Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

need podiatrist in nyc

Posted by kim bridle on 8/01/01 at 19:04 (055142)

i want to have my corns removed and toes straightened....does anyone know which are the best doctors in nyc?

Re: need podiatrist in nyc

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/02/01 at 13:28 (055219)

How about in North Jersey. I know a very good group of podiatrist in North Jersey

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055264)

What exit?
Ed
(just kidding - a New Jersey joke for the uninitiated)

Re: please explain exit joke

Julie on 8/03/01 at 01:43 (055290)

eom

Re: I'll try.

Andrea R. on 8/03/01 at 07:21 (055303)

Julie,

I'll do my best to explain the exit joke. It has to do with the Garden State Parkway which runs the entire length of eastern New Jersey. Because the exit numbers correspond to the mile markers (they are really off by a mile) you give directions by exit number rather than by the exit name. You learn what exit corresponds with what towns. People from the western part of the state don't alway know about the joke either. The higher the exit number the further north you are.

And then there are jug handles. . .

I lived there 15 years ago, Exit 135.

Julie on 8/03/01 at 07:53 (055307)

Thanks, Andrea. Now I know what to do (sort of) if I ever go driving in NJ.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055353)

I lived at exit 7, South Jersey.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055354)

Andrea:
PS. I think that people in the western part of the state refer to exits off the New Jersey Turnpike.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/03/01 at 17:27 (055367)

Hey ,

I just learned something. We only talk about exits. Hey Ed where out exit seven in South Jersey did you live and practice.

Maybe we know some of the same people.

Dr. Z

Re: New Jersey

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055377)

I was born in Los Angeles but grew up in Atlantic City, NJ and Margate City, NJ. Went to undergrad school at Rutgers then PCPM in Philadelphia, residency in Washington, D.C.--ended up in Seattle area of Washington State. I never practiced in New Jersey though. Did you go to PCPM?

My mother, her sister and one cousin still live in the area. I have 3 small children--twin girls, age 2 1/2 and my son is 5 1/2. Sort of difficult to travel cross country with kids so it has been several years since I have last visited.
Ed

Nancy N on 8/03/01 at 20:40 (055384)

Yeah, I thought you meant the turnpike, but I live about ten minutes from PA and am not a NJ native anyway :)

JudyS on 8/03/01 at 23:04 (055396)

I had the pleasure of driving up much of one of those turnpikes in June (which was it, NancyN?) and it was a very beautiful drive with lots of thick, green trees and shrubs.

However........If I never see another 'jug handle' in my life, it'll be WAY too soon! I was going through a rare roundabout here in San Diego the other day and had a very serious flashback of my solo jug handle experience!
John, no comments from the peanut gallery, please!

Re: Please explain a jug handle experience

Julie on 8/04/01 at 01:14 (055405)

My grandparents lived in Jersey City. We visited them once a month. It took about two hours from the Bronx. An interminable journey.

We spent a summer vacation when I was about ten at Barnegat. And another in Atlantic City.

But I don't know what a jug handle is. Judy? Please? (BTW did you ever get my e-mail in response to yours about that London flat?)

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 11:05 (055443)

Julie, I can't explain that traffic 'jug handle' in Woodbury to save my life! It's sort of like a traffic roundabout and figure 8 wrapped in to one. I was the pilot of the car while TexBarb, NancyN and John h were passengers/navigators. Between the 4 of us we managed, after a bit, to find our hotel and find our way to Dr. Z's and a restaurant - but that jug-handle was plop in the middle of any route we needed to take!
I did indeed receive your email.....was I horribly negligent in not posting a thank you back? The owners of that particular flat didn't respond when I told them we could be flexible with scheduling so I guess they don't want to come to San Diego. I'm still working on that part of the travel plan. Would you know anyone who might rent us a flat for a month?

Re: Judy - (useless) reply on SS board

Julie on 8/04/01 at 11:07 (055445)

eom

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/01 at 18:50 (055486)

It is a turn-around . You know you can't get on the other side of the road and their is this guard rail separating traffic in two directions. So you get in the right lane . and do a loop that stopped at a traffic light and then you can go into the opposite direction. I waited outside for one half hour looking for these lost souls due to the stupid jughandle

Julie on 8/05/01 at 02:40 (055517)

Thanks Dr!

Nancy N on 8/06/01 at 09:17 (055619)

Judy--

We drove down I-295, not the Turnpike (no tolls!). When in Woodbury, we went around a set of two traffic circles. I don't think we actually encountered any jughandles. The idea, theoretically, is to replace an intersection/traffic lights with the circle so that traffic keeps moving. Traffic circles are like roundabouts in the UK, only without intelligent rules to make them work. The ones we encountered had no visible means of telling who had the right of way, so it turned into a free-for-all--especially since there was one right on top of the other.

Jughandles are used in place of left turns. They work in one of two ways--you go past the intersection and then loop around to the side road, or the loop is before the intersection. Either way, once you have looped around, you can go in whichever direction you please. I guess the idea is to relieve backups from people making left turns, but if you're not familiar with them, they can be incredibly confusing. The confusion comes from the fact that, though you are making a left turn, you need to be in the right lane to access the jughandle. So it's a bit counter-intuitive.

Andrea R. on 8/06/01 at 09:29 (055622)

Ed,

Most of the people I know and meet from western Jersey have not idea what 'What exit?' means.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/02/01 at 13:28 (055219)

How about in North Jersey. I know a very good group of podiatrist in North Jersey

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055264)

What exit?
Ed
(just kidding - a New Jersey joke for the uninitiated)

Re: please explain exit joke

Julie on 8/03/01 at 01:43 (055290)

eom

Andrea R. on 8/03/01 at 07:21 (055303)

Julie,

I'll do my best to explain the exit joke. It has to do with the Garden State Parkway which runs the entire length of eastern New Jersey. Because the exit numbers correspond to the mile markers (they are really off by a mile) you give directions by exit number rather than by the exit name. You learn what exit corresponds with what towns. People from the western part of the state don't alway know about the joke either. The higher the exit number the further north you are.

And then there are jug handles. . .

I lived there 15 years ago, Exit 135.

Julie on 8/03/01 at 07:53 (055307)

Thanks, Andrea. Now I know what to do (sort of) if I ever go driving in NJ.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055353)

I lived at exit 7, South Jersey.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055354)

Andrea:
PS. I think that people in the western part of the state refer to exits off the New Jersey Turnpike.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/03/01 at 17:27 (055367)

Hey ,

I just learned something. We only talk about exits. Hey Ed where out exit seven in South Jersey did you live and practice.

Maybe we know some of the same people.

Dr. Z

Re: New Jersey

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055377)

I was born in Los Angeles but grew up in Atlantic City, NJ and Margate City, NJ. Went to undergrad school at Rutgers then PCPM in Philadelphia, residency in Washington, D.C.--ended up in Seattle area of Washington State. I never practiced in New Jersey though. Did you go to PCPM?

My mother, her sister and one cousin still live in the area. I have 3 small children--twin girls, age 2 1/2 and my son is 5 1/2. Sort of difficult to travel cross country with kids so it has been several years since I have last visited.
Ed

Nancy N on 8/03/01 at 20:40 (055384)

Yeah, I thought you meant the turnpike, but I live about ten minutes from PA and am not a NJ native anyway :)

JudyS on 8/03/01 at 23:04 (055396)

I had the pleasure of driving up much of one of those turnpikes in June (which was it, NancyN?) and it was a very beautiful drive with lots of thick, green trees and shrubs.

However........If I never see another 'jug handle' in my life, it'll be WAY too soon! I was going through a rare roundabout here in San Diego the other day and had a very serious flashback of my solo jug handle experience!
John, no comments from the peanut gallery, please!

Julie on 8/04/01 at 01:14 (055405)

My grandparents lived in Jersey City. We visited them once a month. It took about two hours from the Bronx. An interminable journey.

We spent a summer vacation when I was about ten at Barnegat. And another in Atlantic City.

But I don't know what a jug handle is. Judy? Please? (BTW did you ever get my e-mail in response to yours about that London flat?)

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 11:05 (055443)

Julie, I can't explain that traffic 'jug handle' in Woodbury to save my life! It's sort of like a traffic roundabout and figure 8 wrapped in to one. I was the pilot of the car while TexBarb, NancyN and John h were passengers/navigators. Between the 4 of us we managed, after a bit, to find our hotel and find our way to Dr. Z's and a restaurant - but that jug-handle was plop in the middle of any route we needed to take!
I did indeed receive your email.....was I horribly negligent in not posting a thank you back? The owners of that particular flat didn't respond when I told them we could be flexible with scheduling so I guess they don't want to come to San Diego. I'm still working on that part of the travel plan. Would you know anyone who might rent us a flat for a month?

Re: Judy - (useless) reply on SS board

Julie on 8/04/01 at 11:07 (055445)

eom

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/01 at 18:50 (055486)

It is a turn-around . You know you can't get on the other side of the road and their is this guard rail separating traffic in two directions. So you get in the right lane . and do a loop that stopped at a traffic light and then you can go into the opposite direction. I waited outside for one half hour looking for these lost souls due to the stupid jughandle

Julie on 8/05/01 at 02:40 (055517)

Thanks Dr!

Nancy N on 8/06/01 at 09:17 (055619)

Judy--

We drove down I-295, not the Turnpike (no tolls!). When in Woodbury, we went around a set of two traffic circles. I don't think we actually encountered any jughandles. The idea, theoretically, is to replace an intersection/traffic lights with the circle so that traffic keeps moving. Traffic circles are like roundabouts in the UK, only without intelligent rules to make them work. The ones we encountered had no visible means of telling who had the right of way, so it turned into a free-for-all--especially since there was one right on top of the other.

Jughandles are used in place of left turns. They work in one of two ways--you go past the intersection and then loop around to the side road, or the loop is before the intersection. Either way, once you have looped around, you can go in whichever direction you please. I guess the idea is to relieve backups from people making left turns, but if you're not familiar with them, they can be incredibly confusing. The confusion comes from the fact that, though you are making a left turn, you need to be in the right lane to access the jughandle. So it's a bit counter-intuitive.

Andrea R. on 8/06/01 at 09:29 (055622)

Ed,

Most of the people I know and meet from western Jersey have not idea what 'What exit?' means.