Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

home again

Posted by clara on 7/29/01 at 05:03 (054680)

Hello! I´m back from my little vacation! Here in Sweden it´s beautiful on the westcoast and we had nice weather all the time. We took a dip every day during our holiday, and my feet´s not hurting me at all sometimes. I am so happy for that!

Now when I check the board I got a little scared of all this virus, it´s really awful - - and I feel sad for it. When I check my e-mail it was a lot of disgusting mails there, but I did not open any of it. It´s sad, because now I do not trust my e-mail anymore.

Well, we have the board anyway and I´m so happy that I´ve found you friends.

Take care

Clara

Re: home again

Lori E. on 7/29/01 at 12:08 (054690)

Clara,
I am happy you had a good vacation. Don't worry too much about the spam and virus stuff, just don't open any unknown documents.
It is wonderful that youur feet aren't hurting you all the time now. I am getting there but am still a ways off from being pain free.
It is good to hear from you.
Next time I will write again in Swedish.
Lori

Re: home again - to Lori

clara on 7/29/01 at 13:11 (054696)

Hi Lori! I hope you´ll get better soon.
Vad roligt att du vill skriva till mig på svenska! Gör gärna det!
Hälsningar

Clara

Julie on 7/29/01 at 14:07 (054704)

Welcome home, Clara. Don't worry too much about the e-mails. It will all die down. Nancy N has given us all lots of good advice about dealing with the virus and various other computer problems.

Re: home again - to Julie

clara on 7/30/01 at 02:34 (054760)

Hello Julie!
Thanks! I will check Nancy´s advices so I won´t worry about virus anymore. I am having a little 'backlash' today... my feet´s hurting AGAIN and I´m not that happy right now. But I´m totally sure that my acu will rescue me, I have an appointment on wednesday (I´m longing!!!), so until then I will rest a lot. And do more yoga - of course! Your book is always by the side of my bed. I think yoga is better than any pills in the world!

Clara

Julie on 7/30/01 at 03:13 (054763)

Hi Clara

I'm VERY sorry your feet are hurting again. But I'll bet it's just a temporary setback. Maybe you were more active on your holiday than you are at home, and enjoying yourself so much you forgot about your feet, and now they're reminding you they're still there. A few days rest and they'll be better. Everyone has setbacks - but if you think back to how your feet were a few months ago, I'd guess there is no comparison.

Let's see how you are towards the end of the week - I'm sure the acupuncture will help - and don't forget to let us know.

I am really touched that you keep Office Yoga by your bedside! I'm glad it helps you.

All the best, Julie

Re: home again - to Julie again!

clara on 7/30/01 at 13:22 (054821)

Hi Julie!

THANKS!!!!!!!! You are so nice and caring - - I cried when I read your post.. Yes, I did! - I am r-e-a-l-l-y having a setback, I crawl around the floor again. I´m on pain-level 5-7. BUT!!! I think you are right, I ran around a lot on our holiday, but it was wonderful! So, it´s not the way it was in feb-march this year! Then I was on pain-level 9-10!!!!

I´ll go on yoga, taping, acu, and so on. Life will go on....

I will keep in touch - I´m sure it will go better again. Soon it will be wednesday - and acupuncture!

How are you doing yourself, Julie? Are your PF hurting at all now, or are you totally 'cured'? (I really hope so!)

All my best to you

Clara

Re: home again - to Clara again!

Julie on 7/30/01 at 17:05 (054849)

Hi Clara

Sure: life WILL go on. So hang in there and look forward to Wednesday and the help you'll get then. 5-7 is a lot better than 9 - and I'll bet the holiday really was worth it.

I'm fine, thanks. No PF problems. I'm still careful, though: always wear trainers with orthotics, or birks. The Year of PF has got me into new foot habits, and I expect they'll stick to me now forever.

Re: Just a random thought

Glenn X on 7/30/01 at 21:44 (054873)

Clara. Don't know your history or circumstances, but reflecting on setbacks I've had in the past; I believe lack of 'heel-cord' flexibility has been the leading culprit. I've only recently come to that realization.

Re: Julie

Clara on 7/31/01 at 02:23 (054901)

Hi Julie! Nice to hear that you´re feeling fine!! Sometimes I think, I sound very egoistic, but I feel for every soul in the world suffering with PF. AND it could be worse. Much worse. So I´m greatful anyway, We have gone thru lots of worse things.

Hugs
from Clara

Re: to Clara

Julie on 7/31/01 at 03:05 (054904)

Hi again, Clara

You NEVER sound egoistic. Quite the reverse. We know you feel a lot. And, yes, it could be worse. Your great attitude will get you through this setback.

Hugs back to you!

Julie

Re: Just a random thought - to Glenn and Julie

Clara on 7/31/01 at 04:11 (054906)

Hi Glenn and Julie!

Thanks Julie! I feel better already, perhaps more on the inside, but it´s something good to start with! Soon it´s wednesday and acupuncture!

Glenn, what do you mean by 'lack of heel-cord flexibility'? I looked in a dictionary, but I cannot find it anywhere. My english are not what it should be sometimes.. :)
Do you mean lack of stretching, or something like that? I have not stretched like I should, I think it hurts too much.
In brief, I have PF for (only!!!!) 6 months, but it was better for 4-5 weeks until past week after holiday on beach, playing around with my kids, and so on. Stupid, but funny and wonderful! But a couple of days when I got home, I was back on level 5 pain again and now I´m crawl around on the floor. I didn´t rest like I should have done and I regret that now.
What helped me was acupuncture, ultrasound, taping, glucosamine pills, and yoga. Yet, I´m sure it will get better again. Two steps forward, and one step back, that´s what it is. It could be worse. But this set-back wasn´t nice, you seem to know what I mean. For how long have you suffered of PF?

Clara

Re: "Heel cord" flexibility

Glenn X on 8/03/01 at 09:07 (055322)

Clara: Heel cord flexibility might not be the best terminology, but a DPM I saw not long ago used it. He was referring to the cord, or tendon that extends from the back of the ankle, just above the heel, up into the calves. Might be called the achilles tendon. What's really being talked about is the length of that tendon and the flexibility of the muscles that it is connected into.

Our 'heel cord' is too inflexible if we can't easily bend our foot back at the ankle. There's an 'angle of dorsiflexion' associated with this move (dorsiflexion being the bending of the ankle, toes moving toward the face). If you were to look at the angle of your leg and foot from the side when dorsiflexing, you'd see something like a 90 degree right angle.

Good flexibility would see something less than 90 degrees (toes getting closer to the face), perhaps even 70 degrees, which means our ankle and calves are quite flexible, which is good. When I was measured six months ago, my angle of dorsiflexion was -14 degrees, meaning (I believe) the angle of my leg to my foot was MORE than 90 degrees, at 104 degrees, which is bad. In Scott's book he talks about why this is bad. You should read it, particularly that part.

I'm not sure what angle we need to maintain in order for flexibility to be under control for PF. Mine was last measured at -2 degrees (better than -14). I'd feel better if it were something like +10 or +15 degrees.

I would strongly encourage you to get your dorsiflexion measured. DPMs and Physical Therapists can do this. (I wish there were a reliable way for us to do it at home. It would be good to track every couple of weeks).

As for how to get flexible; Julie suggested some non-weight-bearing stretches that seem to be working good for me. Maybe you can do a search on her name, or since she posts often, you might narrow it down by searching for 'rudy.' She responded to him on 6/26/01 with a lengthy message on how to do these non-agressive moves.

Flexibility is an essential element of treating PF, and I would encourage you to learn as much as you can about it, and also encourage you to be gentle and patient about increasing yours.

You also might want to search 'Ed Davis.' In the past couple of days he posted a good short description on how to increase tendon flexibility with a night splint.

Re: Clara

Glenn X on 8/03/01 at 09:13 (055324)

Clara: To answer your last question. Been with PF 3 plus years. If I had paid more attention to flexibility and rest in the early days, I'd be better.

Lori E. on 7/29/01 at 12:08 (054690)

Clara,
I am happy you had a good vacation. Don't worry too much about the spam and virus stuff, just don't open any unknown documents.
It is wonderful that youur feet aren't hurting you all the time now. I am getting there but am still a ways off from being pain free.
It is good to hear from you.
Next time I will write again in Swedish.
Lori

Re: home again - to Lori

clara on 7/29/01 at 13:11 (054696)

Hi Lori! I hope you´ll get better soon.
Vad roligt att du vill skriva till mig på svenska! Gör gärna det!
Hälsningar

Clara

Julie on 7/29/01 at 14:07 (054704)

Welcome home, Clara. Don't worry too much about the e-mails. It will all die down. Nancy N has given us all lots of good advice about dealing with the virus and various other computer problems.

clara on 7/30/01 at 02:34 (054760)

Hello Julie!
Thanks! I will check Nancy´s advices so I won´t worry about virus anymore. I am having a little 'backlash' today... my feet´s hurting AGAIN and I´m not that happy right now. But I´m totally sure that my acu will rescue me, I have an appointment on wednesday (I´m longing!!!), so until then I will rest a lot. And do more yoga - of course! Your book is always by the side of my bed. I think yoga is better than any pills in the world!

Clara

Julie on 7/30/01 at 03:13 (054763)

Hi Clara

I'm VERY sorry your feet are hurting again. But I'll bet it's just a temporary setback. Maybe you were more active on your holiday than you are at home, and enjoying yourself so much you forgot about your feet, and now they're reminding you they're still there. A few days rest and they'll be better. Everyone has setbacks - but if you think back to how your feet were a few months ago, I'd guess there is no comparison.

Let's see how you are towards the end of the week - I'm sure the acupuncture will help - and don't forget to let us know.

I am really touched that you keep Office Yoga by your bedside! I'm glad it helps you.

All the best, Julie

Re: home again - to Julie again!

clara on 7/30/01 at 13:22 (054821)

Hi Julie!

THANKS!!!!!!!! You are so nice and caring - - I cried when I read your post.. Yes, I did! - I am r-e-a-l-l-y having a setback, I crawl around the floor again. I´m on pain-level 5-7. BUT!!! I think you are right, I ran around a lot on our holiday, but it was wonderful! So, it´s not the way it was in feb-march this year! Then I was on pain-level 9-10!!!!

I´ll go on yoga, taping, acu, and so on. Life will go on....

I will keep in touch - I´m sure it will go better again. Soon it will be wednesday - and acupuncture!

How are you doing yourself, Julie? Are your PF hurting at all now, or are you totally 'cured'? (I really hope so!)

All my best to you

Clara

Re: home again - to Clara again!

Julie on 7/30/01 at 17:05 (054849)

Hi Clara

Sure: life WILL go on. So hang in there and look forward to Wednesday and the help you'll get then. 5-7 is a lot better than 9 - and I'll bet the holiday really was worth it.

I'm fine, thanks. No PF problems. I'm still careful, though: always wear trainers with orthotics, or birks. The Year of PF has got me into new foot habits, and I expect they'll stick to me now forever.

Re: Just a random thought

Glenn X on 7/30/01 at 21:44 (054873)

Clara. Don't know your history or circumstances, but reflecting on setbacks I've had in the past; I believe lack of 'heel-cord' flexibility has been the leading culprit. I've only recently come to that realization.

Re: Julie

Clara on 7/31/01 at 02:23 (054901)

Hi Julie! Nice to hear that you´re feeling fine!! Sometimes I think, I sound very egoistic, but I feel for every soul in the world suffering with PF. AND it could be worse. Much worse. So I´m greatful anyway, We have gone thru lots of worse things.

Hugs
from Clara

Re: to Clara

Julie on 7/31/01 at 03:05 (054904)

Hi again, Clara

You NEVER sound egoistic. Quite the reverse. We know you feel a lot. And, yes, it could be worse. Your great attitude will get you through this setback.

Hugs back to you!

Julie

Re: Just a random thought - to Glenn and Julie

Clara on 7/31/01 at 04:11 (054906)

Hi Glenn and Julie!

Thanks Julie! I feel better already, perhaps more on the inside, but it´s something good to start with! Soon it´s wednesday and acupuncture!

Glenn, what do you mean by 'lack of heel-cord flexibility'? I looked in a dictionary, but I cannot find it anywhere. My english are not what it should be sometimes.. :)
Do you mean lack of stretching, or something like that? I have not stretched like I should, I think it hurts too much.
In brief, I have PF for (only!!!!) 6 months, but it was better for 4-5 weeks until past week after holiday on beach, playing around with my kids, and so on. Stupid, but funny and wonderful! But a couple of days when I got home, I was back on level 5 pain again and now I´m crawl around on the floor. I didn´t rest like I should have done and I regret that now.
What helped me was acupuncture, ultrasound, taping, glucosamine pills, and yoga. Yet, I´m sure it will get better again. Two steps forward, and one step back, that´s what it is. It could be worse. But this set-back wasn´t nice, you seem to know what I mean. For how long have you suffered of PF?

Clara

Re: "Heel cord" flexibility

Glenn X on 8/03/01 at 09:07 (055322)

Clara: Heel cord flexibility might not be the best terminology, but a DPM I saw not long ago used it. He was referring to the cord, or tendon that extends from the back of the ankle, just above the heel, up into the calves. Might be called the achilles tendon. What's really being talked about is the length of that tendon and the flexibility of the muscles that it is connected into.

Our 'heel cord' is too inflexible if we can't easily bend our foot back at the ankle. There's an 'angle of dorsiflexion' associated with this move (dorsiflexion being the bending of the ankle, toes moving toward the face). If you were to look at the angle of your leg and foot from the side when dorsiflexing, you'd see something like a 90 degree right angle.

Good flexibility would see something less than 90 degrees (toes getting closer to the face), perhaps even 70 degrees, which means our ankle and calves are quite flexible, which is good. When I was measured six months ago, my angle of dorsiflexion was -14 degrees, meaning (I believe) the angle of my leg to my foot was MORE than 90 degrees, at 104 degrees, which is bad. In Scott's book he talks about why this is bad. You should read it, particularly that part.

I'm not sure what angle we need to maintain in order for flexibility to be under control for PF. Mine was last measured at -2 degrees (better than -14). I'd feel better if it were something like +10 or +15 degrees.

I would strongly encourage you to get your dorsiflexion measured. DPMs and Physical Therapists can do this. (I wish there were a reliable way for us to do it at home. It would be good to track every couple of weeks).

As for how to get flexible; Julie suggested some non-weight-bearing stretches that seem to be working good for me. Maybe you can do a search on her name, or since she posts often, you might narrow it down by searching for 'rudy.' She responded to him on 6/26/01 with a lengthy message on how to do these non-agressive moves.

Flexibility is an essential element of treating PF, and I would encourage you to learn as much as you can about it, and also encourage you to be gentle and patient about increasing yours.

You also might want to search 'Ed Davis.' In the past couple of days he posted a good short description on how to increase tendon flexibility with a night splint.

Re: Clara

Glenn X on 8/03/01 at 09:13 (055324)

Clara: To answer your last question. Been with PF 3 plus years. If I had paid more attention to flexibility and rest in the early days, I'd be better.