Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain after surgery

Posted by BETTY g on 8/01/01 at 10:29 (055063)

i HARVE HAD TARSAL TUNNEL SURGERY IN DECEMBER AND AM STILL HAVING PAIN. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET RESULTS. MY DOCTOR WANTS TO DO THE OTHER FOOT, BUT I AM HESITANT BECAUSE THE OTHER ONE IS NOT NEAR BETTER. IT REALLY TINGLES IN MY ANKLE, AND WHEN IT DOES THAT IT MAKES MY FOOT HURT

Re: Pain after surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/01/01 at hrmin (055134)

Most patients notice some relief within a few weeks of tarsal tunnel surgery but it can take up to seven months for full recovery. The reason is that pressure/compression is relieved from the nerve by the surgery but the nerve then must heal--nerve tissue heals slowly. It has been 7 months since your first surgery so you should be seeing a sustantial benefit by now. If not, I would be hesitant to proceed with the other foot.
Ed

Re: Pain after surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/01/01 at hrmin (055134)

Most patients notice some relief within a few weeks of tarsal tunnel surgery but it can take up to seven months for full recovery. The reason is that pressure/compression is relieved from the nerve by the surgery but the nerve then must heal--nerve tissue heals slowly. It has been 7 months since your first surgery so you should be seeing a sustantial benefit by now. If not, I would be hesitant to proceed with the other foot.
Ed