Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotics/shoes

Posted by john h on 7/28/01 at 17:11 (054658)

i use Footmax semi-rigid orthotics. They are made in Canada and a lot of Podiatrist do use them. In looking at their website today http://www.footmax.com i see that they make sandals for men and women with the custom orthotic footbed for your feet. the site is worth a look. they are the company that uses the pads you walk across sensing your foot pressure at mony points on the foot whil in a dynamic mode. this info is fed to a computer from which your orthotics are made.

Re: orthotics/shoes

Julie on 7/29/01 at 02:23 (054675)

John, were your orthotics casted and made for your particular feet?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/01 at hrmin (054693)

Footmaxx has a proprietary system in which the patient walks over a computerized pressure mat and the data is sent to Footmaxx for fabrication.
I tried their system out im my office for a while. I think that they produce a decent device for people who do not have difficult pathology.

Dr. Nicholas Sol of Colorado Springs, CO claims to have taken a tour of their factory and stated online that they were using the data to modify prefabricated orthotics. He was promptly sued for his comments by Footmax.
There really is nothing wrong with a modified prefabricated device except that doctors, patients and insurance companies need to know for sure what is being produced and dispensed. I informed my local Footmaxx representative that they made a mistake in suing Dr. Sol as it has really hurt their image in my profession and has, in the long run, cost them more business.

Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/29/01 at 14:24 (054705)

I also used footmaxx for a period of two years. I did an experience with them to determine the patient satisfaction with them. I charged $495 per pair. Patients will given the opportunity to return them after wearing them for 90 days. If they were unhappy with them all they had to do was return them and all money was returned without any questions. We did about 100 pairs. The return rate was 13%.

I still like the casting of the patient non-weight bearing in a neutral postion. I am now using EVA orthosis by Richard. Very very high satisfaction rate . Patients love the fit, love the comfort. I love the control of the abnormal pronation. You get tremendous customer support for the doctor and the patients with Richard's lab.

Ed,

You should take a look at EVA and the way that Richard makes his orthosis. They are really first class.

john h on 7/30/01 at 09:07 (054780)

julie: footmax did not use a cast form making the orthotic. you walk several times across a pad that has hundreds of sensors that relate pressures of your foot to a computer. the computer screen will bring up a 3d image of your foot and how your foot strikes the floor with related pressures. they use this to make the orthotic. you do not buy directly from the manufacturer. you have to buy from a doctor sho has the equipment to perform the computer test. the custom sandals will be created the same way. i sort of like the looks of both the men's and ladie's sandals. the footmax i use is a semi-rigid and does have some give though not a lot.

john h on 7/30/01 at 09:11 (054781)

foot max is very good about making adjustments to your orthotics. One of their local reps is Snell Prosethic and Orthotic Labs and they will make any adjustment i want free of charge. Initally the arch was just a little high and they promptly adjusted it to my liking.

john h on 7/30/01 at 09:17 (054782)

dr z: do you do your casting with the patient lying prone on their stomach or back? or do you do it with them lying down. i find it interesting that different doctors and even labs do it in a different way.
my footmax cost $400. You guy in New Jersey must be making more money! i sure like the idea of a custom orthotic footbed that is an intregal part of the shoe. i realize that you cannot have a dozen pair of shoes with custom footbeds but i would like a pair of their sandals that were custom made.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/30/01 at 09:31 (054788)

I only adjust free of charge. :-)
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/01 at hrmin (054797)

Thanks for the info. Richard is sending me a sample orthotic to look at.
Ed

john h on 8/01/01 at 09:47 (055056)

i received a message from footmax that to purchase their sandals to go to the place i purchased my orthotics and they would do the foot analysis and the sandals would be made with a 5 day turnaround. i bet these babies are some kind of expensive. any of you docs ever sell their custom made sandals with built in custom foot bed? the sandals in my view are very nice looking.

Julie on 7/29/01 at 02:23 (054675)

John, were your orthotics casted and made for your particular feet?

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/01 at hrmin (054693)

Footmaxx has a proprietary system in which the patient walks over a computerized pressure mat and the data is sent to Footmaxx for fabrication.
I tried their system out im my office for a while. I think that they produce a decent device for people who do not have difficult pathology.

Dr. Nicholas Sol of Colorado Springs, CO claims to have taken a tour of their factory and stated online that they were using the data to modify prefabricated orthotics. He was promptly sued for his comments by Footmax.
There really is nothing wrong with a modified prefabricated device except that doctors, patients and insurance companies need to know for sure what is being produced and dispensed. I informed my local Footmaxx representative that they made a mistake in suing Dr. Sol as it has really hurt their image in my profession and has, in the long run, cost them more business.

Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/29/01 at 14:24 (054705)

I also used footmaxx for a period of two years. I did an experience with them to determine the patient satisfaction with them. I charged $495 per pair. Patients will given the opportunity to return them after wearing them for 90 days. If they were unhappy with them all they had to do was return them and all money was returned without any questions. We did about 100 pairs. The return rate was 13%.

I still like the casting of the patient non-weight bearing in a neutral postion. I am now using EVA orthosis by Richard. Very very high satisfaction rate . Patients love the fit, love the comfort. I love the control of the abnormal pronation. You get tremendous customer support for the doctor and the patients with Richard's lab.

Ed,

You should take a look at EVA and the way that Richard makes his orthosis. They are really first class.

john h on 7/30/01 at 09:07 (054780)

julie: footmax did not use a cast form making the orthotic. you walk several times across a pad that has hundreds of sensors that relate pressures of your foot to a computer. the computer screen will bring up a 3d image of your foot and how your foot strikes the floor with related pressures. they use this to make the orthotic. you do not buy directly from the manufacturer. you have to buy from a doctor sho has the equipment to perform the computer test. the custom sandals will be created the same way. i sort of like the looks of both the men's and ladie's sandals. the footmax i use is a semi-rigid and does have some give though not a lot.

john h on 7/30/01 at 09:11 (054781)

foot max is very good about making adjustments to your orthotics. One of their local reps is Snell Prosethic and Orthotic Labs and they will make any adjustment i want free of charge. Initally the arch was just a little high and they promptly adjusted it to my liking.

john h on 7/30/01 at 09:17 (054782)

dr z: do you do your casting with the patient lying prone on their stomach or back? or do you do it with them lying down. i find it interesting that different doctors and even labs do it in a different way.
my footmax cost $400. You guy in New Jersey must be making more money! i sure like the idea of a custom orthotic footbed that is an intregal part of the shoe. i realize that you cannot have a dozen pair of shoes with custom footbeds but i would like a pair of their sandals that were custom made.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/30/01 at 09:31 (054788)

I only adjust free of charge. :-)
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/01 at hrmin (054797)

Thanks for the info. Richard is sending me a sample orthotic to look at.
Ed

john h on 8/01/01 at 09:47 (055056)

i received a message from footmax that to purchase their sandals to go to the place i purchased my orthotics and they would do the foot analysis and the sandals would be made with a 5 day turnaround. i bet these babies are some kind of expensive. any of you docs ever sell their custom made sandals with built in custom foot bed? the sandals in my view are very nice looking.