Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis: Flat Feet

Posted by Rob on 7/27/01 at hrmin (054519)

I have flat feet and was wondering what are the best shoes I can get without having them custome made? It's hard to find a comfortable shoe for someone with flat feet. Also, since I have flat feet, do I need arch supports? Someone told me I do because my feet are flat. Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis: Flat Feet

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/01 at 15:07 (054531)

It isn't the flat feet that could cause you problems it is the abnormal pronation that may go with this. This is the abnormal motion in the foot as the foot hits the ground during the initial phase of heel contact to the ground during the gait cycle. So shoes ?? The shank of the shoe needs to be stiff. Alan Edmonds makes a good shoes. Church's makes a very good shoes. I wear it myself.

Rob on 7/31/01 at 13:25 (054971)

But do I still need arch supports since I have flat feet. Also, is swimming a good excercise for my foot problems?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/27/01 at 15:07 (054531)

It isn't the flat feet that could cause you problems it is the abnormal pronation that may go with this. This is the abnormal motion in the foot as the foot hits the ground during the initial phase of heel contact to the ground during the gait cycle. So shoes ?? The shank of the shoe needs to be stiff. Alan Edmonds makes a good shoes. Church's makes a very good shoes. I wear it myself.

Rob on 7/31/01 at 13:25 (054971)

But do I still need arch supports since I have flat feet. Also, is swimming a good excercise for my foot problems?