Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can you give me some advice Richard?

Posted by Regina Brown on 8/03/01 at 13:54 (055351)

Hi,
I have recently been told that I should get some orthotics by my dr.and physical therapist also.I have had EPF surgery and am still having pain and the suggestion was that getting these may help.My question is that I have scoliosis and uneven hips which in turn makes me have a leg length discreptancy
have you ever made orthotics for this particular leg problem and how would you go about making some for people that has this sort of problem? I have tried wearing a built up shoe but can't because it makes me have extreme hip pain when I do as it pushes my hip upright and it is'set'.Any suggestions!!?Thanks very much.Regina

Re: Can you give me some advice Richard?

Richard, C.Ped on 8/03/01 at 15:19 (055357)

Hi Regina,
We have made orthotics for this condition. what you don't want to do is provide more lift than needed. We were taught in school to take the measurement difference, then divide it by one half. This is the amount of lift we do. It will also depend on how far along the scoloisis is. You don't want the orthotics to hurt you in any way. sometimes,you may only want to provide cushion for extreme cases.
Richard

Re: Can you give me some advice Richard?

Richard, C.Ped on 8/03/01 at 15:19 (055357)

Hi Regina,
We have made orthotics for this condition. what you don't want to do is provide more lift than needed. We were taught in school to take the measurement difference, then divide it by one half. This is the amount of lift we do. It will also depend on how far along the scoloisis is. You don't want the orthotics to hurt you in any way. sometimes,you may only want to provide cushion for extreme cases.
Richard