Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Progress!

Posted by Lori B on 7/29/01 at 20:11 (054736)

I have not been to the board for awhile. I finally found a Pod who took a more aggressive approach to my treatment and it has helped. I did post some of the things we were trying: cortisone shot and meds, orthotics almost all the time (not just when they would fit in my shoes)and birkies the rest of the time,night splint, stretching and finally, Celebrex. I can honestly say my feet are much better. Before, I couldn't stand more than a few minutes, standing after sitting or sleeping was excruciating, and I walked with a shuffle and a pronounced limp. I had to give up walking as my main excercise as I would pay for it for the rest of the day. This probably sounds very familiar to most of you who are regular visitors and suffer from PF too. Anyway, the first thing my Dr. did was order me back into my orthotics. I really didn't see the point as they hadn't seemed to help much when I first got them, but I decided to humor the Dr. so I could prove they didn't work for me. Amazingly, they did work. I wore them in every shoe I could (even in my birkies) and if I couldn't get them in my shoe (they don't work in sandals very well) then I wore my birkies. The cortisone shot and meds seemed to help, so the Dr. put me on daily Celebrex and that has helped. I never go barefoot and stay away from activities that causes stress on the tendons. I can walk again, but have to mind how far I go, and wear orthotics in my shoes. 3 months ago my pain level was at an 8 most of the time (10 if I overdid it) and the Dr. was talking surgery as a last resort measure. Now I would say the pain is at a 1 in my left foot and a 2 in my right. I am hardly ever completely pain free, but it is so much better than before, I will take it. I hope it continues and just wanted to let others know that the tried an true things the Dr. tells you can work if you give them time and not give up too soon.
Here's a wish for pain-free feet for all. Take care.

Re: Progress!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/30/01 at 09:55 (054794)

glad to hear you are moving in the healing direction. Just take your time as your already know

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/01 at hrmin (054795)

Dear Lori and Dr. Z:

I like Lori's characterization of her new treatment as 'aggressive.' Many think that 'agressive treatment' equals surgery. Not so. It is possible to treat agressively via non-surgical modalities.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/30/01 at 09:55 (054794)

glad to hear you are moving in the healing direction. Just take your time as your already know

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/01 at hrmin (054795)

Dear Lori and Dr. Z:

I like Lori's characterization of her new treatment as 'aggressive.' Many think that 'agressive treatment' equals surgery. Not so. It is possible to treat agressively via non-surgical modalities.
Ed