Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar facillitis

Posted by Renee A on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055187)

My podiatrist told me to stretch my calves, take advil, and get special foot pads. I wear steel toe shoes at work and am on my feet at least 6 out of an 8 hour work period on concrete. Nothing seems to help. Would you recommend surgery and how severe is it?

Re: plantar facillitis

Nancy N on 8/02/01 at 10:06 (055194)

Renee--

I am not a doctor, but I would recommend getting off your feet as much as possible. Standing is one of the worst things you can do with PF--and the longer you do it, the harder it's going to be for your foot to heal. I also recommend non weight-bearing stretches, which can just aggravate the problem. One of the simplest ways to stretch without being on your feet is to use a towel to pull your feet toward you, and hold that stretch.

I'm sure others will have recommendations, too, but those are the first that come to mind for me.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055197)

Surgery is a last resort. Considering your occupation, you need a more intensive but conservative treatment plan. What do you mean by 'special pads?' Orthotics are generally a must for individuals with plantar fasciitis who work on asphalt/concrete all day. Are you getting physical therapy? Shoegear advice? Are steel toed work boots a requirement at your job?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/02/01 at 13:22 (055215)

You need more treatment. Special attention toward the proper shoes, take more the just advil, physical therapy, orthosis. and maybe ESWT if this is been going on for a very long time.

Nancy N on 8/02/01 at 10:06 (055194)

Renee--

I am not a doctor, but I would recommend getting off your feet as much as possible. Standing is one of the worst things you can do with PF--and the longer you do it, the harder it's going to be for your foot to heal. I also recommend non weight-bearing stretches, which can just aggravate the problem. One of the simplest ways to stretch without being on your feet is to use a towel to pull your feet toward you, and hold that stretch.

I'm sure others will have recommendations, too, but those are the first that come to mind for me.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055197)

Surgery is a last resort. Considering your occupation, you need a more intensive but conservative treatment plan. What do you mean by 'special pads?' Orthotics are generally a must for individuals with plantar fasciitis who work on asphalt/concrete all day. Are you getting physical therapy? Shoegear advice? Are steel toed work boots a requirement at your job?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/02/01 at 13:22 (055215)

You need more treatment. Special attention toward the proper shoes, take more the just advil, physical therapy, orthosis. and maybe ESWT if this is been going on for a very long time.