Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hammertoe surgery

Posted by Erica Ingram on 7/29/01 at hrmin (054749)

I recently had hammertoe surgery about 2 weeks ago. I'm having alot of difficulty in walking in the orthopedic shoe and my doctor is going to send me to physical therapy. Is this common for foot surgery? It just seems I have a fear of completely putting weight on the operated foot, because I get frequent toe cramps. I can walk in the shoe for a good while, and then I get this really bad cramp & its like I'm scare to walk. It seems as if fear has taken over. I'm really starting to regret this decision to have the surgery done.

Re: Hammertoe surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/30/01 at 09:53 (054793)

The toe cramping could be from the orthopedic shoe.. If it is very stiff your toes could be overworking. You must realize that you have bone surgery on an area that you are walking on. Two weeks isn't very long after foot surgery. Rest is very important for your body at this point.
Pain, toe cramping is your body telling you to hey buddie not so fast I am trying to heal. So check out the shoe, physical therapy really great for helping feet to heal and rest rest rest my friend

Re: Hammertoe surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/30/01 at 09:53 (054793)

The toe cramping could be from the orthopedic shoe.. If it is very stiff your toes could be overworking. You must realize that you have bone surgery on an area that you are walking on. Two weeks isn't very long after foot surgery. Rest is very important for your body at this point.
Pain, toe cramping is your body telling you to hey buddie not so fast I am trying to heal. So check out the shoe, physical therapy really great for helping feet to heal and rest rest rest my friend