Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Wendy.......

Posted by JudyS on 8/03/01 at 23:27 (055398)

Wendy, I was remembering that you had a good hiking day last weekend....did you have any problems in the days following the hike?

Re: Wendy.......

wendyn on 8/04/01 at 08:18 (055423)

Hi Judy - I tried to send you pictures but they got returned...if you email me I will confirm your address..

My feet have been up and down all week. Sunday was the hike, Monday and Tuesday my feet were pretty good. Wednesday, Thursday evening they were doing the red hot flashes thing (I don't like that, it hurts).

Yesterday they were being difficult...sometimes when I'm walking (luckily it doesn't happen very often) I'll get a very sudden sharp ripping feeling on the bottom of a foot. I have no idea what it is, but thankfully it usually happens when no one else is around. I'm sure the sudden expression of extreme agaony on my face would seem really bizarre to anyone watching. It causes me to freeze mid step and then I'm afraid to move. (In all this has probably happned maybe 6 or 7 times in the last 6 months) This happened once yesterday morning, had my attention right away. I had lunch plans with co-workers, and had to walk several blocks to a restaurant at lunch. We got there, and the place was closed for rennovations - another few blocks to an alternative site. By the time I sat down at the table, I had to sit by myself for a few minutes while everyone else went to the buffet. I sat and collected myself and tried not to cry in the middle of a crowded Chinese restaurant- partly from pain, partly from frustration.

I HATE slowing everyone down and I HATE it when my feet get in the way of my life.

Now - the question would be whether or not the hike actually caused the increase in pain. Probably - but there's no way to know for sure. I have these flare ups once in a while anyway...so I guess I just accept the fact that this time - I deserved it!

I have a massage booked for Thursday, I'll try to do some yoga between now and then. I haven't been for acupuncture in months - so I'll try to get back at it in September after my vacation.

Re: Yowch

Glenn X on 8/06/01 at 15:16 (055664)

Wendy: Been looking for an update. Thanks. You really pushed the envelope, maybe could have been worse? Not sure what you've experienced in the past.

It's got to be tuff writing about less than 100 percent progress. I don't like doing so. Somehow writing about or voicing life's circumstances make them more real. Somehow too, you seem able to relate your frustration with optimism. That's gutsy.

Yesterday I asked one of my daughters to do some grocery shopping for me. First time I'd ever felt a need to do that. I HATED doing it, she loved being able to do it --- and I felt loved by her absolutely unconditional and eager willingness to help. I won't hate it the next time.

I think I'm going to go after slowing some people down.

Thanks again for the update. I take strength from your courage.

wendyn on 8/06/01 at 16:39 (055681)

For comparison purposes Glenn...2 years ago I could barely walk at all. On my own pain scale - my pain was a consistent 8+ - I was barely able to eat or sleep. Sat in my sink to put on my makeup - couldn't even go into a store at all.

Yes - I pushed, yes it was worth it...like I said - I get these flare ups sometimes for absolutely no reason at all!

Re: Wendy.......

wendyn on 8/04/01 at 08:18 (055423)

Hi Judy - I tried to send you pictures but they got returned...if you email me I will confirm your address..

My feet have been up and down all week. Sunday was the hike, Monday and Tuesday my feet were pretty good. Wednesday, Thursday evening they were doing the red hot flashes thing (I don't like that, it hurts).

Yesterday they were being difficult...sometimes when I'm walking (luckily it doesn't happen very often) I'll get a very sudden sharp ripping feeling on the bottom of a foot. I have no idea what it is, but thankfully it usually happens when no one else is around. I'm sure the sudden expression of extreme agaony on my face would seem really bizarre to anyone watching. It causes me to freeze mid step and then I'm afraid to move. (In all this has probably happned maybe 6 or 7 times in the last 6 months) This happened once yesterday morning, had my attention right away. I had lunch plans with co-workers, and had to walk several blocks to a restaurant at lunch. We got there, and the place was closed for rennovations - another few blocks to an alternative site. By the time I sat down at the table, I had to sit by myself for a few minutes while everyone else went to the buffet. I sat and collected myself and tried not to cry in the middle of a crowded Chinese restaurant- partly from pain, partly from frustration.

I HATE slowing everyone down and I HATE it when my feet get in the way of my life.

Now - the question would be whether or not the hike actually caused the increase in pain. Probably - but there's no way to know for sure. I have these flare ups once in a while anyway...so I guess I just accept the fact that this time - I deserved it!

I have a massage booked for Thursday, I'll try to do some yoga between now and then. I haven't been for acupuncture in months - so I'll try to get back at it in September after my vacation.

Glenn X on 8/06/01 at 15:16 (055664)

Wendy: Been looking for an update. Thanks. You really pushed the envelope, maybe could have been worse? Not sure what you've experienced in the past.

It's got to be tuff writing about less than 100 percent progress. I don't like doing so. Somehow writing about or voicing life's circumstances make them more real. Somehow too, you seem able to relate your frustration with optimism. That's gutsy.

Yesterday I asked one of my daughters to do some grocery shopping for me. First time I'd ever felt a need to do that. I HATED doing it, she loved being able to do it --- and I felt loved by her absolutely unconditional and eager willingness to help. I won't hate it the next time.

I think I'm going to go after slowing some people down.

Thanks again for the update. I take strength from your courage.

wendyn on 8/06/01 at 16:39 (055681)

For comparison purposes Glenn...2 years ago I could barely walk at all. On my own pain scale - my pain was a consistent 8+ - I was barely able to eat or sleep. Sat in my sink to put on my makeup - couldn't even go into a store at all.

Yes - I pushed, yes it was worth it...like I said - I get these flare ups sometimes for absolutely no reason at all!