Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DMSO etc

Posted by Kelly C on 8/01/01 at hrmin (055128)

Hello, all,

1st post to this message board...thanks, Scott for putting up such an incredible wealth of information about pf on the web!

I'm on my 4th case of pf in about 16 years. I like to run, and that has led to getting pf every few years. I thought I knew how to keep running and avoid re-injury, but I waited too long to get new shoes. BAM, re-injured. Left foot this time.

Last time I had pf, about 5 years ago, stretching and icing my foot took care of the problem after a few weeks. Same with the previous occurrence.

This time, the ice and stretching don't seem to help nearly as much. I got impatient today and went to the local pet and tack supply store, bought a pint of 99% DMSO. Took it home, diluted it down to roughly 70% using distilled water. The online dmso reference I read indicated that 70% was a good concentration. Cleaned my hand and foot well, then rubbed some DMSO solution on with a gauze pad.

Nothing. I expected to have garlic breath immediately, but didn't. I also expected to notice some change in my foot pain, but didn't. That was about an hour ago, and I still haven't noticed any effect.

Maybe I have really small pores! Hehe...I have two tubes of the Dolgit Ibuprofen Cream, and that has been somewhat effective, but I'm not really sure.

Years ago, I tried some topical NSAID creme that used diclofenac (a friend bought it in Switzerland) and that seemed to be quite a bit more effective than the Dolgit creme. Not sure why that would be!

I'm going to try the technique of crushing some ibuprofen or aspirin and dissolving it in the DMSO, but I don't have high hopes. If the DMSO were crossing my skin, then I would notice the garlic breath, right?

Looking forward to discussions with other pf sufferers. I do know that it can be cured, I've been there before!

-Kelly in Madison WI

Re: DMSO etc

Julie on 8/02/01 at 02:28 (055170)

Hi Kelly, and welcome

Sorry - I don't know what DMSO is. Can you explain what it's meant to do?

It sounds like you've had a long and eventful history with PF - but it doesn't sound, from what you say, as though you've addressed the cause of it. Icing and the topical remedies will reduce inflammation, but that's not the whole story.

Have you read the heel pain book? Tried taping, to rest the fascia? Have you seen a good podiatrist? Had your gait evaluated to determine any biomechanical faults that could be corrected with custom orthotics? What stretching are you doing? It sounds like you know about that, as you say it worked before, but I'll just mention that some stretching can do more harm than good.

I hope you get this fourth dose of PF under control! But don't rely entirely on the topical stuff.

Nancy N on 8/02/01 at 08:42 (055182)

Kelly/Julie--

Scott has used DMSO and has posted about it in a fair amount of detail before. You might want to do a search on the message board page to see what comes up.

Kelly C on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055184)

DMSO is Dimethylsulfoxide, and it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. NOT approved by the FDA for human use, but used widely because of its reported benefits. More can be learned at http://www.arrowheadhealthworks.com/dmsoab.htm

BTW, do regular UBB tags work for putting links into text, in this message board?

Yes, I've read most of the heel pain book. I don't tape my foot, because I use prescription orthotics. In my 1st case of PF, taping provided some benefit, but the PF lasted 2 years, and I wasn't able to see any progress until I was fitted for prescription hard orthotics.

Then 2nd case arose because I mistakenly thought that I could run in good running shoes without using the hard orthotic. Since then, I've had great success in avoiding PF if I use the orthotics when I run (I remove the support that comes with the running shoe), if I don't run every day, and if I buy new shoes on a regular basis. The recent case of PF happened because I failed to buy new shoes when I knew that I needed to.

The stretching that I do most often uses the FootFlex. Other stretching that works VERY well is to do both soleus stretches and gastrocnemeus stretches in the jacuzzi at my gym. The heat seems to do wonders for the healing process.

And I've had to accept that I can't do any swing dancing until my foot is better. THAT is a tough choice. I love dancing, and have been taking workshops and classes fairly often. I was dancing 2 or 3 times/week, and I just have to stop completely.

I am president of the local rollerblading club, and I have kept skating through this case of PF. I can put my orthotics in my rollerblade boot, and I've found no ill effects from rollerblading at all. My foot feels no worse after skating than after walking (and walking has not been detrimental either).

Thanks for the tips.

Oh, and 2 more applications of DMSO seem to provide some benefit. It is definitely more noticeable than the topical ibuprofen creme. I suspect that I just can't smell the DMSO 'garlic' smell very well.

-Kelly

BrianG on 8/02/01 at 11:31 (055207)

Hi Kelly,

Be very careful about what you mix with the DMSO. It is going through your pores, whether you can smell it or not. It is so strong, it can even suck the dye out of dark socks, right through your skin. You then have to wait for it to grow out, similar to a tatoo, but not quite as permanant. Anyways, read up on it, it's some powerful stuff!!! good luck

BCG

Kelly Cox on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055221)

Brian,

Thanks! I am being quite careful with the DMSO; I wash my feet and hands thoroughly before applying the stuff, and only use sterile gauze or cotton to apply DMSO. But the bit about socks is something I hadn't considered. I generally wear white cotton socks, but I'll be more aware of what contacts my feet after applying DMSO.

Cheers,

Kelly

Scott R on 8/02/01 at 15:26 (055236)

The garlic smell is only if you use a fair amount. If you cover a sore knee with it, you'll definitely notice it. A small area like the heel is barely enouigh and I debated not mentioning the smell (taste, actually, not smell). It gets in your blood. Not hardly any smell.

BrianG on 8/02/01 at 20:07 (055270)

I use it occasionally, and I use a cheap sandwich baggie on my fingers to apply it. I'm not sure if it was someone here that recommended it, but it's a good clean way to get it on you. I use it once in a while to 'suck in' the Jade balm :*)
And I'm using the pure, 99.9% DMSO gel. Like the Jade balm, a little goes a long way.

I do know someone at another forum whose husband had some terrible rebound migrane headaches from using it. I think he was an unusual case, who had a stronger reaction than most people, and he was covering his back with it, for months. Used with caution, and sensibly, I don't think it will hurt most people.

BCG

Julie on 8/03/01 at 01:15 (055287)

Hi Kelly

Thanks for the explanation of DMSO, and the link (which worked).

It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what you need to do to deal with PF. I didn't realize you had orthotics when I made my first response. Now, as I try to work out the time scale - it sounds as though you've had them for several (at least five) years, and it might just be worth having them checked to see if they're still doing the job. They can wear, and your feet can also change over the years.

Kelly C on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055361)

Julie, that is *excellent* advice! And yes, I recently had new orthotics made. Unfortunately, I don't think they got it quite right. The foot that has the PF now has an orthotics that seems to have LESS support in the arch, and presses in an odd way on the side of the heel. I may ask for new orthotics soon.

More DMSO experience (btw thanks, Scott for the extra information about the smell/taste). I mixed some crushed ibuprofen with the DMSO this morning and applied it. INSTANT relief! The pain went away almost entirely, and I even had a slight numb feeling in my sole for about 1/2 hour. The pain has been much reduced all day today, only getting slightly worse later in the day. I'm heading home for a 2nd application of DMSO/ibuprofen, then going on a 10 mile rollerblading group skate.

Cheers!

Julie on 8/02/01 at 02:28 (055170)

Hi Kelly, and welcome

Sorry - I don't know what DMSO is. Can you explain what it's meant to do?

It sounds like you've had a long and eventful history with PF - but it doesn't sound, from what you say, as though you've addressed the cause of it. Icing and the topical remedies will reduce inflammation, but that's not the whole story.

Have you read the heel pain book? Tried taping, to rest the fascia? Have you seen a good podiatrist? Had your gait evaluated to determine any biomechanical faults that could be corrected with custom orthotics? What stretching are you doing? It sounds like you know about that, as you say it worked before, but I'll just mention that some stretching can do more harm than good.

I hope you get this fourth dose of PF under control! But don't rely entirely on the topical stuff.

Nancy N on 8/02/01 at 08:42 (055182)

Kelly/Julie--

Scott has used DMSO and has posted about it in a fair amount of detail before. You might want to do a search on the message board page to see what comes up.

Kelly C on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055184)

DMSO is Dimethylsulfoxide, and it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. NOT approved by the FDA for human use, but used widely because of its reported benefits. More can be learned at http://www.arrowheadhealthworks.com/dmsoab.htm

BTW, do regular UBB tags work for putting links into text, in this message board?

Yes, I've read most of the heel pain book. I don't tape my foot, because I use prescription orthotics. In my 1st case of PF, taping provided some benefit, but the PF lasted 2 years, and I wasn't able to see any progress until I was fitted for prescription hard orthotics.

Then 2nd case arose because I mistakenly thought that I could run in good running shoes without using the hard orthotic. Since then, I've had great success in avoiding PF if I use the orthotics when I run (I remove the support that comes with the running shoe), if I don't run every day, and if I buy new shoes on a regular basis. The recent case of PF happened because I failed to buy new shoes when I knew that I needed to.

The stretching that I do most often uses the FootFlex. Other stretching that works VERY well is to do both soleus stretches and gastrocnemeus stretches in the jacuzzi at my gym. The heat seems to do wonders for the healing process.

And I've had to accept that I can't do any swing dancing until my foot is better. THAT is a tough choice. I love dancing, and have been taking workshops and classes fairly often. I was dancing 2 or 3 times/week, and I just have to stop completely.

I am president of the local rollerblading club, and I have kept skating through this case of PF. I can put my orthotics in my rollerblade boot, and I've found no ill effects from rollerblading at all. My foot feels no worse after skating than after walking (and walking has not been detrimental either).

Thanks for the tips.

Oh, and 2 more applications of DMSO seem to provide some benefit. It is definitely more noticeable than the topical ibuprofen creme. I suspect that I just can't smell the DMSO 'garlic' smell very well.

-Kelly

BrianG on 8/02/01 at 11:31 (055207)

Hi Kelly,

Be very careful about what you mix with the DMSO. It is going through your pores, whether you can smell it or not. It is so strong, it can even suck the dye out of dark socks, right through your skin. You then have to wait for it to grow out, similar to a tatoo, but not quite as permanant. Anyways, read up on it, it's some powerful stuff!!! good luck

BCG

Kelly Cox on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055221)

Brian,

Thanks! I am being quite careful with the DMSO; I wash my feet and hands thoroughly before applying the stuff, and only use sterile gauze or cotton to apply DMSO. But the bit about socks is something I hadn't considered. I generally wear white cotton socks, but I'll be more aware of what contacts my feet after applying DMSO.

Cheers,

Kelly

Scott R on 8/02/01 at 15:26 (055236)

The garlic smell is only if you use a fair amount. If you cover a sore knee with it, you'll definitely notice it. A small area like the heel is barely enouigh and I debated not mentioning the smell (taste, actually, not smell). It gets in your blood. Not hardly any smell.

BrianG on 8/02/01 at 20:07 (055270)

I use it occasionally, and I use a cheap sandwich baggie on my fingers to apply it. I'm not sure if it was someone here that recommended it, but it's a good clean way to get it on you. I use it once in a while to 'suck in' the Jade balm :*)
And I'm using the pure, 99.9% DMSO gel. Like the Jade balm, a little goes a long way.

I do know someone at another forum whose husband had some terrible rebound migrane headaches from using it. I think he was an unusual case, who had a stronger reaction than most people, and he was covering his back with it, for months. Used with caution, and sensibly, I don't think it will hurt most people.

BCG

Julie on 8/03/01 at 01:15 (055287)

Hi Kelly

Thanks for the explanation of DMSO, and the link (which worked).

It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what you need to do to deal with PF. I didn't realize you had orthotics when I made my first response. Now, as I try to work out the time scale - it sounds as though you've had them for several (at least five) years, and it might just be worth having them checked to see if they're still doing the job. They can wear, and your feet can also change over the years.

Kelly C on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055361)

Julie, that is *excellent* advice! And yes, I recently had new orthotics made. Unfortunately, I don't think they got it quite right. The foot that has the PF now has an orthotics that seems to have LESS support in the arch, and presses in an odd way on the side of the heel. I may ask for new orthotics soon.

More DMSO experience (btw thanks, Scott for the extra information about the smell/taste). I mixed some crushed ibuprofen with the DMSO this morning and applied it. INSTANT relief! The pain went away almost entirely, and I even had a slight numb feeling in my sole for about 1/2 hour. The pain has been much reduced all day today, only getting slightly worse later in the day. I'm heading home for a 2nd application of DMSO/ibuprofen, then going on a 10 mile rollerblading group skate.

Cheers!