Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I need advice again,

Posted by Tammie on 8/02/01 at 18:05 (055252)

Ok today was first pt and a evaluation on how to treat this problem, my pt lady worked me over today and I am not afraid to say It hurt and stillhurts like the dickens,now maybe the no pain no gain is in effect but I am uncertain so here goes a list of ??? LOL She wants me to do the wall stretches the one where u keep knee straight and the one where u dont , ok then she pulled my foot up u know like your toes foward and then turns toes in and back and she says my calf is tight, and that I do not have much big toe movement and I want to die as she makes my foot tingle and sharp shooting pains go thru I told her she said sorry but I really need to stretch you, she grabs the heel ok u know where they check for the tinnels or whatever thing, darn I hate it,I told her to please lets start slow and I thought the dr. ordered ultrasound treatment, she said well I like agressive stretching, she made me try to stand on toes oh yeah right sure anytime, just go ahead and shoot me , then she had me doing this stuff with NO shoes after I told her my dr. said I was never to be without shoes, she said oh ok put them on then! I said please call and talk to my dr. and see what he thinks about this and what about the shoe issue as it was he who told me to wear them, she liked my orthodics wow and she did not like my shoes, she said no leg difference , she said she wants me to use a night splint she sounds as tho she is stilltreating pf? I had this before I had surgery, Wendyn or someone who knows about the tts, how do u feel about night splints, I can not stand the darn tape as it drove me mad, and if my shoe rubbs foot it sends me to orbit, I am worried as they are costly if not right , But will do anything if it will help, I am worried she is to gung ho, maybe I am a wimp, just do not want to risk further injury! And I am sorry I am having a lot of pain and am worried that cortisone has not been effective as of yet but am still hoping it will got yesterday morn. so maybe it takes a few days? She seems to think it is scar tissue on nerve? I told her please call my dr., as I want him to make decision about this treatment plan if it is good I will suck it up and will do whatever she wants. She told me to use a towel for foot and toe exercise, oh yeah she could not believe I wear a shoe in shower and to go down stairs in pool, bells are sounding am i right to worry? Thanks so much anxious to hear as have another pt soon.

Re: I need advice again,

Glenn X on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055261)

Tammie: PT's are by nature gung ho. I did five weeks of aggressive PT a couple of years ago and it was a huge mistake.

More recently I completed another round of PT (about 24 visits worth), and while I think they generally did me some good, it too, in the end, was too agreessive. They were capable, well meaning people, but just didn't appreciate the tenuous nature, the risks of moving too quickly with PF therapy. Too impatient (though they listened much better than your lady). Some specifics.

MASSAGE: Helped some. Broke up scar tissue. Eventually was too aggressive.

STRETCHING: They were able to stretch my calf muscle with me laying face down on the table much more fully and painlessly than I was (am) ever able to against a wall. Leaned their leg into my foot. I wish I could duplicate that move at home. They also encouraged in-between-session wall stretches, which overdid me. I'd suggest staying away from them.

ULTRASOUND: Had 18 treatments. May have helped. Too much else going on to effectively evaluate.

WOBBLE BOARD: It's the damndest contraption out there. Probably good for ankle flexibility. Horrid for PF.

ANKLE MOVEMENTS: They'd grip and move my ankles around. Think this is helpful.

MEASUREMENT: They measured my ankle dorsiflexion. If you continue with your's, I'd strongly suggest you have them do this. And check it every two weeks.

RUBBER CORD: I got into some calf strengthening using a rubber cord with a loop on the end. Done lightly, this may be good too.

TOE LIFTS: I should have known better. (Rising up on toes). They had me doing them and I did too many of them. Good for calf muscles, bad for PF.

Next PT I'd opt for measuring flexibility, some measured degree of massage, ultrasound, table stretches (preceeded by 10 minutes of warm compresses on my calves), and light calf strengthening with a rubber cord.

That said, I'm seeing a well-DPM-recommended PT tomorrow for another evaluation, and all of the above may change.

Re: Re:wow u are seasoned then

Tammie on 8/02/01 at 21:40 (055276)

Thank u for replying I guess since I changed pt places as the other was so far away this is close for me so thought would be better fit in to our life heheh,they do things different then other palce. Maybe I was overwelmed again, as she is very agressive and thinks best way to lick it is lots of stretching , now I know the things by what u wrote that she did today the wall stretching was done several as she had me do 10 sets of 5 and the the other wall one the same tried the ankle thing but as soon as she grabbed I yelped and said do that again and I am outa here, she laughed and joked but I was dead serious.So she would push against me pushing the foot to side and tred to roll it but could not so we did toe in toe out stretch big toe, did toe lifts or like tried she measured something with a big plastic thing looked like a big thing with wheel on it and a compass protractor lin e heheh oh boy can tell I dont have a clue huh! Said ankles were stiff lazy mussels, in foot, not good with the toes coming in she did not like that, and said achilees tight she said boy are u flatfooted have u always been that way, yep all my life. I know there will be some pain as thease have rested to long but how can I tolerate anything in the ankle area, there were strong jolts and tingling and i could have hit her if she grabbed my ankle again, I am not violent at all! It hurt! I get mad when people do this and then they laugh at me and say oh sorry did that hurt, once I forgive as I know u have to diagnose but darn it not several times sorry I do not have that much pain tolerance! One thing is for certain what ever I did do has stirred a hornets nest in the foot it was not to happy anyways the last few nights, ! I dont want there job either ! Ok now she wants me to do the soleus stretch and the gastroc one at home wall ones, 10 times hold 10 sec and 4 tms a day, then the big toe stretch and the move the ankle in and out . She also said she will call dr. tomorrow at my request to see waht he has in mind as his and her ideas were different, and about the night splint that she seems to think i need, my dr. didnt say anything about that to me., I hope he doesnt get mad lol but I am not letting any one who tells me to stretch and wa;k without my shoes or hurts me and then laughs touch me again till the dr. talks and oks treatment! I have put to much into this already to have a setback! Every thing the dr. said or did she seemed to differ, I dont know could be interesting! She said u have pf pains still, we need to fix that, the dr. did not seem to think that , the nerve pain u are feeling is scar tissue, he did not say that either, she told me they would have to remove the scar tissue if it doesnt work out, and the pain continues, ok now I am worring! He did not say that either, and she said dont let him give u anymore cortisone, hehe I like d that one as I hate it anyways but if the dr. thinks that is a chance to help I am willing, So now what? I have been thinking all night about this, and truthfully if this gets any worse I am going to cut my own foot off as it would likely be less painful! And I dont know if this is good or not I tried icing tonight on the inside of ankle and that is a no go in orbit I go, why? does anyone know? I thought icing is the relief I iced from bottom! Ok my hysterics are over I have to vent as I hate the pain I am sorrrrryyyy it does hurt tho. Thanks for the help I will print out what u have given me as ideas and since I talked enough, I just wanted to say Thanks for the ear!

Glenn on 8/02/01 at 21:42 (055277)

I wish u luck on your dr. visit and hope that he is the one for u!!! Sure gets depressing I do understand! Do u have pf and the tts? just again a big thanks to u along with my fingers are crossed and prayers are in the work lol Night!

Re: Oh no I posted and forgot to remove your name it is me so sorry^

Tammie on 8/02/01 at 21:43 (055278)

Sorry

Re: More re PT

Glenn X on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055279)

Tammie: More FWIW. There were four physical therapists in the office I most recently visited. All four had been at it quite a while and all four worked me over at different times. They were all capable. Each had a different touch, a unique signature on my feet, my muscles and my tendons. I came to favor one in particular, was almost as comfortable with a second, a third was well-meaning but not as tuned in to my limits, and the fourth was just a bit too reckless for this sort of injury.

Of the two I preferred, I knew from initial hands-on treatment that they were 'connecting' (for lack of a better word) with me and the needs of my foot. I drove 40 miles round trip three times a week to this office, and would go back to be treated by either of the these two. Though I'll only do any further therapy under the guidance of a skilled DPM.

I would not go back for to other two. Not for PF.

I don't think I would like being treated by your lady either. Sounds like she started listening to you, but you had to be awfully insistent. I also believe we should connect with a therapist early on. Otherwise we'll have trouble turning our bodies over to the person without running risks.

Best of luck.

Glenn X on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055261)

Tammie: PT's are by nature gung ho. I did five weeks of aggressive PT a couple of years ago and it was a huge mistake.

More recently I completed another round of PT (about 24 visits worth), and while I think they generally did me some good, it too, in the end, was too agreessive. They were capable, well meaning people, but just didn't appreciate the tenuous nature, the risks of moving too quickly with PF therapy. Too impatient (though they listened much better than your lady). Some specifics.

MASSAGE: Helped some. Broke up scar tissue. Eventually was too aggressive.

STRETCHING: They were able to stretch my calf muscle with me laying face down on the table much more fully and painlessly than I was (am) ever able to against a wall. Leaned their leg into my foot. I wish I could duplicate that move at home. They also encouraged in-between-session wall stretches, which overdid me. I'd suggest staying away from them.

ULTRASOUND: Had 18 treatments. May have helped. Too much else going on to effectively evaluate.

WOBBLE BOARD: It's the damndest contraption out there. Probably good for ankle flexibility. Horrid for PF.

ANKLE MOVEMENTS: They'd grip and move my ankles around. Think this is helpful.

MEASUREMENT: They measured my ankle dorsiflexion. If you continue with your's, I'd strongly suggest you have them do this. And check it every two weeks.

RUBBER CORD: I got into some calf strengthening using a rubber cord with a loop on the end. Done lightly, this may be good too.

TOE LIFTS: I should have known better. (Rising up on toes). They had me doing them and I did too many of them. Good for calf muscles, bad for PF.

Next PT I'd opt for measuring flexibility, some measured degree of massage, ultrasound, table stretches (preceeded by 10 minutes of warm compresses on my calves), and light calf strengthening with a rubber cord.

That said, I'm seeing a well-DPM-recommended PT tomorrow for another evaluation, and all of the above may change.

Re: Re:wow u are seasoned then

Tammie on 8/02/01 at 21:40 (055276)

Thank u for replying I guess since I changed pt places as the other was so far away this is close for me so thought would be better fit in to our life heheh,they do things different then other palce. Maybe I was overwelmed again, as she is very agressive and thinks best way to lick it is lots of stretching , now I know the things by what u wrote that she did today the wall stretching was done several as she had me do 10 sets of 5 and the the other wall one the same tried the ankle thing but as soon as she grabbed I yelped and said do that again and I am outa here, she laughed and joked but I was dead serious.So she would push against me pushing the foot to side and tred to roll it but could not so we did toe in toe out stretch big toe, did toe lifts or like tried she measured something with a big plastic thing looked like a big thing with wheel on it and a compass protractor lin e heheh oh boy can tell I dont have a clue huh! Said ankles were stiff lazy mussels, in foot, not good with the toes coming in she did not like that, and said achilees tight she said boy are u flatfooted have u always been that way, yep all my life. I know there will be some pain as thease have rested to long but how can I tolerate anything in the ankle area, there were strong jolts and tingling and i could have hit her if she grabbed my ankle again, I am not violent at all! It hurt! I get mad when people do this and then they laugh at me and say oh sorry did that hurt, once I forgive as I know u have to diagnose but darn it not several times sorry I do not have that much pain tolerance! One thing is for certain what ever I did do has stirred a hornets nest in the foot it was not to happy anyways the last few nights, ! I dont want there job either ! Ok now she wants me to do the soleus stretch and the gastroc one at home wall ones, 10 times hold 10 sec and 4 tms a day, then the big toe stretch and the move the ankle in and out . She also said she will call dr. tomorrow at my request to see waht he has in mind as his and her ideas were different, and about the night splint that she seems to think i need, my dr. didnt say anything about that to me., I hope he doesnt get mad lol but I am not letting any one who tells me to stretch and wa;k without my shoes or hurts me and then laughs touch me again till the dr. talks and oks treatment! I have put to much into this already to have a setback! Every thing the dr. said or did she seemed to differ, I dont know could be interesting! She said u have pf pains still, we need to fix that, the dr. did not seem to think that , the nerve pain u are feeling is scar tissue, he did not say that either, she told me they would have to remove the scar tissue if it doesnt work out, and the pain continues, ok now I am worring! He did not say that either, and she said dont let him give u anymore cortisone, hehe I like d that one as I hate it anyways but if the dr. thinks that is a chance to help I am willing, So now what? I have been thinking all night about this, and truthfully if this gets any worse I am going to cut my own foot off as it would likely be less painful! And I dont know if this is good or not I tried icing tonight on the inside of ankle and that is a no go in orbit I go, why? does anyone know? I thought icing is the relief I iced from bottom! Ok my hysterics are over I have to vent as I hate the pain I am sorrrrryyyy it does hurt tho. Thanks for the help I will print out what u have given me as ideas and since I talked enough, I just wanted to say Thanks for the ear!

Glenn on 8/02/01 at 21:42 (055277)

I wish u luck on your dr. visit and hope that he is the one for u!!! Sure gets depressing I do understand! Do u have pf and the tts? just again a big thanks to u along with my fingers are crossed and prayers are in the work lol Night!

Re: Oh no I posted and forgot to remove your name it is me so sorry^

Tammie on 8/02/01 at 21:43 (055278)

Sorry

Re: More re PT

Glenn X on 8/02/01 at hrmin (055279)

Tammie: More FWIW. There were four physical therapists in the office I most recently visited. All four had been at it quite a while and all four worked me over at different times. They were all capable. Each had a different touch, a unique signature on my feet, my muscles and my tendons. I came to favor one in particular, was almost as comfortable with a second, a third was well-meaning but not as tuned in to my limits, and the fourth was just a bit too reckless for this sort of injury.

Of the two I preferred, I knew from initial hands-on treatment that they were 'connecting' (for lack of a better word) with me and the needs of my foot. I drove 40 miles round trip three times a week to this office, and would go back to be treated by either of the these two. Though I'll only do any further therapy under the guidance of a skilled DPM.

I would not go back for to other two. Not for PF.

I don't think I would like being treated by your lady either. Sounds like she started listening to you, but you had to be awfully insistent. I also believe we should connect with a therapist early on. Otherwise we'll have trouble turning our bodies over to the person without running risks.

Best of luck.