Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Repeat ESWT?

Posted by Ssue L. on 7/31/01 at hrmin (054999)

About 12 years ago I developed burning arch pain with walking for exercise an dwas diagnosed w/PF. Custom orthotics helped greatly for exercising and no further tx was necessary for 10 years. 2 yr ago I developed bilat heel pain, saw a podiatrist,had new orthotics, NSAID's, stretch, taping, ice, then steriod injections x 1 w/o relief. X-rays showed large heel spurs. May 1, 2001 I had ESWT bilat, cost $9,000. About 5-6 weeks post-op I had some minimal relief (Maybe?). At 10 weeks I took 5 days of prednisone and about the 3rd day had blessed relief (almost pain free)for about 5 days. My ortho DO is suggesting repeat ESWT, then surgery if needed. My pain is mid heel, but also along the outside of the foot in the heel area. I continue ice, stretching, NSAID and another set of custom orthotics (soft).
Is another ESWT appropriate? I am also overweight, having gained about 50 lbs after limiting then stopping my walking routine.

Re: Repeat ESWT?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/31/01 at 22:04 (055021)

If your doctor can point pt the pain at the insertion of the pf , then a repeat could help you. We do know that multiple ESWT treatment are beneficial and that if the first doesn't do anything you still can get improvement or cure with a second or third ESWT. Is your second treatment included with the $9000 price tag. The treatment may not help you but it won't prevent you from getting future foot surgery if this should be needed. Give youself a second treatment and some more time.

Sue L. on 8/01/01 at 09:46 (055055)

It's my understanding there will be another 9K charge for a repeat procedure, but I have a followup in a week, so I will clarify.
Thanks for the input!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/01/01 at 15:35 (055108)

Let me know what you find out. I will help you out

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/31/01 at 22:04 (055021)

If your doctor can point pt the pain at the insertion of the pf , then a repeat could help you. We do know that multiple ESWT treatment are beneficial and that if the first doesn't do anything you still can get improvement or cure with a second or third ESWT. Is your second treatment included with the $9000 price tag. The treatment may not help you but it won't prevent you from getting future foot surgery if this should be needed. Give youself a second treatment and some more time.

Sue L. on 8/01/01 at 09:46 (055055)

It's my understanding there will be another 9K charge for a repeat procedure, but I have a followup in a week, so I will clarify.
Thanks for the input!

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/01/01 at 15:35 (055108)

Let me know what you find out. I will help you out