Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Latest on Worm/Virus

Posted by john h on 7/31/01 at 08:43 (054919)

On the Today Show this morning there was a computer expert talking about The Code Red Worm. A worm differs from a virus in that you do not need to open an attachment. The Code Red Worm is spreading rapidly and infects those running Microsoft NT, Windows 2000, and i think one other Microsoft system. You can go to the Microsoft web site and download a patch, intall it, and reboot and you will be safe from Code Red. It can destroy all your files and resides in memory.

Re: Latest on Worm/Virus

Tammie on 7/31/01 at 08:45 (054922)

John,
I heard a bit last night on news about that to , did they say it was more corporations? And business type computers it affected?Something about goverment,I just heard a clip on it as was making dinner.

john h on 7/31/01 at 08:51 (054924)

it can easily effect the home computer and is.

tammie on 7/31/01 at 09:25 (054931)

Ok thank u , oh boy another thing to worry about gee how come nothing is easy lol

Nancy N on 7/31/01 at 09:29 (054934)

All the information you need to know about Code Red Ida is available from CERT at http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-23.html

You are only at risk if you run Windows NT or Windows 2000 with IIS (the web-server component of Windows) installed. If you use Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (or the Mac, of course!), you are not affected. The CERT page includes links to further information from Microsoft.

Re: Thanks AGAIN Nancy

Julie on 7/31/01 at 10:05 (054949)

Whew! what a relief.

Re: But it did say.....

Donna M on 7/31/01 at 12:12 (054967)

Since I use Microsoft I have to keep up! It did say something about the Windows Media Player, getting it updated to the 7.1 version and then downloading the patch for it, and this pertained to all Windows programs, if I remember correctly. Something about that virus/worm or one as bad, being able to get in thru the media player, something like that.
I updated from the 7 to the 7.1 and did the patch thing last night, to be safe, since my hubby works for the government and emails me!!!
Just go to Microsoft and check, to be on the safe side!! I don't want any of us catching anything!!!

Re: But it did say...../I went & checked

Donna M on 7/31/01 at 12:30 (054968)

It was for Windows 95, 98, NT, 4.0 and 2000, that have the version 6.4, 7, or 7.1 Windows Media Player. It says you need the 'patch' if you have these versions, because they lack a buffer that can let something or someone get into your system!

Nancy N on 7/31/01 at 14:51 (054976)

Donna--

I just checked the CERT link I posted earlier, and I don't see anything about Windows Media Player on that page. It's entirely possible that it applies to a different virus (unfortunately, MS seems to build its operating systems with plenty of 'holes'), but I don't think it's a problem for Code Red Ida. Those who have Windows should check for updates tothe WMP software, though, just to be on the safe side. I believe Win98 lets you do this through the 'windows update' function, but NT and others may require you to go to microsoft.com and look around. It's always good to apply any patches that have been released for your operating system.

Tammie on 7/31/01 at 08:45 (054922)

John,
I heard a bit last night on news about that to , did they say it was more corporations? And business type computers it affected?Something about goverment,I just heard a clip on it as was making dinner.

john h on 7/31/01 at 08:51 (054924)

it can easily effect the home computer and is.

tammie on 7/31/01 at 09:25 (054931)

Ok thank u , oh boy another thing to worry about gee how come nothing is easy lol

Nancy N on 7/31/01 at 09:29 (054934)

All the information you need to know about Code Red Ida is available from CERT at http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-23.html

You are only at risk if you run Windows NT or Windows 2000 with IIS (the web-server component of Windows) installed. If you use Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME (or the Mac, of course!), you are not affected. The CERT page includes links to further information from Microsoft.

Re: Thanks AGAIN Nancy

Julie on 7/31/01 at 10:05 (054949)

Whew! what a relief.

Re: But it did say.....

Donna M on 7/31/01 at 12:12 (054967)

Since I use Microsoft I have to keep up! It did say something about the Windows Media Player, getting it updated to the 7.1 version and then downloading the patch for it, and this pertained to all Windows programs, if I remember correctly. Something about that virus/worm or one as bad, being able to get in thru the media player, something like that.
I updated from the 7 to the 7.1 and did the patch thing last night, to be safe, since my hubby works for the government and emails me!!!
Just go to Microsoft and check, to be on the safe side!! I don't want any of us catching anything!!!

Donna M on 7/31/01 at 12:30 (054968)

It was for Windows 95, 98, NT, 4.0 and 2000, that have the version 6.4, 7, or 7.1 Windows Media Player. It says you need the 'patch' if you have these versions, because they lack a buffer that can let something or someone get into your system!

Nancy N on 7/31/01 at 14:51 (054976)

Donna--

I just checked the CERT link I posted earlier, and I don't see anything about Windows Media Player on that page. It's entirely possible that it applies to a different virus (unfortunately, MS seems to build its operating systems with plenty of 'holes'), but I don't think it's a problem for Code Red Ida. Those who have Windows should check for updates tothe WMP software, though, just to be on the safe side. I believe Win98 lets you do this through the 'windows update' function, but NT and others may require you to go to microsoft.com and look around. It's always good to apply any patches that have been released for your operating system.