Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

myofascial release

Posted by paula g on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055383)

i finally found a pt who talks and listens . she seems like a really good therapist and thinks my pf is from an overly tight fascia and has used myofascail release to pretty good effect. she also taught how to do it to my partner so that i can get released every day. learning how to do this is pretty easey, seems to me, and i also do it on myself wherever i can reach it.

Re: myofascial release

Brenda G. on 8/03/01 at 22:12 (055390)

Hi. I, too, have been told that my lack of full recovery is due to tight fascia. I do the stretches for the calves, but the standing stretches seem to inflamed my once torn fascia. I've been in a pain level increase to about a 6-7 the past 2 days and have swelling in the back of the arch area, I actually have pouches of fluid. I am interested in a non-surgical fascial release, can you explain further. Thanks. Brenda

paula on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055399)

not sure i have much more to explain. my therapist said look at chicken when you eat it. under the skin and fat is a strong stretchy film like skin. that is fascia. it covers our whole body and is all of a piece, all connected. when we fall down or tear a tendon, like me, sometimes it gets traumatized and tight.She also said no one quite knows all the things that make fascia tight. the massage itslef is hard for me to describe but is simply done. anyone else here better at describing things?

wendyn on 8/04/01 at 08:04 (055421)

My realitvely uneducated understanding is that the points you go after are the 'trigger points'...one article described them as locations of 'exquisite tenderness'. My PT used to take his elbow and lean into the spots where he found trigger points...I didn't have to tell him - he said the muscle felt different there..like overcooked meat. My massage therapist also does trigger point release. It's very painful - but effective..I have booked a much needed 90 min massage this week (I haven't been in months).

I have also done something similar myself with a trick I learned in yoga and PT. You take a tennis ball and either lean against it on the wall, or lay on it on the floor. You roll around till it hits one of those little painful spots..then you just relax on it until it releases. Must be careful not to roll around on soft internal organs like spleens - just shoulders, back, butt, legs. It works...but be forewarned you look pretty ridiculous doing this so dont' try it in the middle of a crowded mall - a quiet room at home would be best.

paula on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055491)

wendyn, the myofascial release i get from my pt doesnt sound like what you got. she is very gentle and i never feel any pain. she believes the gentler you do it the better. she holds each position for many minutes until the whole muscle relaxes.

wendyn on 8/04/01 at 22:15 (055503)

Hi Paula, must be a somewhat different type of technique...any time I've had it done (2 different PT and 3 different massage therapists) it has always started out as pain, but then the pain subsides. I'd be interested to know more about the two different ways of doing this if anyone else has thoughts...

Brenda G. on 8/03/01 at 22:12 (055390)

Hi. I, too, have been told that my lack of full recovery is due to tight fascia. I do the stretches for the calves, but the standing stretches seem to inflamed my once torn fascia. I've been in a pain level increase to about a 6-7 the past 2 days and have swelling in the back of the arch area, I actually have pouches of fluid. I am interested in a non-surgical fascial release, can you explain further. Thanks. Brenda

paula on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055399)

not sure i have much more to explain. my therapist said look at chicken when you eat it. under the skin and fat is a strong stretchy film like skin. that is fascia. it covers our whole body and is all of a piece, all connected. when we fall down or tear a tendon, like me, sometimes it gets traumatized and tight.She also said no one quite knows all the things that make fascia tight. the massage itslef is hard for me to describe but is simply done. anyone else here better at describing things?

wendyn on 8/04/01 at 08:04 (055421)

My realitvely uneducated understanding is that the points you go after are the 'trigger points'...one article described them as locations of 'exquisite tenderness'. My PT used to take his elbow and lean into the spots where he found trigger points...I didn't have to tell him - he said the muscle felt different there..like overcooked meat. My massage therapist also does trigger point release. It's very painful - but effective..I have booked a much needed 90 min massage this week (I haven't been in months).

I have also done something similar myself with a trick I learned in yoga and PT. You take a tennis ball and either lean against it on the wall, or lay on it on the floor. You roll around till it hits one of those little painful spots..then you just relax on it until it releases. Must be careful not to roll around on soft internal organs like spleens - just shoulders, back, butt, legs. It works...but be forewarned you look pretty ridiculous doing this so dont' try it in the middle of a crowded mall - a quiet room at home would be best.

paula on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055491)

wendyn, the myofascial release i get from my pt doesnt sound like what you got. she is very gentle and i never feel any pain. she believes the gentler you do it the better. she holds each position for many minutes until the whole muscle relaxes.

wendyn on 8/04/01 at 22:15 (055503)

Hi Paula, must be a somewhat different type of technique...any time I've had it done (2 different PT and 3 different massage therapists) it has always started out as pain, but then the pain subsides. I'd be interested to know more about the two different ways of doing this if anyone else has thoughts...