Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

1 week post op today....pain setting in...*uugghh*

Posted by CindyF on 8/02/01 at 17:24 (055245)

Well..today is Thursday....One week ago I went under the knife....
I thought I was doing so great....with minimal pain..
I could take only the Motrin 800mg about every 8 hours...and feel fine...
Now...I have so much pain in my heel and inner ankle area...I am taking the Pain pills prescribed...and at least every 4-6 hours.
I still have this heavy casted splint on....and it feels like the cast is rubbing the sutures and making my ankle raw.
I have constant burning in the entire heel area.
I called my Ortho this morning.....and guess what...he's out of town until Monday....now isn't that great news...
Oh...they told me I could go to the ER to have it checked...but why pay for an emergency room visit....just for them to tell me it's a normal thing...
Is this normal....for the burning feeling I feel??
It feels like my nerves in my heel have decided to wake up all of a sudden...with the burning and tingling...
I have really thought about unwrapping the cast and see what's going on...but I have noticed the foot is in a certain position...will it hurt anything if I take a peek??
I just want to see if the suture line is red and puffy or draining...
I have an appt with the Ortho set for Tuesday....but that is 5 days away...*sigh*
Please give advice...because at this point...I can't stand the cast even on my foot...let alone trying to get around on it with the crutches...
Ok...Thanks for listening to a grumpy post op patient who feels like SCREAMING!!
Cindy

Re: 1 week post op today....pain setting in...*uugghh*

wendyn on 8/02/01 at 17:39 (055246)

Cindy - if you're concerned - I'd go have it checked - especially since you have no way of looking at the incision yourself (under the cast). Better a needless trip and expense to emerg than to leave it and regret it later.

chris on 8/03/01 at 07:51 (055305)

When I had my surgery for pf and tts I had a follow up appoinment in one week. When they redid the half cast thingy...it felt as though it was rubbing or hitting my ankle the wrong way. I would unwrap and rewrap that cast thing dozens of times to try and find a position that was comfortable.

I sympathize with you regarding that annoying pain and wish I had a better suggestion. If you think it is rubbing your stiches then I agree with wendyn get it checked out. I was very hestitant to remove the cast until I saw the doctor for the first follow-up, but as i mentioned when they rewrapped it, it just wasn't right!

You also mentioned it felt as though the nerves just decided to 'wake up' That may be actually what happened....i was told that sometimes it takes a while for the feeling to return after surgery.

If it is any consolation to you...my surgery was 9 months ago and I feel great! Totally pain free and happy with the results, although I could live without the scar on my ankle (LOL)
Good luck to you
Chris

Re: Un-wrapped cast splint last night...pain releived!!

CindyF on 8/03/01 at 08:36 (055314)

OK..I did what I wasn't supposed to do...I unwrapped the cast splint...and found that the stitches were caught up in the dressing...causing it to hurt when I moved my foot..or the weight of the cast rubbed it...
After I got to the suture area....I noticed there was dried blood on the dressing...and as my husband was pulling it off...I noticed that stiteches were caught up on the dressing....well..He got it off...
And after the pain stopped from this...I place new sterile guaze over the area...an absorbant pad and kerlex I found in my first aid kit...and rewrapped the cast...just the same way it was....and the pain has been releived...
The awakening of the nerves is still there...but the really bad pain of the stitches pulling is gone...so I slept very well last night...
I have to admit....the suture line was really ugly...
I have 2 suture lines...the one on the inner aspect of the ankle...is approx. 4 inches long...kind of in an 'L' shape...
The second is directly at the center between both ankles....on the top of the foot...and the base of the leg.....
It is approx 2-1/2 inches long....and actually looks good...no real pain from that area at all...
I guess I should have gone to the ER...but hey...I fixed the problem in a few minutes...at no charge...
My husband said the Dr. will know I removed it.....I told him yes he will...because I will tell him...*L*
I maintained the sterility of the area....I am a nurse after all..*L*
Cindy

Maureen S. on 8/03/01 at 20:06 (055382)

I can totally relate. I am 3 wks post-op and am a nurse. I hate this damn cast and my foot seems not to like it wrapped too tightly. I have had little to no pain with the only exception of my little toe. It feels like it was smashed/Brusied like pain and some numbness. We shall see how it goes LOL, Maureen

Re: Thanks for the encouragement Chris!

CindyF on 8/04/01 at 14:05 (055465)

Chris...
Thanks for letting me know there is a light at the end of this pain tunnel...
I can live with this for 9 months if it means I will be better one day...
I haven't worked since April 2001...and I hope to be back in full work mode by the beginning of the new year...
of course...my surgery is only a week old...but I feel I will make the comeback...
I have to admit...since I removed the splint cast and found the problem...the pain has been much easier....
I don't know if my Ortho will put this cast back on me again after the first visit or not...it will be 10 days post op when I see him....
I figure he will remove the sutures then...*ouch**L*
Cindy

Re: Good luck!

CindyF on 8/04/01 at 14:10 (055466)

Hey Maureen...
So...you are 2 weeks post op ahead of me....
I guess I know who to go to ask what's ahead...*L*
You still have the cast after 3 weeks??
I was hoping the Ortho would keep mine off after the 10 day visit....
I guess I'm getting a little antsy being in this thing...
At least I have a wonderful husband who has 3 weeks off to help me....but then he leaves offshore for 3 weeks...then I'm here all alone to get around....cook...clean...etc...*sigh*
Oh well...I can do it...I guess...
Cindy

Re: suggestion

Maureen S on 8/05/01 at 03:29 (055523)

Well here is a Little suggestion I have found that kneeling on a chair with a cushion I can do dishes cook of be at counter lever for an extended time without worrying about standing too long or crutches etc. I have felt better by doing this so I can eat good etc. Hoe are you today, I am counting the days till I see the dr to get the stiches off and can get into that walking cast. send me an update do you have aol instant message mine is mosalazar or e-mail mosalazar@aol.com

Maureen

CindyF on 8/05/01 at 12:57 (055541)

Maureen..
Thanks for the suggestion...I have tried that...but my problem is..the way this cast splint is on my foot..it goes behind my knee...and I can't bend my knee enough to have it rest on a chair...
I do have a wheel chair...with a leg lift...along with the crutches...
I don't know his reasoning on me not being able to bend my knee...
I will ask on Tuesday when I go see him for the first time post op..
I have cooked some and done some dishes...but both times I have cooked...I have the burn mark on my arm to mark the occassion...*L*
The reason I have more than one incision is because I had more nerve damage than the normal TTS patient...
I would like for us to keep in contact...
Cindy

Maureen S on 8/06/01 at 03:35 (055602)

Hello, Well post-op my cast went almost up to the back of me knee and I didn't have much bend in my leg either and had given myself a large bruise there from repeatedly hitting it against the area above the back of my knee when I would bend. The 5 post-op visit I mentioned it to the nurse but forgot to tell the dr. But on the 11th post-op visit I didn't forget becase in was very bothersome I asked if he would cut it down and he did. Now I have just the right amount of room. I insisted because he wanted me to stay like this for 2 1/2 more weeks!! Well ask and maybe you will either have it fixed or get a boot/cast to walk in as some people get depending on what the dr has planned for you. Let me know and gook luck, hope your incision is healed/or healing nicely.
Maureen

wendyn on 8/02/01 at 17:39 (055246)

Cindy - if you're concerned - I'd go have it checked - especially since you have no way of looking at the incision yourself (under the cast). Better a needless trip and expense to emerg than to leave it and regret it later.

chris on 8/03/01 at 07:51 (055305)

When I had my surgery for pf and tts I had a follow up appoinment in one week. When they redid the half cast thingy...it felt as though it was rubbing or hitting my ankle the wrong way. I would unwrap and rewrap that cast thing dozens of times to try and find a position that was comfortable.

I sympathize with you regarding that annoying pain and wish I had a better suggestion. If you think it is rubbing your stiches then I agree with wendyn get it checked out. I was very hestitant to remove the cast until I saw the doctor for the first follow-up, but as i mentioned when they rewrapped it, it just wasn't right!

You also mentioned it felt as though the nerves just decided to 'wake up' That may be actually what happened....i was told that sometimes it takes a while for the feeling to return after surgery.

If it is any consolation to you...my surgery was 9 months ago and I feel great! Totally pain free and happy with the results, although I could live without the scar on my ankle (LOL)
Good luck to you
Chris

CindyF on 8/03/01 at 08:36 (055314)

OK..I did what I wasn't supposed to do...I unwrapped the cast splint...and found that the stitches were caught up in the dressing...causing it to hurt when I moved my foot..or the weight of the cast rubbed it...
After I got to the suture area....I noticed there was dried blood on the dressing...and as my husband was pulling it off...I noticed that stiteches were caught up on the dressing....well..He got it off...
And after the pain stopped from this...I place new sterile guaze over the area...an absorbant pad and kerlex I found in my first aid kit...and rewrapped the cast...just the same way it was....and the pain has been releived...
The awakening of the nerves is still there...but the really bad pain of the stitches pulling is gone...so I slept very well last night...
I have to admit....the suture line was really ugly...
I have 2 suture lines...the one on the inner aspect of the ankle...is approx. 4 inches long...kind of in an 'L' shape...
The second is directly at the center between both ankles....on the top of the foot...and the base of the leg.....
It is approx 2-1/2 inches long....and actually looks good...no real pain from that area at all...
I guess I should have gone to the ER...but hey...I fixed the problem in a few minutes...at no charge...
My husband said the Dr. will know I removed it.....I told him yes he will...because I will tell him...*L*
I maintained the sterility of the area....I am a nurse after all..*L*
Cindy

Maureen S. on 8/03/01 at 20:06 (055382)

I can totally relate. I am 3 wks post-op and am a nurse. I hate this damn cast and my foot seems not to like it wrapped too tightly. I have had little to no pain with the only exception of my little toe. It feels like it was smashed/Brusied like pain and some numbness. We shall see how it goes LOL, Maureen

Re: Thanks for the encouragement Chris!

CindyF on 8/04/01 at 14:05 (055465)

Chris...
Thanks for letting me know there is a light at the end of this pain tunnel...
I can live with this for 9 months if it means I will be better one day...
I haven't worked since April 2001...and I hope to be back in full work mode by the beginning of the new year...
of course...my surgery is only a week old...but I feel I will make the comeback...
I have to admit...since I removed the splint cast and found the problem...the pain has been much easier....
I don't know if my Ortho will put this cast back on me again after the first visit or not...it will be 10 days post op when I see him....
I figure he will remove the sutures then...*ouch**L*
Cindy

Re: Good luck!

CindyF on 8/04/01 at 14:10 (055466)

Hey Maureen...
So...you are 2 weeks post op ahead of me....
I guess I know who to go to ask what's ahead...*L*
You still have the cast after 3 weeks??
I was hoping the Ortho would keep mine off after the 10 day visit....
I guess I'm getting a little antsy being in this thing...
At least I have a wonderful husband who has 3 weeks off to help me....but then he leaves offshore for 3 weeks...then I'm here all alone to get around....cook...clean...etc...*sigh*
Oh well...I can do it...I guess...
Cindy

Maureen S on 8/05/01 at 03:29 (055523)

Well here is a Little suggestion I have found that kneeling on a chair with a cushion I can do dishes cook of be at counter lever for an extended time without worrying about standing too long or crutches etc. I have felt better by doing this so I can eat good etc. Hoe are you today, I am counting the days till I see the dr to get the stiches off and can get into that walking cast. send me an update do you have aol instant message mine is mosalazar or e-mail mosalazar@aol.com

Maureen

CindyF on 8/05/01 at 12:57 (055541)

Maureen..
Thanks for the suggestion...I have tried that...but my problem is..the way this cast splint is on my foot..it goes behind my knee...and I can't bend my knee enough to have it rest on a chair...
I do have a wheel chair...with a leg lift...along with the crutches...
I don't know his reasoning on me not being able to bend my knee...
I will ask on Tuesday when I go see him for the first time post op..
I have cooked some and done some dishes...but both times I have cooked...I have the burn mark on my arm to mark the occassion...*L*
The reason I have more than one incision is because I had more nerve damage than the normal TTS patient...
I would like for us to keep in contact...
Cindy

Maureen S on 8/06/01 at 03:35 (055602)

Hello, Well post-op my cast went almost up to the back of me knee and I didn't have much bend in my leg either and had given myself a large bruise there from repeatedly hitting it against the area above the back of my knee when I would bend. The 5 post-op visit I mentioned it to the nurse but forgot to tell the dr. But on the 11th post-op visit I didn't forget becase in was very bothersome I asked if he would cut it down and he did. Now I have just the right amount of room. I insisted because he wanted me to stay like this for 2 1/2 more weeks!! Well ask and maybe you will either have it fixed or get a boot/cast to walk in as some people get depending on what the dr has planned for you. Let me know and gook luck, hope your incision is healed/or healing nicely.
Maureen