Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

black cherry juice / heelspurs trials

Posted by Scott R on 7/28/01 at 18:09 (054661)

I had great success for my carpal tunnel using black cherry juice concentrate and it seemed to help my feet which were only mildly painful before taking it. So I recommended it about a month ago on the home page and asked people to email me if they found it helpful or not. 2 have said it helped. Below are their emails. Please give it a try and let me know if it does or doesn't work. My guess is that it will work better than the Jade.

I've been thinking of supporting trials for various products. For example, I could buy items in lots of 20 and ship them out at cost to those who sign up as an 'official heelspurs.com product reviewer'. To become a reviewer, you would have to agree to purchase 1 item per month at wholesale cost and fill out the satisfaction form like we're doing for the Jade. I would them start stocking the best products and point to our 'product review committee's' evaluation of it as a selling point. The problem with black cherry juice concentrate is that it's inexpensive (say $5 for a small bottle) so I can't compete with GNC and make a profit on it. It would turn out to be charity even if I do stock it, or I'd have to overcharge.

============

Hello - wanted to thank you, first, for all the valuable information on your website. I have learned a lot about my two year long heel spur condition and have been heeding the advice you offer. For the first year and half I had not identified the problem.

Along with stretching, ordering the Heel Hugger (which I only used once or
twice) I tried the black cherry juice and within hours the inflammation had
gone down. I was not able to fully stand on that one foot until after
taking the juice. It seems incredible and I am not sure if other conditions or efforts may have also contributed, but it seemed miraculous.

So keep doing your good work and thanks again!

All the best,
DD
==================
>Thank you Scott I increased my intake of black cherry jucies to 3 times
>a day or more, it is working along with the ice. I had the cortisone
>shot in my heel and one in my hip for bursitis . The hip and heel pain
>is cause by my curved spine that was aggraving both my left hip and
>right heel. The black cheer juice has replaced asprin. Thanks Carol

Re: black cherry juice / heelspurs trials

Donna M on 7/28/01 at 20:35 (054665)

Has this black cherry juice undergone fermentation, hmmmm??

Nancy N on 7/28/01 at 22:11 (054669)

Are we talking about ordinary black cherry juice? Or is it some special blend? Can you get the same effect by eating black cherries? Any other details?

Lisa C. on 7/29/01 at 00:20 (054671)

I can't beleive that I am reading about black cherry juice here. My mother had severe heel pain and read an article recommending the juice for heel pain. She drank it daily for weeks and she has been pain free ever since. When I first got this pain, I tried it on her advice, & didn't notice any difference. When I found heelspurs I figured that it was a coincidense that her pain went away after drinking cherry juice. She is not a 'health nut' but she thought that this was too easy not to try. Is this the first time black cherry juice has been suggested here? I'm going to try it again without the cynical mind!

Julie on 7/29/01 at 03:21 (054679)

I did a Google search on black cherry juices. Here's the url of the most informative website I've found so far:

http://www.cherryjuicepower.com

And here is an extract from this site's page on Health Benefits (which appear to be many, including anti-inflammatory properties:

Anti-inflammatory Health Benefits Research shows Tart cherry juice is 10 times more effective than aspirin in reducing pain caused by inflammation, arthritis or gout.Drinking CHERRYJUICEPOWER tart cherry juice daily may help:
* Prevent as well as treat many kinds of pain.
* Provide some relief for joint discomfort.
* Provide some degree of free movement in arthritis affected knees,
    shoulders, hips, fingers, hands, elbows, wrists, ankles, back or any
    other joints without the usual adverse side effects of aspirin or
    ibuprofen on the stomach and the kidney.
* Reduce inflammation of joints.
* Improve mobility.
* Reduce headache.

It's undoubtedly worth trying.

Scott, I like your idea of a product review committe. I'd love to volunteer to be on it, but I won't, because the cost of shipping things to England would be prohibitive and also because my PF is under control now, so I wouldn't be a very good guinea pig.

But I am certainly going to hunt for black cherry juice concentrate (which I have never seen here - but I wasn't looking, was I? I've been eating pounds of black cherries lately, though - they're especially good this year.)

Re: cherry CONCENTRATE, not plain juice

Scott R on 7/29/01 at 08:40 (054683)

That website looks like a good place to order it. I've created another database for keeping track of our results for the Cherry Juice Concentrate. I've placed a link to it below the Jade on the message board home page. I've simplified it some by taking off the option to email and removed the 'activity level' blanks. It still has pain level and 'satisfaction level' blanks. Please provide any negative feedback about this design because I may start using it for any new products we want to evaluate.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/01 at hrmin (054692)

One of the problems all health practitioners face is patient compliance. We provide prescriptions and recommendations but then have no idea what patients do when they get home. There was a study at the Washington, D.C. Veterans Administration Hospital (did my residency there) about 20 years ago in which patients were prescribed riboflavin (Vitamin B2) to take 4 times a day. Riboflavin was used because it causes a distinct yellow color of the urine so urine samples were taken of the paticipants to see how much riboflavin they actually took. I do not remember the exact numbers but over 70% did not take the riboflavin 4 times a day as prescribed. The numbers looked progressively better at 3, 2 and once a day. Some of the newer anti-inflammatory drugs such as Vioxx are only taken once a day.

The easier and more pleasant a treatment, obviously, the better compliance will be. I am looking forward to the results on cherry juice concentrate. If it works, it certainly will be easy to get people to use such a pleasant medicine.
Ed

Mary Ann S on 7/29/01 at 17:55 (054716)

HOw much of the black cherry juice did you take? I notice on the site Julie suggested that it has 110 calories in 1.2oz. Someone on a diet or controlled diet(diabetic) should be aware of the calories.

Re: Cherry juie clarification?

Nancy N on 7/29/01 at 18:17 (054721)

Can anyone clarify how much of the juice/concentrate is taken daily? I bought a small bottle of concentrate to try, and it said that I'd get 12 servings if I use 8 teaspoons at a time, so I just had that mixed with a glass of water. Tasted just like juice to me, so I am not sure if there's much difference between regular juice and the concentrate, either. I noticed that the site Julie found referred to tart cherries, which are not the same as black cherries--anybody know if it makes a difference?? I think details would be very helpful here--and Mary Ann is right, the concentrate is quite high in sugar (probably fructose) so it's important for people to be aware of that as well.

I'm just afraid I'm going to get mighty sick of cherry juice.

Re: how much to use

Scott R on 7/29/01 at 18:47 (054725)

Natural cherry concentrate is about 75% sugar. The dose I was recommended was 1 tablespoon twice a day. That's the big one, not the little one. So you can get a lot out of 1 small container. It worked. I just drank it like cough syrup. Mighty sweet, but tasty. It's just cherry juice so tens time that amount won't hurt but maybe it doesn't do anything after 4 tablespoons. Maybe just cherry juice would do it, but don't be part of the 'study' for that.

Nancy N on 7/29/01 at 19:16 (054727)

Thanks for the info, Scott. I guess I've had my dose for today, and will start again tomorrow!

Re: how much to use/STRAIGHT Scott??

Donna M on 7/29/01 at 23:40 (054748)

So, Scott do you take it straight, as a concentrate by the tablespoon like you said, or do you dilute it with water and achieve the same effects?
Donna

Lisa C on 7/30/01 at 02:17 (054757)

I tried Knudsen brand black cherry juice and it is not terribly sweet. It wasn't a concentrate though. Available in health food stores. This is the same kind that my Mom used and it worked for her. Is it supposed to be a particular brand/type of concentrate? THe kind I got comes in glass bottles, I can't imagine shipping that for weight and breakage reasons.

Re: uh, not to have a one-track mind, but...

elliott on 7/30/01 at 06:46 (054768)

could you send some people a placebo? :-)

john h on 7/30/01 at 08:46 (054776)

where do you buy black cherry juice? beans and grains? i am like mikey and will try anything. is this 'pure' black cherry juice or diluted? i love bingham cherries and eat them all season. i will go to beans today and if they have it will replace my orange juice with it.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/30/01 at 09:23 (054786)

This does not sound weird to me at all. I have to be honest. My wife and I used to juice carrots, cabbage, apples and other fruit. We went on a juice/veggie diet, or better yet, 'life style change'. We lost almost all our excess weight, me 20 lbs, her 30 lbs in about a couple of months.

To get to my point, we felt the best we have ever felt in our lives! Kind of invincible to sickness. I strongly believe fresh juice from mother earth's own 'pharmacy' made the difference. All my aches and pains went away when we were doing this, so I do believe jucing has wonderful medicinal qualities.

I know you guys are talking about concentrate, but I know that this worked for me. why did we stop? We over did it. We tried to do it always first thing in the morning, and we became burnt out. We are getting back into it though, and I am excited.
Richard, C.Ped

Scott R on 7/30/01 at 11:34 (054803)

I re-read my message. I was pretty cryptic. Yes, I drink it straight out of a bottle. Maybe two etaspoons at a tmie. I was trying to increase my daily walking and can feel some swelling, so now I'm trying it for the feet. If you don't notice improvement in a week, then I'd say it's not helping much. I noticed an improvement in my carpal tunnel in about a day or two. Yes, the CONCENTRATE. GNC and some health-food stores should have it.

Nancy N on 7/30/01 at 11:42 (054805)

John--

I found mine at a local Vitamin World shop--16oz for about $10. They have a website (I looked for it there before trekking to the store) at http://www.vitaminworld.com . But I would think any health food/vitamin store would probably have it. Call first before you head out.

john h on 7/31/01 at 09:42 (054939)

cannnot resist: scott you drink to 'etaspoons' at a time? i checked our kitchen drawer and i cannot find an etaspoon. i ordered a bottle of the juice from julie's website and shall give it a go. i also have been eating a lot of black cherries this year as they are my favorite snack.

Re: Mine too

Julie on 7/31/01 at 09:56 (054945)

Me too, John. I've been o'd ing on black cherries (from America!) Not as good as they were when I was a girl, but good enough. Very more-ish.

Watch out for those eta spoons. They might be a secret Basque terrorist weapon.

ellen w on 7/31/01 at 10:17 (054950)

I can just see those Basques using eta spoons to sling black cherries at their targets....

nancy s. on 7/31/01 at 10:20 (054951)

i checked my drawer, and i have 18 etaspoons. i'll send them out to the first 18 requestors. (i don't use them myself.)

Scott R on 8/12/01 at 06:28 (056404)

Here's another person who emailed to say my black cherry juice helped them:
==============
Also, I had read one of your articles where you had said that you wanted to hear back from people who found black cherry juice to be effective. I have been suffering for about a year and a half now. I have tried various arch supports, rest (including crutches for a week), ice, heat, ice/heat, massage, all with little success.

I started including black cherry juice in my morning fruit smoothy and would say that my pain has been reduced by half. Could be anything that has contributed to this reduction in pain, but I believe that it was the black cherry juice.

Nancy B. on 8/30/01 at hrmin (058521)

What is the difference between black cherry juice and tart red cherry juice?

Granda11@aol.com

Julie on 8/31/01 at 03:25 (058559)

Nancy, this question was asked earlier. I looked into it, and found no information about the difference on any of the websites, and offered my opinion that in terms of content and effect (both are recommended for arthritic conditions) there is probably no difference apart from taste. The 'tart' juice comes from cherries picked before they are fully ripe (therefore still red) and the black cherry juice, which is sweet, from cherries picked when they are ripe. Most of the websites were Michigan based, where there are apparently billions of cherry trees, so it would make cherry-grower sense to pick the fruit before it's fully ripe.

Donna M on 7/28/01 at 20:35 (054665)

Has this black cherry juice undergone fermentation, hmmmm??

Nancy N on 7/28/01 at 22:11 (054669)

Are we talking about ordinary black cherry juice? Or is it some special blend? Can you get the same effect by eating black cherries? Any other details?

Lisa C. on 7/29/01 at 00:20 (054671)

I can't beleive that I am reading about black cherry juice here. My mother had severe heel pain and read an article recommending the juice for heel pain. She drank it daily for weeks and she has been pain free ever since. When I first got this pain, I tried it on her advice, & didn't notice any difference. When I found heelspurs I figured that it was a coincidense that her pain went away after drinking cherry juice. She is not a 'health nut' but she thought that this was too easy not to try. Is this the first time black cherry juice has been suggested here? I'm going to try it again without the cynical mind!

Julie on 7/29/01 at 03:21 (054679)

I did a Google search on black cherry juices. Here's the url of the most informative website I've found so far:

http://www.cherryjuicepower.com

And here is an extract from this site's page on Health Benefits (which appear to be many, including anti-inflammatory properties:

Anti-inflammatory Health Benefits Research shows Tart cherry juice is 10 times more effective than aspirin in reducing pain caused by inflammation, arthritis or gout.Drinking CHERRYJUICEPOWER tart cherry juice daily may help:
* Prevent as well as treat many kinds of pain.
* Provide some relief for joint discomfort.
* Provide some degree of free movement in arthritis affected knees,
    shoulders, hips, fingers, hands, elbows, wrists, ankles, back or any
    other joints without the usual adverse side effects of aspirin or
    ibuprofen on the stomach and the kidney.
* Reduce inflammation of joints.
* Improve mobility.
* Reduce headache.

It's undoubtedly worth trying.

Scott, I like your idea of a product review committe. I'd love to volunteer to be on it, but I won't, because the cost of shipping things to England would be prohibitive and also because my PF is under control now, so I wouldn't be a very good guinea pig.

But I am certainly going to hunt for black cherry juice concentrate (which I have never seen here - but I wasn't looking, was I? I've been eating pounds of black cherries lately, though - they're especially good this year.)

Scott R on 7/29/01 at 08:40 (054683)

That website looks like a good place to order it. I've created another database for keeping track of our results for the Cherry Juice Concentrate. I've placed a link to it below the Jade on the message board home page. I've simplified it some by taking off the option to email and removed the 'activity level' blanks. It still has pain level and 'satisfaction level' blanks. Please provide any negative feedback about this design because I may start using it for any new products we want to evaluate.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/29/01 at hrmin (054692)

One of the problems all health practitioners face is patient compliance. We provide prescriptions and recommendations but then have no idea what patients do when they get home. There was a study at the Washington, D.C. Veterans Administration Hospital (did my residency there) about 20 years ago in which patients were prescribed riboflavin (Vitamin B2) to take 4 times a day. Riboflavin was used because it causes a distinct yellow color of the urine so urine samples were taken of the paticipants to see how much riboflavin they actually took. I do not remember the exact numbers but over 70% did not take the riboflavin 4 times a day as prescribed. The numbers looked progressively better at 3, 2 and once a day. Some of the newer anti-inflammatory drugs such as Vioxx are only taken once a day.

The easier and more pleasant a treatment, obviously, the better compliance will be. I am looking forward to the results on cherry juice concentrate. If it works, it certainly will be easy to get people to use such a pleasant medicine.
Ed

Mary Ann S on 7/29/01 at 17:55 (054716)

HOw much of the black cherry juice did you take? I notice on the site Julie suggested that it has 110 calories in 1.2oz. Someone on a diet or controlled diet(diabetic) should be aware of the calories.

Re: Cherry juie clarification?

Nancy N on 7/29/01 at 18:17 (054721)

Can anyone clarify how much of the juice/concentrate is taken daily? I bought a small bottle of concentrate to try, and it said that I'd get 12 servings if I use 8 teaspoons at a time, so I just had that mixed with a glass of water. Tasted just like juice to me, so I am not sure if there's much difference between regular juice and the concentrate, either. I noticed that the site Julie found referred to tart cherries, which are not the same as black cherries--anybody know if it makes a difference?? I think details would be very helpful here--and Mary Ann is right, the concentrate is quite high in sugar (probably fructose) so it's important for people to be aware of that as well.

I'm just afraid I'm going to get mighty sick of cherry juice.

Scott R on 7/29/01 at 18:47 (054725)

Natural cherry concentrate is about 75% sugar. The dose I was recommended was 1 tablespoon twice a day. That's the big one, not the little one. So you can get a lot out of 1 small container. It worked. I just drank it like cough syrup. Mighty sweet, but tasty. It's just cherry juice so tens time that amount won't hurt but maybe it doesn't do anything after 4 tablespoons. Maybe just cherry juice would do it, but don't be part of the 'study' for that.

Nancy N on 7/29/01 at 19:16 (054727)

Thanks for the info, Scott. I guess I've had my dose for today, and will start again tomorrow!

Donna M on 7/29/01 at 23:40 (054748)

So, Scott do you take it straight, as a concentrate by the tablespoon like you said, or do you dilute it with water and achieve the same effects?
Donna

Lisa C on 7/30/01 at 02:17 (054757)

I tried Knudsen brand black cherry juice and it is not terribly sweet. It wasn't a concentrate though. Available in health food stores. This is the same kind that my Mom used and it worked for her. Is it supposed to be a particular brand/type of concentrate? THe kind I got comes in glass bottles, I can't imagine shipping that for weight and breakage reasons.

Re: uh, not to have a one-track mind, but...

elliott on 7/30/01 at 06:46 (054768)

could you send some people a placebo? :-)

john h on 7/30/01 at 08:46 (054776)

where do you buy black cherry juice? beans and grains? i am like mikey and will try anything. is this 'pure' black cherry juice or diluted? i love bingham cherries and eat them all season. i will go to beans today and if they have it will replace my orange juice with it.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/30/01 at 09:23 (054786)

This does not sound weird to me at all. I have to be honest. My wife and I used to juice carrots, cabbage, apples and other fruit. We went on a juice/veggie diet, or better yet, 'life style change'. We lost almost all our excess weight, me 20 lbs, her 30 lbs in about a couple of months.

To get to my point, we felt the best we have ever felt in our lives! Kind of invincible to sickness. I strongly believe fresh juice from mother earth's own 'pharmacy' made the difference. All my aches and pains went away when we were doing this, so I do believe jucing has wonderful medicinal qualities.

I know you guys are talking about concentrate, but I know that this worked for me. why did we stop? We over did it. We tried to do it always first thing in the morning, and we became burnt out. We are getting back into it though, and I am excited.
Richard, C.Ped

Scott R on 7/30/01 at 11:34 (054803)

I re-read my message. I was pretty cryptic. Yes, I drink it straight out of a bottle. Maybe two etaspoons at a tmie. I was trying to increase my daily walking and can feel some swelling, so now I'm trying it for the feet. If you don't notice improvement in a week, then I'd say it's not helping much. I noticed an improvement in my carpal tunnel in about a day or two. Yes, the CONCENTRATE. GNC and some health-food stores should have it.

Nancy N on 7/30/01 at 11:42 (054805)

John--

I found mine at a local Vitamin World shop--16oz for about $10. They have a website (I looked for it there before trekking to the store) at http://www.vitaminworld.com . But I would think any health food/vitamin store would probably have it. Call first before you head out.

john h on 7/31/01 at 09:42 (054939)

cannnot resist: scott you drink to 'etaspoons' at a time? i checked our kitchen drawer and i cannot find an etaspoon. i ordered a bottle of the juice from julie's website and shall give it a go. i also have been eating a lot of black cherries this year as they are my favorite snack.

Julie on 7/31/01 at 09:56 (054945)

Me too, John. I've been o'd ing on black cherries (from America!) Not as good as they were when I was a girl, but good enough. Very more-ish.

Watch out for those eta spoons. They might be a secret Basque terrorist weapon.

ellen w on 7/31/01 at 10:17 (054950)

I can just see those Basques using eta spoons to sling black cherries at their targets....

nancy s. on 7/31/01 at 10:20 (054951)

i checked my drawer, and i have 18 etaspoons. i'll send them out to the first 18 requestors. (i don't use them myself.)

Scott R on 8/12/01 at 06:28 (056404)

Here's another person who emailed to say my black cherry juice helped them:
==============
Also, I had read one of your articles where you had said that you wanted to hear back from people who found black cherry juice to be effective. I have been suffering for about a year and a half now. I have tried various arch supports, rest (including crutches for a week), ice, heat, ice/heat, massage, all with little success.

I started including black cherry juice in my morning fruit smoothy and would say that my pain has been reduced by half. Could be anything that has contributed to this reduction in pain, but I believe that it was the black cherry juice.

Nancy B. on 8/30/01 at hrmin (058521)

What is the difference between black cherry juice and tart red cherry juice?

Granda11@aol.com

Julie on 8/31/01 at 03:25 (058559)

Nancy, this question was asked earlier. I looked into it, and found no information about the difference on any of the websites, and offered my opinion that in terms of content and effect (both are recommended for arthritic conditions) there is probably no difference apart from taste. The 'tart' juice comes from cherries picked before they are fully ripe (therefore still red) and the black cherry juice, which is sweet, from cherries picked when they are ripe. Most of the websites were Michigan based, where there are apparently billions of cherry trees, so it would make cherry-grower sense to pick the fruit before it's fully ripe.