Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First time, Greetings

Posted by Maureen S. on 8/04/01 at 00:05 (055400)

Hello, my name is Maureen and I am 34 years old. I live in California. I recently had TT surgery(3 wks ago). I really enjoy all the information and support that I have found today on this site and look forward to keeping in touch, Maureen

Re: First time, Greetings

Laurie R on 8/04/01 at 01:36 (055409)

Hi Maureen and welcome to the board... My name is Laurie R and I have had PF for 2.2 years now . I also have CRPS a from of RSD and they think I may have TTS .. I also live in CA I am right near San Francisco. You will find all the support you need here. This board is my main support. Scott has done such a wonderful job on his site. If you hav have any questions please feel free to ask. You will find the most compassionate and caring people here. You will also make a lot of friends. We all help each other out here. So Welcome ...... My very best to you and it was a pleasure to meet you Maureen...Laurie R

Julie on 8/04/01 at 02:28 (055414)

Wecome to the board, Maureen. I saw your other post on the TTS board and registered with pleasure that you're feeling wonderful three weeks post-surgery! Good for you. As Laurie says, you'll get a lot of good company and support here, so please stick around.

(I live in London. That's why I'm always posting in your middle-of-the-California-night. It's 8.30 am here - on Saturday 4 August.)

Re: First time, Greetings re Julie

Laurie R on 8/04/01 at 03:01 (055416)

Hello Julie, That is right it is always you and I posting late at night . I have no one to chat with this late. I hope you have a wonderful Sat Julie.... Laurie R

Re: Hi Laurie!

Julie on 8/04/01 at 06:18 (055418)

I think there must be a ten-hour time difference between California and London, so when it's 3.01 Saturday morning (board time) it's really 11.01 Friday night California time and 9.01 Saturday morning London time. Mind-boggling, isn't it?

Anyway, Laurie, it's now 12.13 pm here, so it must be 2.13 am there, and I hope you are asleep in bed by now! And when you wake up on *your* Saturday morning, I hope your pain is much much better. My Saturday has started nicely - it's sunny, cooler than it was during our 90-degree heat wave last week - with a swim and a short food shop. Now I'm trying to sort out all the rubbish on my desk.

Re chat (your other message) - I'm afraid to investigate its mysteries. If I got as addicted to it as I am to the board I'd never get anything else done! Anyway - I don't think I could think fast enough. OId age creeping along, you know.

All the best, Laurie

Julie

wendyn on 8/04/01 at 08:19 (055424)

Welcome Maureen - I hope all goes well for you!

Re: First time, Welcome Maureen S!

Clara on 8/04/01 at 09:40 (055431)

Hello Maureen! Welcome on the board! How are you after the surgery? Gosh I do not know what TT is, I will check on the search-board for it. I know all about PF, anyway. I´m 35 years old and live in Sweden, have 2 kids and house to keep, and a job to keep (well, it´s been 6 months since I´ve been there...) I have had PF for 6 months now, but getting better.

Keep in touch
and take care now!
/Clara

Steve P on 8/04/01 at 10:23 (055435)

Hi Maureen --- The ladies above have said it so well.....welcome!

We're all here to help each other. Glad to have you.

Steve

Steve P on 8/04/01 at 10:25 (055436)

You're right, Julie. My wife's company's HQs are in San Diego & they have an office in Ireland. Their work days only overlap by one hour!

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 10:49 (055439)

Hi Maureen and welcome......I'm in California also.
How are you feeling in these weeks following your surgery?

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 10:56 (055440)

Julie - I'm wondering about that time difference- by the time of this post of yours, 2:28AM Scott's time which is 12:28AM CA time, you said it was 8:30AM your time......so that makes London 8 hours ahead of California...I suspect I've goofed in my calculations here so feel free to help me figure it out......as you know I have a vested interest in knowing the correct difference!

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 10:57 (055441)

Hurray Hurray - Mrs. Uncle Steve is coming to visit me.....:)

Re: Judy, what time is it?

Julie on 8/04/01 at 11:02 (055442)

Just caught you. It is now 5pm exactly here. What time is it in CA?

I've assumed that Scott's time is EST. But perhaps it isn't?

Did you get my e-mail about the London flat? Please reassure me - I'll send it again if need be. (If I can find it, that is.)

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 11:37 (055448)

oops.....sorry Julie, I got off the 'net before you posted this. Scott's time is actually Central standard. Your 5:00 today is my 9:00AM.
Did you see the second part of my previous post re: the London flat?

Julie on 8/04/01 at 11:46 (055452)

So there's nine hours difference. Whew. I'm glad we know the answer to this all-consuming question. Thanks.

Yes - there's a message about London flats on the Social board (isn't that where we are?) I posted it about half an hour ago.

Julie on 8/04/01 at 11:47 (055453)

PS It's at the top of the board - I started a new thread.

john h on 8/04/01 at 11:48 (055454)

hello maurine: i had the tts surgery 2 years ago.

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 11:51 (055455)

ummmmm......I think it's 8 hours.

Julie on 8/04/01 at 13:02 (055464)

Right you are. My mistake. Eight hours.

john h on 8/04/01 at 20:13 (055493)

in the military world we talk time in reference to Greenwich Mean Time. The prime meridian on the earth runs through a borough of London named Greenwich. This meridan is used to measure time zones on the earth. There are 23 times zones and two half time zones. Julie you live at ground zero from which all time is measured. Now! are you not all glad you read this post. Judy will just confuse you with am and pm and 6 hours ahead or 3 hours behind. to me midnight will all way be 2400hours and if it's 24hours zulu time it is midnight in London. We will continue this class later.

JudyS on 8/05/01 at 00:41 (055509)

But John.........what time is it? :)

Julie on 8/05/01 at 03:00 (055518)

John, thank you for this lucid explanation (much appreciated by someone who apparently can't add up or at least forgot how to yesterday). We live 15 minute' walk from the prime meridian in Greenwich Park. It's an actual brass line, laid in the pavement, and you can stand astride it with one foot in east longitude and the other in west. When we first moved here, and parents, friends and relations visited from the States, we always took them up to the park to stand on it. It was the piece de resistance of every visit.

It was because of Greenwich's position at longitude 0 that the decision to build the Millenium Dome here was made - an emotional and ill-considered decision that proved the expected finanancial and political disaster (a little provincial local difficulty which exercised the entire nation for years but probably never made the back pages in the States). We can see the top of it from our bedroom window.

john h on 8/05/01 at 09:43 (055529)

julie: now you informed me something i was totally unaware of. that there is an actual brass line where the prme meridian is located. that will be a must the next time i visit london. judy it would obviously help you to stride the prime merdian as it will help you once and fro all to tell what time it is. take a picture when you do it as i want to see the meridian marker.

Re: Greenwich Park

Julie on 8/05/01 at 12:40 (055539)

This afternoon we went (as we often do) up to Greenwich Park for a walk. It's been a beautiful day here: sunny but cooler than during our last weeks's heat wave, wonderful thick white cumulus clouds in a deep blue sky, a nice breeze. Greenwich Park is surely one of the most beautiful parks in the world - we love it, and are very lucky to live so near it. It's very varied - parts of it are rolling hills, and very natural, and there is also a beautiful formal flower garden. The trees are wonderful: there are some ancient ones, dating back 3-4 hundred years, oaks and chestnuts and cedars. The Queen's House, built by Inigo Jone,s and the Royal Observatory and Naval College built by Christopher Wren and others, make up one of the most important and impressive architectural complexes in Britain. It's all looking beautiful at the moment , probably due to the very wet Spring - usually by August everything is looking rather tired, but this year it's still fresh, and lush.

All this makes 'our' park one of the most popular tourist sites in London, so when we passed the prime meridian the crowds there were so huge we could hardly get through them. Then we walked on to the bandstand, where the brass band concert was in full swing. These have been a regular feature of summer Sundays ever since we moved here in 1964 and probably long before that. Lots of people were sitting on the grass, on the benches, or on folding chairs that they'd brought along. We stopped for a while and I stretched out on the grass, looked up at the sky and enjoyed the music. As we walked on we agreed that it's such an innocent, old-fashioned way for people to enjoy themselves - and very strange that it still exists. It felt like being in a time capsule.

So I thought I'd write this and tell you about my Sunday and about Greenwich Park, where the prime meridian divides east and west - and where time began.

wendyn on 8/05/01 at 14:01 (055550)

What a nice post Julie - thanks!!

Glenn X on 8/05/01 at 15:29 (055554)

Julie: Thanks for the moment. Feels good. It's a blue-sky breezy day in this part of the world, and especially nice to know so immediately, looking up into that sky, that someone you sorta know half-way 'round the world shared the same sight.

Julie on 8/05/01 at 16:09 (055561)

Thank you - and it's nice to know that you're still enjoying the day. Here it's night now, and bedtime, so - goodnight.

I've just remembered - I had a wonderful (ice-cold) swim somewhere along the north Oregon coast in August 1956. That was a nice day too!

john h on 8/05/01 at 19:00 (055568)

sounds like the place i want to be julie. it is 99 degrees here in Little Rock and Bill Clinton is town telling us all how his library will be for the 'world'!

Laurie R on 8/05/01 at 21:02 (055579)

Dear Julie , So kind of you to post your Sunday .... Wow what a day you had. What a day in the park can do for a person.. And the one you went to sounds so beautiful .Thanks for sharing you day with us.....

Laurie R

Re: what time is it?

nancy s. on 8/05/01 at 23:08 (055592)

it's 12:06 a.m.
just didn't want this question to go unanswered.

JudyS on 8/05/01 at 23:55 (055594)

Finally....someone's listening to me! Thanks, Nancy. You're a dear! :)

Laurie R on 8/04/01 at 01:36 (055409)

Hi Maureen and welcome to the board... My name is Laurie R and I have had PF for 2.2 years now . I also have CRPS a from of RSD and they think I may have TTS .. I also live in CA I am right near San Francisco. You will find all the support you need here. This board is my main support. Scott has done such a wonderful job on his site. If you hav have any questions please feel free to ask. You will find the most compassionate and caring people here. You will also make a lot of friends. We all help each other out here. So Welcome ...... My very best to you and it was a pleasure to meet you Maureen...Laurie R

Julie on 8/04/01 at 02:28 (055414)

Wecome to the board, Maureen. I saw your other post on the TTS board and registered with pleasure that you're feeling wonderful three weeks post-surgery! Good for you. As Laurie says, you'll get a lot of good company and support here, so please stick around.

(I live in London. That's why I'm always posting in your middle-of-the-California-night. It's 8.30 am here - on Saturday 4 August.)

Re: First time, Greetings re Julie

Laurie R on 8/04/01 at 03:01 (055416)

Hello Julie, That is right it is always you and I posting late at night . I have no one to chat with this late. I hope you have a wonderful Sat Julie.... Laurie R

Julie on 8/04/01 at 06:18 (055418)

I think there must be a ten-hour time difference between California and London, so when it's 3.01 Saturday morning (board time) it's really 11.01 Friday night California time and 9.01 Saturday morning London time. Mind-boggling, isn't it?

Anyway, Laurie, it's now 12.13 pm here, so it must be 2.13 am there, and I hope you are asleep in bed by now! And when you wake up on *your* Saturday morning, I hope your pain is much much better. My Saturday has started nicely - it's sunny, cooler than it was during our 90-degree heat wave last week - with a swim and a short food shop. Now I'm trying to sort out all the rubbish on my desk.

Re chat (your other message) - I'm afraid to investigate its mysteries. If I got as addicted to it as I am to the board I'd never get anything else done! Anyway - I don't think I could think fast enough. OId age creeping along, you know.

All the best, Laurie

Julie

wendyn on 8/04/01 at 08:19 (055424)

Welcome Maureen - I hope all goes well for you!

Re: First time, Welcome Maureen S!

Clara on 8/04/01 at 09:40 (055431)

Hello Maureen! Welcome on the board! How are you after the surgery? Gosh I do not know what TT is, I will check on the search-board for it. I know all about PF, anyway. I´m 35 years old and live in Sweden, have 2 kids and house to keep, and a job to keep (well, it´s been 6 months since I´ve been there...) I have had PF for 6 months now, but getting better.

Keep in touch
and take care now!
/Clara

Steve P on 8/04/01 at 10:23 (055435)

Hi Maureen --- The ladies above have said it so well.....welcome!

We're all here to help each other. Glad to have you.

Steve

Steve P on 8/04/01 at 10:25 (055436)

You're right, Julie. My wife's company's HQs are in San Diego & they have an office in Ireland. Their work days only overlap by one hour!

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 10:49 (055439)

Hi Maureen and welcome......I'm in California also.
How are you feeling in these weeks following your surgery?

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 10:56 (055440)

Julie - I'm wondering about that time difference- by the time of this post of yours, 2:28AM Scott's time which is 12:28AM CA time, you said it was 8:30AM your time......so that makes London 8 hours ahead of California...I suspect I've goofed in my calculations here so feel free to help me figure it out......as you know I have a vested interest in knowing the correct difference!

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 10:57 (055441)

Hurray Hurray - Mrs. Uncle Steve is coming to visit me.....:)

Julie on 8/04/01 at 11:02 (055442)

Just caught you. It is now 5pm exactly here. What time is it in CA?

I've assumed that Scott's time is EST. But perhaps it isn't?

Did you get my e-mail about the London flat? Please reassure me - I'll send it again if need be. (If I can find it, that is.)

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 11:37 (055448)

oops.....sorry Julie, I got off the 'net before you posted this. Scott's time is actually Central standard. Your 5:00 today is my 9:00AM.
Did you see the second part of my previous post re: the London flat?

Julie on 8/04/01 at 11:46 (055452)

So there's nine hours difference. Whew. I'm glad we know the answer to this all-consuming question. Thanks.

Yes - there's a message about London flats on the Social board (isn't that where we are?) I posted it about half an hour ago.

Julie on 8/04/01 at 11:47 (055453)

PS It's at the top of the board - I started a new thread.

john h on 8/04/01 at 11:48 (055454)

hello maurine: i had the tts surgery 2 years ago.

JudyS on 8/04/01 at 11:51 (055455)

ummmmm......I think it's 8 hours.

Julie on 8/04/01 at 13:02 (055464)

Right you are. My mistake. Eight hours.

john h on 8/04/01 at 20:13 (055493)

in the military world we talk time in reference to Greenwich Mean Time. The prime meridian on the earth runs through a borough of London named Greenwich. This meridan is used to measure time zones on the earth. There are 23 times zones and two half time zones. Julie you live at ground zero from which all time is measured. Now! are you not all glad you read this post. Judy will just confuse you with am and pm and 6 hours ahead or 3 hours behind. to me midnight will all way be 2400hours and if it's 24hours zulu time it is midnight in London. We will continue this class later.

JudyS on 8/05/01 at 00:41 (055509)

But John.........what time is it? :)

Julie on 8/05/01 at 03:00 (055518)

John, thank you for this lucid explanation (much appreciated by someone who apparently can't add up or at least forgot how to yesterday). We live 15 minute' walk from the prime meridian in Greenwich Park. It's an actual brass line, laid in the pavement, and you can stand astride it with one foot in east longitude and the other in west. When we first moved here, and parents, friends and relations visited from the States, we always took them up to the park to stand on it. It was the piece de resistance of every visit.

It was because of Greenwich's position at longitude 0 that the decision to build the Millenium Dome here was made - an emotional and ill-considered decision that proved the expected finanancial and political disaster (a little provincial local difficulty which exercised the entire nation for years but probably never made the back pages in the States). We can see the top of it from our bedroom window.

john h on 8/05/01 at 09:43 (055529)

julie: now you informed me something i was totally unaware of. that there is an actual brass line where the prme meridian is located. that will be a must the next time i visit london. judy it would obviously help you to stride the prime merdian as it will help you once and fro all to tell what time it is. take a picture when you do it as i want to see the meridian marker.

Julie on 8/05/01 at 12:40 (055539)

This afternoon we went (as we often do) up to Greenwich Park for a walk. It's been a beautiful day here: sunny but cooler than during our last weeks's heat wave, wonderful thick white cumulus clouds in a deep blue sky, a nice breeze. Greenwich Park is surely one of the most beautiful parks in the world - we love it, and are very lucky to live so near it. It's very varied - parts of it are rolling hills, and very natural, and there is also a beautiful formal flower garden. The trees are wonderful: there are some ancient ones, dating back 3-4 hundred years, oaks and chestnuts and cedars. The Queen's House, built by Inigo Jone,s and the Royal Observatory and Naval College built by Christopher Wren and others, make up one of the most important and impressive architectural complexes in Britain. It's all looking beautiful at the moment , probably due to the very wet Spring - usually by August everything is looking rather tired, but this year it's still fresh, and lush.

All this makes 'our' park one of the most popular tourist sites in London, so when we passed the prime meridian the crowds there were so huge we could hardly get through them. Then we walked on to the bandstand, where the brass band concert was in full swing. These have been a regular feature of summer Sundays ever since we moved here in 1964 and probably long before that. Lots of people were sitting on the grass, on the benches, or on folding chairs that they'd brought along. We stopped for a while and I stretched out on the grass, looked up at the sky and enjoyed the music. As we walked on we agreed that it's such an innocent, old-fashioned way for people to enjoy themselves - and very strange that it still exists. It felt like being in a time capsule.

So I thought I'd write this and tell you about my Sunday and about Greenwich Park, where the prime meridian divides east and west - and where time began.

wendyn on 8/05/01 at 14:01 (055550)

What a nice post Julie - thanks!!

Glenn X on 8/05/01 at 15:29 (055554)

Julie: Thanks for the moment. Feels good. It's a blue-sky breezy day in this part of the world, and especially nice to know so immediately, looking up into that sky, that someone you sorta know half-way 'round the world shared the same sight.

Julie on 8/05/01 at 16:09 (055561)

Thank you - and it's nice to know that you're still enjoying the day. Here it's night now, and bedtime, so - goodnight.

I've just remembered - I had a wonderful (ice-cold) swim somewhere along the north Oregon coast in August 1956. That was a nice day too!

john h on 8/05/01 at 19:00 (055568)

sounds like the place i want to be julie. it is 99 degrees here in Little Rock and Bill Clinton is town telling us all how his library will be for the 'world'!

Laurie R on 8/05/01 at 21:02 (055579)

Dear Julie , So kind of you to post your Sunday .... Wow what a day you had. What a day in the park can do for a person.. And the one you went to sounds so beautiful .Thanks for sharing you day with us.....

Laurie R

nancy s. on 8/05/01 at 23:08 (055592)

it's 12:06 a.m.
just didn't want this question to go unanswered.

JudyS on 8/05/01 at 23:55 (055594)

Finally....someone's listening to me! Thanks, Nancy. You're a dear! :)