Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS or Plantar Fasciitis or Both?!!!?

Posted by SusieP on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055379)

Somebody help me! I have had pain in my feet for a year now. It started in the ball of my feet and at the front part of my heel. Primary doctor diagnosed PF. Got better for a few months, and then started again in May of 2001. It started back in my heel, arch and ball of my foot. Pain is not immediately there when standing up (like most PF patients) but after walking or standing for more than 10 min. The longer I am on them, the worse the pain- causing ankle pain, lower leg pain and a burning sensation in my foot and then numbness. A podiatrist diagnosed PF. Tried PowerSteps and Vioxx and Celebrex, no relief. Started physical therapy 3 weeks ago and therapist thinks it is TTS. She can hold her thumb on my inner ankle and my toes tingle and then go numb. She has done iontophoresis, tens (don't know what tens stands for)but it is electrical charges I think. The treatments seem to help short term, but only for about 12-24 hours. Tried wrapping feet-which caused more tingling and numbness. I also remembered a knot(fatty tumor) that is in my back. It has been there for 2 yrs and the therapist now thinks that it may be pressing on a nerve near my spine which leads to my legs and feet. My primary doctor thinks she's nuts and insists that it is only plantar facsiitis. I am not convinced of this yet. My life is very limited at this point- I can't climb stairs, I can't pick up my 2 yr old daughter, and I can't go shopping without a wheelchair. Does anyone have any helpful information? Please e-mail me a response at: spresley@scott.k12.ky.us

Re: TTS or Plantar Fasciitis or Both?!!!?

Julie on 8/04/01 at 01:32 (055407)

Susie, I am not a doctor. I'm sure one of the doctors will respond, but what you describe doesn't sound like plantar fasciitis (or simply plantar fasciitis - some of these foot ailments happen together). Tingling and numbness do suggest nerve involvement, which could be TTS, or could be coming from your spine. You should probably have a full examination of your spine as well as your whole lower extremity, and whatever tests are necessary, to determine where your symptoms originate. The fatty tumour could be implicated, but it could also be a herniated disc impinging on a nerve. If your doctor doesn't see the need for investigating these possibilities, I would suggest you get another opinion.

Do you still see the podiatrist whom you say also diagnosed PF? What does he think about the possibility of nerve involvement?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055478)

Your description suggests that you may have both tarsal tunnel syndrome and plantar fasciitis. Your doctor may want to consider a nerve conduction velocity test and/or MRI.
Ed

Julie on 8/04/01 at 01:32 (055407)

Susie, I am not a doctor. I'm sure one of the doctors will respond, but what you describe doesn't sound like plantar fasciitis (or simply plantar fasciitis - some of these foot ailments happen together). Tingling and numbness do suggest nerve involvement, which could be TTS, or could be coming from your spine. You should probably have a full examination of your spine as well as your whole lower extremity, and whatever tests are necessary, to determine where your symptoms originate. The fatty tumour could be implicated, but it could also be a herniated disc impinging on a nerve. If your doctor doesn't see the need for investigating these possibilities, I would suggest you get another opinion.

Do you still see the podiatrist whom you say also diagnosed PF? What does he think about the possibility of nerve involvement?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055478)

Your description suggests that you may have both tarsal tunnel syndrome and plantar fasciitis. Your doctor may want to consider a nerve conduction velocity test and/or MRI.
Ed