Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

black cherry extract

Posted by john h on 7/31/01 at 20:26 (055013)

i stopped by Beans & Grains (National Food Store) and they had two brands of Black Cherry Concentrate. Tree Of Life brand was $4.29 for 8oz and Knudsen was $3.80 for 8 oz. It has zeor fat, chlesterol, and sodium and contains 28 grams of carb and 28 grams of sugar per serviing. one serving is 8 tsp (do not know how this compares to jeffs serving) and 110 callories with zeor fat callories. Reminds me of cherry cough syrup. not bad. i also tried mixing it with water.

Re: black cherry extract

Nancy N on 7/31/01 at 20:42 (055016)

John--

I mixed my first dose with water, too. The label on my bottle sounds like the one on yours as well. I've been taking it straight lately, and that's not bad, either. I'm curious to see what'll happen.

john h on 8/01/01 at 09:39 (055054)

i have decided to just take a 'gulp' out of the bottle. i do not know how this compares with Scott's measuring but everyone knows how much a 'gulp is'. this stuff is really sticky and you better not spill any on any carpet, etc.

nancy s. on 8/01/01 at 10:01 (055059)

john, be sure not to spill it on your feet either, since you wear birks without socks. if you wore socks it wouldn't be so bad to trash them, but if the stuff gooed all over your birks, well, they're a lot more expensive to replace than a pair of socks. another reason to join the club, john. think it over. you're missing out on many sock joys.

Julie on 8/01/01 at 11:19 (055072)

Nancy, that's ok as long as he chooses BLACK socks. Black socks with black birks...hmm. Cool? or what?

Lucky he doesn't live in southern California, where he would HAVE to wear white socks.

We're starting this sock-sillyness all over again...feeling frivolous, I guess.

john h on 8/01/01 at 18:12 (055136)

nancy: you are right. if that got on your birk footbed goodbye birks. i had a hard time getting it off the counter top which is why i decided to drink it straight from the bottle.

john h on 8/01/01 at 18:15 (055137)

you need to refresh yourself on nancy's cat socks. go back to the pictures on the board and look at nancy' s cat socks in the picture with her and judy. when that picture was posted none of knew who judy was and who nancy was.

Julie on 8/02/01 at 08:32 (055180)

Seems hard to believe now, doesn't it?

Yes, I remember those nice socks of Nancy's. But I'm pretty sure she would agree with me that if you really must swig black cherry juice out of the bottle, black socks are really the only option.

Re: black cherry extract for Julie

john h on 8/03/01 at 16:57 (055363)

julie: i hope they using more ice in england than my days there. my beer was warm, my martini's were warm, and i bet your cherry juice is warm. the label says the cherry extract will ferment in 10 days if not placed in the frig.

Nancy N on 8/03/01 at 18:58 (055378)

John--

I spent 6 months living in the UK (Northern Ireland), and one of the side effects is that I can now tolerate any drink at room temperature. Soda, water, etc... took some getting used to, but now I don't care if there's no refrigeration available! Though I never did figure out the logic of using a frozen teething ring on an injury because there was no ice in the house...

Re: Update for John and Nancy

Julie on 8/04/01 at 01:06 (055404)

Don't you two know that iced drinks are bad for the digestion?

But seriously. Most English homes now have refrigeration. I don't know about NI.

I don't like beer, so I'm not the best person to ask. But I think pubs usually keep bottled beer on the ice. The draught beers and ales (the best) would be at room temperature out of the barrel. It's a beautiful sight, watching a skilled bartender pull a pint.

What we don't seem to have is black cherry juice. Or even tart cherry juice. But if I find some, I will keep it in the fridge.

Nancy N on 7/31/01 at 20:42 (055016)

John--

I mixed my first dose with water, too. The label on my bottle sounds like the one on yours as well. I've been taking it straight lately, and that's not bad, either. I'm curious to see what'll happen.

john h on 8/01/01 at 09:39 (055054)

i have decided to just take a 'gulp' out of the bottle. i do not know how this compares with Scott's measuring but everyone knows how much a 'gulp is'. this stuff is really sticky and you better not spill any on any carpet, etc.

nancy s. on 8/01/01 at 10:01 (055059)

john, be sure not to spill it on your feet either, since you wear birks without socks. if you wore socks it wouldn't be so bad to trash them, but if the stuff gooed all over your birks, well, they're a lot more expensive to replace than a pair of socks. another reason to join the club, john. think it over. you're missing out on many sock joys.

Julie on 8/01/01 at 11:19 (055072)

Nancy, that's ok as long as he chooses BLACK socks. Black socks with black birks...hmm. Cool? or what?

Lucky he doesn't live in southern California, where he would HAVE to wear white socks.

We're starting this sock-sillyness all over again...feeling frivolous, I guess.

john h on 8/01/01 at 18:12 (055136)

nancy: you are right. if that got on your birk footbed goodbye birks. i had a hard time getting it off the counter top which is why i decided to drink it straight from the bottle.

john h on 8/01/01 at 18:15 (055137)

you need to refresh yourself on nancy's cat socks. go back to the pictures on the board and look at nancy' s cat socks in the picture with her and judy. when that picture was posted none of knew who judy was and who nancy was.

Julie on 8/02/01 at 08:32 (055180)

Seems hard to believe now, doesn't it?

Yes, I remember those nice socks of Nancy's. But I'm pretty sure she would agree with me that if you really must swig black cherry juice out of the bottle, black socks are really the only option.

john h on 8/03/01 at 16:57 (055363)

julie: i hope they using more ice in england than my days there. my beer was warm, my martini's were warm, and i bet your cherry juice is warm. the label says the cherry extract will ferment in 10 days if not placed in the frig.

Nancy N on 8/03/01 at 18:58 (055378)

John--

I spent 6 months living in the UK (Northern Ireland), and one of the side effects is that I can now tolerate any drink at room temperature. Soda, water, etc... took some getting used to, but now I don't care if there's no refrigeration available! Though I never did figure out the logic of using a frozen teething ring on an injury because there was no ice in the house...

Re: Update for John and Nancy

Julie on 8/04/01 at 01:06 (055404)

Don't you two know that iced drinks are bad for the digestion?

But seriously. Most English homes now have refrigeration. I don't know about NI.

I don't like beer, so I'm not the best person to ask. But I think pubs usually keep bottled beer on the ice. The draught beers and ales (the best) would be at room temperature out of the barrel. It's a beautiful sight, watching a skilled bartender pull a pint.

What we don't seem to have is black cherry juice. Or even tart cherry juice. But if I find some, I will keep it in the fridge.