Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am I onto something here? Doc and Julie too....

Posted by Carmen H on 8/02/01 at 15:09 (055231)

The 'doctor' I saw yesterday told me that my walk had nothing to do with my problem. I was at The Walking Co. the other day...put on a pair of shoes with strap support all the way to the ankle but no strap on the back. TWO steps and my heel fell right off the shoe on the inside of the shoe. Is this considered pronation?
I have recalled sooo many times in the past that I have worn shoes and my heel dipped in just like I mentioned and literally would hang off he inside of my shoe. OBVIOUSLY this has been a long time coming on and just got tired of trying to give me the hints.....Am I onto something here in figuring out my origin of pain?

Re: Am I onto something here? Doc and Julie too....

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/02/01 at 15:49 (055239)

IF you have excessive wear on the inside of your shoe then this is a shoe sign that you do have abnormal pronation. This is a major factor when dealing with pf. If must be evaluated and determined what specific role itis playing in your pf. When the heel bone everts or turns inside then there is more weight bearing on the pf at the insertion.

Julie on 8/03/01 at 02:21 (055293)

Hi Carmen

Yes, it does sound like excessive pronation to me (it could also be weak ankles - but you'd know that.) To be sure, you need to be evaluated. I hope your next doctor (may he appear on the horizon very soon) will have the equipment to do it. I have experience only of one podiatrist, but I can tell you what he did. I was told to bring a pair of shorts and my trainers to the appointment. He ruled vertical black lines up the backs of my calves and put me on a treadmill. As I walked, he videod me walking. Then we both watched the video. It was clear to him and to me, looking at what the black lines were doing, that I was pronating more than normally with both feet, and much more than normally with my right foot.

I would guess - though as I say, my experience is limited - that this is the only reliable way to assess biomechanical faults. It enables the podiatrist to decide whether or not you need custom orthotics. I don't think just watching someone walk up and down the room would tell an accurate story,unless the fault was very severe - but perhaps I'm wrong.

You can have a look at my pod's website if you like:

http://www.londonpodiatry.com/

Since you suspect that you may be over-pronating, it would be a good idea to ask any doctor you are considering seeing if he has that sort of equipment in his practice.

If you do need orthotics, there will be further decisions to be made, and lots of information to digest. You're a great learner, so that will be right up your street. Richard will help. (Have you had a look at his website? It's excellent. Click on his name at the top of the 'Shoes/Inserts/Orthotics' board.)

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/02/01 at 15:49 (055239)

IF you have excessive wear on the inside of your shoe then this is a shoe sign that you do have abnormal pronation. This is a major factor when dealing with pf. If must be evaluated and determined what specific role itis playing in your pf. When the heel bone everts or turns inside then there is more weight bearing on the pf at the insertion.

Julie on 8/03/01 at 02:21 (055293)

Hi Carmen

Yes, it does sound like excessive pronation to me (it could also be weak ankles - but you'd know that.) To be sure, you need to be evaluated. I hope your next doctor (may he appear on the horizon very soon) will have the equipment to do it. I have experience only of one podiatrist, but I can tell you what he did. I was told to bring a pair of shorts and my trainers to the appointment. He ruled vertical black lines up the backs of my calves and put me on a treadmill. As I walked, he videod me walking. Then we both watched the video. It was clear to him and to me, looking at what the black lines were doing, that I was pronating more than normally with both feet, and much more than normally with my right foot.

I would guess - though as I say, my experience is limited - that this is the only reliable way to assess biomechanical faults. It enables the podiatrist to decide whether or not you need custom orthotics. I don't think just watching someone walk up and down the room would tell an accurate story,unless the fault was very severe - but perhaps I'm wrong.

You can have a look at my pod's website if you like:

http://www.londonpodiatry.com/

Since you suspect that you may be over-pronating, it would be a good idea to ask any doctor you are considering seeing if he has that sort of equipment in his practice.

If you do need orthotics, there will be further decisions to be made, and lots of information to digest. You're a great learner, so that will be right up your street. Richard will help. (Have you had a look at his website? It's excellent. Click on his name at the top of the 'Shoes/Inserts/Orthotics' board.)