Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3 Days and counting!!!

Posted by Necee on 7/31/01 at 00:45 (054894)

Hi Friends!
Wow! Where did this month go? I was really hoping that I'd be returning to work on Aug 2 without this foot pain and with a story to tell about what a wonderful vacation I had, and guess what, I've still got it!
I was a good girl, I stayed off my feet as much as possibe, I wanted so much to be able to take a trip and enjoy my vacation but that was not the case. Instead I did nothing but what the Dr's ordered, I iced,I taped, had ultrasound, massaging, have been wearing a night splint, you name it, and still continue with my efforts, I will not give up!!!! Based on the advice of 2 Orthopedic Surgeons, I won't have surgery, at least not now. Besides I'd have ESWT before being cut on.
To be honest, I really thought I'd be through with this by now.
So thats how I spent my summer vacation!!!!!!!!!
All the best to my PF friends,
Necee

Re: 3 Days and counting!!! - the same here!!!

Clara on 7/31/01 at 02:10 (054898)

Hi necee and PF friends!

When I read your post, I could not do anything but laught and cry at the same time, I feel exactly the same! I thought my PF was gone 'for ever', but here I am again on the floor. I should also be returning to my job in august.
But I have NOT be that good girl like you, I ran around on my vacation a lot, and I regret that now. (But I was happy!!)

Now, we must rest, rest and rest (again!). Well, I do have a good book to read (I always have, I love books), so i won´t be totally bored...
AND there is HOPE!!!! PF is NOT Pain Forever!!!!!!

All the best to you

Clara

Re: 3 Days and counting!!!

nancy s. on 7/31/01 at 07:29 (054912)

hi necee: good, don't give up! i can't remember how long you've had this, but i think not too long? (I know it seems too long, though! i remember when i was first diagnosed and the doctor said firmly 'you're going to have to be very patient,' i thought 'oh no, what does that mean? i'll be out of commission for a few weeks? a month? i can't do that!' little did i know....)
if you're in a really acute phase of pf and your program of rest and other treatment is a month or a couple of months old, you're very right not to give up -- for some of us, and we usually find this board, it just takes longer -- and i also think you were very right to forgo the vacation at this point. i first got pf in may of 1999 and went camping in the maine woods by the sea that july, and it was a stupid thing to do. i had no way of knowing better at the time, but i was in agony the entire week and the rocky terrain everywhere just did more harm. plus i was still wearing these crazy boots with zero support in them -- i could scream when i think of them now! i know if i hadn't gone i would have felt regret, but in retrospect i realized i regretted more trying to do something my feet just weren't up to. you can get bolder at these activities as things start to improve -- and afterward, always take extra good care of your feet (more icing, elevating, rest, etc.).
i know the disappointment of not being where you'd thought you'd be by this time, but try to go with the flow and do only as much as your feet tell you -- and take heart in the fact that you've been and are continuing to be smart about it. so i say, good for you!
nancy

Julie on 7/31/01 at 08:25 (054917)

Necee, hang in there, keep on being good, and keep on being patient. I can't remember how long you've had PF, or when you started treating it, but a month is not much time at all. Continue with your efforts and you will heal. There IS light at the end of the tunnel, even though it may not be visible yet.

My PF was relatively mild, but it took a good 5-6 months to get significantly better, and another 6 to get to the point where I feel 'safe' - i.e. that I can do pretty much what I want to do without my heel suffering for it. In September last year, when I asked my podiatrist on my first visit how long he thought it would take, he said 'A couple of weeks'. Ha!

Are you going to go back to work on 2 August? I forget what your work is. If it's a mainly-standing job, try to re-arrange things so that you can do sit-down duties as much as possible. That will be your new challenge - to avoid a setback.

Tammie on 7/31/01 at 08:42 (054918)

Hi Necee,
I missed you this weekend, but I hope you had a wonderful time at the farm! I hope your feet begin to cooperate with you and that soon this shall be behind you to! I am anxious to I go see my pod tomorrow and am crossing fingers and praying really hard that I to will be going back to work Thurs or Fri or maybe weekend or anytime really soon!!!!!! So Take care friend and hope to chat again really soon, do u ever wish we could meet the person who discovered ice works well for many types of things in the medical field a amazing person! If ice was a stock I might be tempted to invest lol ! Well again I hope you can take it easy on your feet and that keep the smile as long as you have that you have beaten the little pf man at part of his game!!!! Wishing you well hugs to u

ellen w on 7/31/01 at 09:20 (054930)

Necee, just hang in there. I remember things would never get better, and then slowly, they did. I know they will for you, too.
ellen

Re: 3 Days and counting!!! ***To Nancy***

Necee on 7/31/01 at 17:06 (054987)

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for responding, I appreciate the words of encouragment, I really need them.
This board is a wonderful place for us to come, I just don't know what I'd do without my friends here.
How are you doing? I know that you've suffered much longer than I have and I just hope and pray that your doing much better now.
We not only need to treat our feet but also our minds, so I'm very thankful for this social board and those who frequent it.
Take care and lets keep in touch,
Necee

Re: 3 Days and counting!!! - the same here!!!

Clara on 7/31/01 at 02:10 (054898)

Hi necee and PF friends!

When I read your post, I could not do anything but laught and cry at the same time, I feel exactly the same! I thought my PF was gone 'for ever', but here I am again on the floor. I should also be returning to my job in august.
But I have NOT be that good girl like you, I ran around on my vacation a lot, and I regret that now. (But I was happy!!)

Now, we must rest, rest and rest (again!). Well, I do have a good book to read (I always have, I love books), so i won´t be totally bored...
AND there is HOPE!!!! PF is NOT Pain Forever!!!!!!

All the best to you

Clara

nancy s. on 7/31/01 at 07:29 (054912)

hi necee: good, don't give up! i can't remember how long you've had this, but i think not too long? (I know it seems too long, though! i remember when i was first diagnosed and the doctor said firmly 'you're going to have to be very patient,' i thought 'oh no, what does that mean? i'll be out of commission for a few weeks? a month? i can't do that!' little did i know....)
if you're in a really acute phase of pf and your program of rest and other treatment is a month or a couple of months old, you're very right not to give up -- for some of us, and we usually find this board, it just takes longer -- and i also think you were very right to forgo the vacation at this point. i first got pf in may of 1999 and went camping in the maine woods by the sea that july, and it was a stupid thing to do. i had no way of knowing better at the time, but i was in agony the entire week and the rocky terrain everywhere just did more harm. plus i was still wearing these crazy boots with zero support in them -- i could scream when i think of them now! i know if i hadn't gone i would have felt regret, but in retrospect i realized i regretted more trying to do something my feet just weren't up to. you can get bolder at these activities as things start to improve -- and afterward, always take extra good care of your feet (more icing, elevating, rest, etc.).
i know the disappointment of not being where you'd thought you'd be by this time, but try to go with the flow and do only as much as your feet tell you -- and take heart in the fact that you've been and are continuing to be smart about it. so i say, good for you!
nancy

Julie on 7/31/01 at 08:25 (054917)

Necee, hang in there, keep on being good, and keep on being patient. I can't remember how long you've had PF, or when you started treating it, but a month is not much time at all. Continue with your efforts and you will heal. There IS light at the end of the tunnel, even though it may not be visible yet.

My PF was relatively mild, but it took a good 5-6 months to get significantly better, and another 6 to get to the point where I feel 'safe' - i.e. that I can do pretty much what I want to do without my heel suffering for it. In September last year, when I asked my podiatrist on my first visit how long he thought it would take, he said 'A couple of weeks'. Ha!

Are you going to go back to work on 2 August? I forget what your work is. If it's a mainly-standing job, try to re-arrange things so that you can do sit-down duties as much as possible. That will be your new challenge - to avoid a setback.

Tammie on 7/31/01 at 08:42 (054918)

Hi Necee,
I missed you this weekend, but I hope you had a wonderful time at the farm! I hope your feet begin to cooperate with you and that soon this shall be behind you to! I am anxious to I go see my pod tomorrow and am crossing fingers and praying really hard that I to will be going back to work Thurs or Fri or maybe weekend or anytime really soon!!!!!! So Take care friend and hope to chat again really soon, do u ever wish we could meet the person who discovered ice works well for many types of things in the medical field a amazing person! If ice was a stock I might be tempted to invest lol ! Well again I hope you can take it easy on your feet and that keep the smile as long as you have that you have beaten the little pf man at part of his game!!!! Wishing you well hugs to u

ellen w on 7/31/01 at 09:20 (054930)

Necee, just hang in there. I remember things would never get better, and then slowly, they did. I know they will for you, too.
ellen

Re: 3 Days and counting!!! ***To Nancy***

Necee on 7/31/01 at 17:06 (054987)

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for responding, I appreciate the words of encouragment, I really need them.
This board is a wonderful place for us to come, I just don't know what I'd do without my friends here.
How are you doing? I know that you've suffered much longer than I have and I just hope and pray that your doing much better now.
We not only need to treat our feet but also our minds, so I'm very thankful for this social board and those who frequent it.
Take care and lets keep in touch,
Necee