be so dramatically structured that I just couldn't handle them. I reasoned eventually that it doesn't seem right to try to actually change the structure of the foot - although I suppose that's a theory all its own - and I was concerned about creating new problems.
The new-dad pedorthodude here, Richard, has some good perspective on those devices - I hope he responds here.

Nancy N on 7/27/01 at 19:29 (054574)

I've also seen them advertised for a lot less money ($40-ish?) as 'Phase 4 Orthotics.' But they're exactly the same thing (they might've changed the color, but that's it).

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/27/01 at hrmin (054577)

I ordered and recieved a pair of the Phase 4 orthotics and they do seem to be a carbon copy of the Alznners. I try to obtain such products whenever possible so I can evaluate them for my patients' benefit.

The Alznner people appear to be very angry about their Phase 4 competitors. I guess they do not like being beaten at their own game. I had commented on the Phase 4 on a forum entitled, 'Does the Alznner effect make sense or is it a con?' http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/goto?forumid=22044
I recieved angry responses from the Alznner people and their podiatry consultant Harry Hlavac, DPM. I discovered that forum before this one but feel that this is a far more objective and helpful one. I would appreciate it if readers of this forum would take a look at the Alznner forum and give me some support there.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 7/30/01 at 11:18 (054802)

You guys know how I feel about these things.....

Richard

BG CPED on 8/11/01 at 21:31 (056378)

With all due respect to Dr Hvac I would like to see his research and or theory on what and why the Alzner is that great. And at over $200 it is like paying $350 for a pair of NIKE. I am sorry to sound pissy but I am tired of them. In my area they have a clown that advises old ladies not to have surgery and is over the line. I will look at the forum and see what they claim.

Kerry C. on 8/20/01 at hrmin (057245)

I've just purchased some Alznners from a local 'Good Feet' store without really checking into it to make sure that this company is credible. They are very expensive, and they tried to sell me dress shoe inserts as well. I have a bad feeling I wasted my money, since these can't be returned once purchased. I've only had them for 3 days so I have no idea if they will work or not. But do you know if it's possible to see what the response was to these other people's questions on this message board? I want to find published articles or something that will tell me if there are other companies that make supports that are just as good, if this is a ripoff, or what. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated.

-Kerry C.

Erskin T. on 9/03/01 at 10:44 (058910)

I also purchased a set of inserts from the Good Feet Store. They tried to sell me the $220.00 set, but I declined and purchased the cheaper 'Barefoot' version, made of rubber instead of plastic for about $60.00. I recently saw the advertisment for Phase4 Orthotics. I'm going to give them a try. They seem to replicate the Alzner, and they're 'cheap'. I don't regret going to 'Good Feet' initially, because I didn't get swindled out of $220+. Give Phase4 a try, I think you'll reap the same benefits for a lot less money.

David on 9/06/01 at 18:49 (059285)

Phase4 is not the same as the Alznner, that is if you can get the Phase4. And the Good Feet Stores offer you many different kinds of arch supports besides the Alznner and they do not cost over $200.

sandy s. on 9/09/01 at hrmin (059677)

Yes we here in the south have seen a flood of infomercials on the TV. I drove to the beach and bought them. Boy do I feel better. The only thing that is worse is one of my arches, does it get better with support? Or is it dependant on the support? I can't get out of bed and walk bare footed, the pain is too much- put on my shoes with support and no problem....is this normal? Is it possible to strengthen the arch so support isn't needed?
Sandy S.