Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Husband in MAJOR pain from P.F.

Posted by Tanya A. on 8/03/01 at hrmin (055392)

Help, we have done it all. My husband was diagnosed with Plantar Facicia (spelled wrong) this past winter. He has done it all: exercises, pills, foot splits, etc. The only thing that worked for awhile was BIRKENSTOCK shoes. He swears by them--but the pain is coming back. We want to discuss the ESWT but can't need to find out more information. If anybody knows anything please contact us by e-mail and let us know. ESPECIALLY if you have had this surgery.
Thank you--
Tanya

Re: Husband in MAJOR pain from P.F.

Julie on 8/04/01 at 01:55 (055412)

Hello Tanya

There is a great deal of information about ESWT on this website. Go to the home page, and click on 'ESWT' in the box at the top. You can also read the ESWT message board, with posts from people who have had it, and the doctors who are experienced in delivering it.

If you go to the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' message board, you will see Dr David Zuckerman's name. Click on it, and you will be able to e-mail him for information. He practices in New Jersey (Woodbury - or Woodbridge?)

I also suggest you both read the heel pain book (click on it right here) for information about PF and ways of dealing with it.The message boards will also be helpful. You say you have done it all, but possibly there are things you haven't done. Do you have a good podiatrist who is monitoring your husband's progress? Does your husband know that he should never go barefoot? Has he tried taping, which rests the fascia and contributes to healing as well as relieving the pain. Has he been assessed for biomechanical faults in his walking which orthotics could correct?

Tell us a bit more about the treatment so far. ESWT, from all I have read about it, is an excellent option once all other conservative treatments have failed, but you may not be at that stage yet.

I wish you and your husband all the best for a full recovery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055471)

Tanya-
You stated that your husband has 'done it all' but you have really not listed any of the treatment plans for plantar fasciitis. What exactly has he done--please be specific? I know that I am being repetitious but read the heel pain book written by Scott.

Treatment does not consist of randomly trying a bunch of things. There are good reasons why certain things should be done at certain times for certain individuals... Find a doctor well versed in the treatment of this problem--usually not a generalist. I can try to guide you in the area of appropriate treatments if I have more detailed information on what has been done.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055474)

PS You have provided us with one clue--the Birkenstocks. If Birkenstocks helped that tells us that the need for biomechanical control is a factor. Consider a good pair of orthotics.
Ed

Julie on 8/04/01 at 01:55 (055412)

Hello Tanya

There is a great deal of information about ESWT on this website. Go to the home page, and click on 'ESWT' in the box at the top. You can also read the ESWT message board, with posts from people who have had it, and the doctors who are experienced in delivering it.

If you go to the 'Ask the Foot Doctors' message board, you will see Dr David Zuckerman's name. Click on it, and you will be able to e-mail him for information. He practices in New Jersey (Woodbury - or Woodbridge?)

I also suggest you both read the heel pain book (click on it right here) for information about PF and ways of dealing with it.The message boards will also be helpful. You say you have done it all, but possibly there are things you haven't done. Do you have a good podiatrist who is monitoring your husband's progress? Does your husband know that he should never go barefoot? Has he tried taping, which rests the fascia and contributes to healing as well as relieving the pain. Has he been assessed for biomechanical faults in his walking which orthotics could correct?

Tell us a bit more about the treatment so far. ESWT, from all I have read about it, is an excellent option once all other conservative treatments have failed, but you may not be at that stage yet.

I wish you and your husband all the best for a full recovery.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055471)

Tanya-
You stated that your husband has 'done it all' but you have really not listed any of the treatment plans for plantar fasciitis. What exactly has he done--please be specific? I know that I am being repetitious but read the heel pain book written by Scott.

Treatment does not consist of randomly trying a bunch of things. There are good reasons why certain things should be done at certain times for certain individuals... Find a doctor well versed in the treatment of this problem--usually not a generalist. I can try to guide you in the area of appropriate treatments if I have more detailed information on what has been done.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055474)

PS You have provided us with one clue--the Birkenstocks. If Birkenstocks helped that tells us that the need for biomechanical control is a factor. Consider a good pair of orthotics.
Ed