Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post Op Day 3--and counting....

Posted by CindyF. on 7/28/01 at 07:04 (054619)

Well guys...I had my surgery 3 days ago.
It went pretty well...but my Doctor had me stay over night.....but by the next morning...I was ready to get out of that place...
I came home with a very heavy casted splint....My Ortho stated I had a severe amout of scar tissue he removed from all areas of the foot...
My official Dx. on the operating sheet was..'Planter Fascitis and Anterior Tarsel Tunnel syndrome..
He said I have about a 4 inch incision on the inside ankle of left ankle...and a 4 inch incision just on the top of my left foot...down the center from my ankle toward my toes...
I am to keep it elevated all the time...
I notice if I let it down to go to the bathroom..it hurts some from the pressure...so I try my best to hurry...
I'm down to taking a painpill every 8 hours now....and yes...around the clock...
The swelling hasn't been too bad because I'm following orders and keeping it elevated...
I have to admit....I was really scared before the surgery....thinking I was going to be in all the severe pain....
But I noticed if you keep it up....and take some kind of routine pain pills...yhe pain isn;t really all that bad...
I'm fortunate to have my wonderful husband who helps me around the house....
Oh...I also have both a wheelchair (with left leg lift...which I have put a pillow on to help heep my foot comfy)and crutches....but with me being a large person....I find the wheelchair much easier to use in the house...
So...the best thing I can say at this point...is 'so far so good'..
Will keep you informed of my progress...
Thanks guys...
Cindy

Re: really hope it was a success

elliott on 7/29/01 at 15:13 (054709)

You know, there has been so little traffic here lately that it made me wonder if no one here had TTS anymore (would it were so).

Cindy, the key with TTS surgery is not the immediate post-surgical pain. Given the possibly long-term ramifications and unpredictability of TTS surgery, I view temporary pain as no pain at all (little comfort for you now while it hurts!), i.e. if it will be gone soon and patient gets better it's all OK. Please keep us updated; we're thinking of you (and even your short-term pain!).

CindyF on 7/30/01 at 01:58 (054754)

Thanks Elliott...
I was wondering the same thing...I figured after my surgery...I was the last...*L*
Well..it's been 4 & 1/2 days now...and my main complaint is trying to sleep with this heavy cast on...*L*
I was having trouble keeping my casted foot on top of the pillows at night...then I remembered what my Ortho suggested.
Just a tip....place the pillows under the mattress and it will elevate the matress enough....and you won't have to worry about your foot constantly falling off a pillow....then I place another pillow between my feet...and I could turn or roll without any problems from the heavy cast.
The pain has been minimal...I have found that Motrin 800mg. does wonders...and I'm not drowsy from it.
I hope my recovery so far will show others that this surgery isn't such a painful thing as I have seen posted on here.
I know I still have the hardest part ahead of me....the removal of the cast and trying to walk.....but I am taking this recovery one day at a time...with the knowledge that one day I will be much better....*S*
Cindy

Re: Post Op Day 3--and counting....

Pat B. on 8/01/01 at hrmin (055065)

I just had my TTS surgery about 18 hours ago. I am feeling pretty darn good. The doctor just informed me however that they put a long lasting anesthetic in it. I guess it works well along with the Vicodens. I have been keeping my foot iced and elevated and it really does the trick. I almost feel like I could go to work!! I won't though for 2 weeks. I am using crutches when I have to and my computer chair on wheels to get around the house which I believe works better than a wheelchair. I scoot around pretty quick!! I will say that I had trouble sleeping with this rock on my foot.

The doctor told me after my surgery that the tendon in my arch was hard as a rock and he could not even get an instrument in it. He had a little fight. I also had an extra tendon in my ankle. I will have to have surgery on my other foot as well as that is probably the same and it hurts often now. It is in about stage 2 of what my other foot was (past the heel and arch burning and into the ankle now). I pray that this recovery goes well so I have more of a positive outlook for the other foot. He did fill it with cortisone for me to help with the dependency of it now. There is not much of a win win situation when it comes to two bad feet.

I will let you know of my progress. I thank everyone for sharing recovery ideas. The only information I have ever found on TTS is on the internet so this is great. Many people in the medical profession have not even heard of this which really surprises me and sometimes scares me. I know without this, I would feel quite alone. Once again, thank you all and good luck.

elliott on 7/29/01 at 15:13 (054709)

You know, there has been so little traffic here lately that it made me wonder if no one here had TTS anymore (would it were so).

Cindy, the key with TTS surgery is not the immediate post-surgical pain. Given the possibly long-term ramifications and unpredictability of TTS surgery, I view temporary pain as no pain at all (little comfort for you now while it hurts!), i.e. if it will be gone soon and patient gets better it's all OK. Please keep us updated; we're thinking of you (and even your short-term pain!).

CindyF on 7/30/01 at 01:58 (054754)

Thanks Elliott...
I was wondering the same thing...I figured after my surgery...I was the last...*L*
Well..it's been 4 & 1/2 days now...and my main complaint is trying to sleep with this heavy cast on...*L*
I was having trouble keeping my casted foot on top of the pillows at night...then I remembered what my Ortho suggested.
Just a tip....place the pillows under the mattress and it will elevate the matress enough....and you won't have to worry about your foot constantly falling off a pillow....then I place another pillow between my feet...and I could turn or roll without any problems from the heavy cast.
The pain has been minimal...I have found that Motrin 800mg. does wonders...and I'm not drowsy from it.
I hope my recovery so far will show others that this surgery isn't such a painful thing as I have seen posted on here.
I know I still have the hardest part ahead of me....the removal of the cast and trying to walk.....but I am taking this recovery one day at a time...with the knowledge that one day I will be much better....*S*
Cindy

Re: Post Op Day 3--and counting....

Pat B. on 8/01/01 at hrmin (055065)

I just had my TTS surgery about 18 hours ago. I am feeling pretty darn good. The doctor just informed me however that they put a long lasting anesthetic in it. I guess it works well along with the Vicodens. I have been keeping my foot iced and elevated and it really does the trick. I almost feel like I could go to work!! I won't though for 2 weeks. I am using crutches when I have to and my computer chair on wheels to get around the house which I believe works better than a wheelchair. I scoot around pretty quick!! I will say that I had trouble sleeping with this rock on my foot.

The doctor told me after my surgery that the tendon in my arch was hard as a rock and he could not even get an instrument in it. He had a little fight. I also had an extra tendon in my ankle. I will have to have surgery on my other foot as well as that is probably the same and it hurts often now. It is in about stage 2 of what my other foot was (past the heel and arch burning and into the ankle now). I pray that this recovery goes well so I have more of a positive outlook for the other foot. He did fill it with cortisone for me to help with the dependency of it now. There is not much of a win win situation when it comes to two bad feet.

I will let you know of my progress. I thank everyone for sharing recovery ideas. The only information I have ever found on TTS is on the internet so this is great. Many people in the medical profession have not even heard of this which really surprises me and sometimes scares me. I know without this, I would feel quite alone. Once again, thank you all and good luck.