Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pilates and yoga

Posted by Julie on 8/04/01 at 06:48 (055419)

There have been a few posts lately from runners and others who are looking for alternative forms of exercise. Recently I've become interested in Pilates, which seems to me to be a very sound form of bodywork. Its basic principle is the importance of creating a firm, stable, central core, and to that end it targets the muscles that support the pelvis and the lower back - primarily the deep abdominal muscles, (transverse and oblique) but also the pelvic floor and other muscles.

For me, it feels like a good companion to yoga, In some ways it is similar (its originator, Joseph Pilates, drew extensively on his own yoga experience). It's thorough and precise, and like yoga, emphasizes relaxation, correct breating, and the importance and involvement of the mind in all the work of the body.

As most of you know, although I teach yoga, I don't often suggest that people unfamiliar with it join a class, because so many classes emphasize standing poses. But Pilates is entirely (or mostly) non weight-bearing. No, it's not cardiovascular exercise (though it should improve breathing). But while one can't do the weight-bearing cardio exercise, it could be a useful avenue to explore.

I know some of you are using the simple yoga foot exercises I described a few weeks ago. I know many of you swim, and you might like to try doing them in the pool. The pool I go to has a sort of waterfall (overflow from the whirlpool). It's nice to stand under it and do all the joints exercises while my shoulders are being water-massaged.

Re: Pilates and yoga

john h on 8/04/01 at 09:00 (055427)

Pilates seems to be the rage around here. our health club recently started some classes. getting to like that cherry concentrarte especially when mixed with water. will replace my orange juice.

vicki A. on 8/05/01 at hrmin (055575)

I missed the post you made about the foot yoga exercises. Could you email me privately so i can get them. Thanks vicki a. vicatk@aol.com

Julie on 8/06/01 at 01:03 (055598)

Vicki

I described these simple exercises for the toes, feet and ankles in a post to Rudy on June 26. Use the search facility to locate it: type in 'Rudy' and tick 'Search messages'. Then scroll down to 6/26/01 and you'll find the instructions.

Julie

john h on 8/04/01 at 09:00 (055427)

Pilates seems to be the rage around here. our health club recently started some classes. getting to like that cherry concentrarte especially when mixed with water. will replace my orange juice.

vicki A. on 8/05/01 at hrmin (055575)

I missed the post you made about the foot yoga exercises. Could you email me privately so i can get them. Thanks vicki a. vicatk@aol.com

Julie on 8/06/01 at 01:03 (055598)

Vicki

I described these simple exercises for the toes, feet and ankles in a post to Rudy on June 26. Use the search facility to locate it: type in 'Rudy' and tick 'Search messages'. Then scroll down to 6/26/01 and you'll find the instructions.

Julie