Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What if surgery doesn't work?

Posted by P. Helm on 8/01/01 at 21:50 (055160)

I am curious about what to do if the surgery doesn't work. I had the surgery for TTS in February and I have no relief what so ever. I keep going back to the Dr. every month and I am told it may just take time. Well I feel that I should have felt some relief by now , but I still have a lot of pain and it scares me that it is getting worse. I feel like I have no more padding in my feet. I do have , but it feel like I am walking on bones and nerves!!! Any suggestions? I was going to have the other foot done, but obviously I am not.

Re: then you become good friends with everyone here :-) nm

elliott on 8/02/01 at 10:28 (055200)

Pat B on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055259)

I guess I have to agree with Elliot. It is great finding the support here with people who understand since this is kind of a rare condition. My podiatrist said it affects about one out of 150,000 people. I could not find any information or help outside of my doctor except on this message board and the internet. This board gave me the support to learn to ask the appropriate questions before and after my surgery which was 2 days ago. At least I know more what to expect good and bad. I pray that we all have hope for our feet and I guess we will continue to seek each other out for continued support and understanding. We need it as I know I suffer from depression as a result of being disabled from TTS along with arthritis. There are never any happy mediums at times for me but this board gave me some hope and understanding. I hope it does the same for many others. I thank whoever is the author or creator and all who respond.

Janette S on 8/03/01 at 23:13 (055397)

For me this message board is great and I have NOT had surgery. I have my good days and bad days. Until TTS surgery has more positive results or something new development comes along I will try to manage and live with TTS.

This year has definitely been better than last and managing the pain and learning what I can do and can't do.

Re: What if surgery doesn't work?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055484)

Some relief after tarsal tunnel surgery can be noticed within a few weeks but complete relief takes up to 7 months. You are about 6 months post-op so you should be feeling fairly good if the surgery was successful. The person whom I look up to in this area is a neurosurgeon, A. Lee Dellon, MD of Baltimore. If I needed to have this procedure done on myself I would probably get on a plane to see him. Where do you live? I can try to suggest some individuals in your area who you could see for another opinion.
Ed

elliott on 8/02/01 at 10:28 (055200)

Pat B on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055259)

I guess I have to agree with Elliot. It is great finding the support here with people who understand since this is kind of a rare condition. My podiatrist said it affects about one out of 150,000 people. I could not find any information or help outside of my doctor except on this message board and the internet. This board gave me the support to learn to ask the appropriate questions before and after my surgery which was 2 days ago. At least I know more what to expect good and bad. I pray that we all have hope for our feet and I guess we will continue to seek each other out for continued support and understanding. We need it as I know I suffer from depression as a result of being disabled from TTS along with arthritis. There are never any happy mediums at times for me but this board gave me some hope and understanding. I hope it does the same for many others. I thank whoever is the author or creator and all who respond.

Janette S on 8/03/01 at 23:13 (055397)

For me this message board is great and I have NOT had surgery. I have my good days and bad days. Until TTS surgery has more positive results or something new development comes along I will try to manage and live with TTS.

This year has definitely been better than last and managing the pain and learning what I can do and can't do.

Re: What if surgery doesn't work?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055484)

Some relief after tarsal tunnel surgery can be noticed within a few weeks but complete relief takes up to 7 months. You are about 6 months post-op so you should be feeling fairly good if the surgery was successful. The person whom I look up to in this area is a neurosurgeon, A. Lee Dellon, MD of Baltimore. If I needed to have this procedure done on myself I would probably get on a plane to see him. Where do you live? I can try to suggest some individuals in your area who you could see for another opinion.
Ed