Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hi All, Went to doctor today, guess what

Posted by Paula G. on 7/30/01 at 13:19 (054819)

Went to the orthopedist my doctor referred me to. Takes forever to get into see this guy. Took 3 weeks. Now, today, he schedules a bone scan!
I have had PF for almost two years now and I am finally getting a bone scan? Well, I get that next week, but wait another 3 1/2 weeks to get in to see this same doctor for results and talk about having surgery. This waiting is so hard!
He seems really good. He says he has about 60 % success rate with this surgery. Just after doing everything else and it not working, this is it for me. I have read both good and bad about the surgery, and I feel this is the option for me.
How many of you got the bone scan done sooner than later???? He says he wants to be sure and rule out stress fracture. Strange it took all this time....all these treatments to do this. I thought an MRI would show that.
Don't make my mistake. I had a doctor do an MRI and it was normal, so he told me I was normal and nothing was wrong with me. Why is the waiting so hard?

Re: Hi All, Went to doctor today, guess what

Clara on 7/30/01 at 13:27 (054822)

Hi Paula G!

I am really sorry for you! 2 YEARS!!!!!!! And NOW the doctor gets you a bone scan!? I have had PF for (only!!) 6 months - well - that´s nothing!!
I have not got bone scan - the doctors says it´s not necessary (but I think it is!).

I hope you now get good help! Are you going to get surgery now?

Take care!

Clara

Paula G. on 7/30/01 at 13:32 (054826)

Yes, Clara, he will do the surgery, praise the Lord!! I hate to say I am excited about it, but I am. It has been so long with no results. He says there could be stress fractures that x-rays could not pick up. I know he is good and doing his job requesting this...just more time waiting...
At least you got help. 6 months I was still in denial just saying I had tired feet.
I think the sooner you begin treatments the better you are.

wendyn on 7/30/01 at 13:56 (054828)

Paula - I had a bone scan very early on. It is not a big deal - you just have to stay still for quite a while - which for some of us is not real easy! The bone scan will help ensure there isn't anything they missed. I'm suprised it wasn't done before.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/01 at 18:46 (054854)

MRI may pick up a stress fracture--it depends on the resolution of the MRI.
One of the tests for stress fracture of the heel is termed the 'compression test.' Grab the bottom of the heel and squeeze from side to side--if it hurts then a stress fracture is more likely. Bone scans are the most accurate way to rule out stress fractures.

Confidence in an individual is important. A 60% success rate is worrisome though. You need to know the treatment plan for your foot if you are in the 40% that is not successful--an important question to ask.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/31/01 at 12:42 (054970)

Ask what are some of the complications he has seen with his surgical approach for heel spur surgery.

Clara on 7/30/01 at 13:27 (054822)

Hi Paula G!

I am really sorry for you! 2 YEARS!!!!!!! And NOW the doctor gets you a bone scan!? I have had PF for (only!!) 6 months - well - that´s nothing!!
I have not got bone scan - the doctors says it´s not necessary (but I think it is!).

I hope you now get good help! Are you going to get surgery now?

Take care!

Clara

Paula G. on 7/30/01 at 13:32 (054826)

Yes, Clara, he will do the surgery, praise the Lord!! I hate to say I am excited about it, but I am. It has been so long with no results. He says there could be stress fractures that x-rays could not pick up. I know he is good and doing his job requesting this...just more time waiting...
At least you got help. 6 months I was still in denial just saying I had tired feet.
I think the sooner you begin treatments the better you are.

wendyn on 7/30/01 at 13:56 (054828)

Paula - I had a bone scan very early on. It is not a big deal - you just have to stay still for quite a while - which for some of us is not real easy! The bone scan will help ensure there isn't anything they missed. I'm suprised it wasn't done before.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/30/01 at 18:46 (054854)

MRI may pick up a stress fracture--it depends on the resolution of the MRI.
One of the tests for stress fracture of the heel is termed the 'compression test.' Grab the bottom of the heel and squeeze from side to side--if it hurts then a stress fracture is more likely. Bone scans are the most accurate way to rule out stress fractures.

Confidence in an individual is important. A 60% success rate is worrisome though. You need to know the treatment plan for your foot if you are in the 40% that is not successful--an important question to ask.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/31/01 at 12:42 (054970)

Ask what are some of the complications he has seen with his surgical approach for heel spur surgery.