Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone had hammertoe surgery recently?

Posted by Erica Ingram on 8/04/01 at hrmin (055494)

It's been 3 weeks since I've had hammertoe surgery. My doctor has been sending me to physical therapy to improve the range of motion in my ankle. The physical therapy is really improved my ROM alot. I am walking alot better in my orthopedic shoe, however I'm still have alot sorness in my toes, and I can move my toes a little, but its still very painful. My physical therapist has been using the contrast baths for my foot, 3 minutes in warm water & then 1 minute in cold water.

Is there anyone out there who has had hammetoe surgery recently, if so please , share you experience. I was told by my doctor before surgery that I could be expect to be out of work for 7-10 days. It's been 3 weeks and I have not returned to work yet. I have a f/u appointment on tuesday.

I am really becoming frustrated.

Erica

Re: Has anyone had hammertoe surgery recently?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/01 at 21:18 (055497)

Hi,

The shoe could be causing you alot of pain. It is very important not to place the foot in a closed shoe during the healing period.
Typical open hammer toe procedures will have sutures in for 10-14 days
The swelling and soreness can last one to three months.

Trying to get into shoes will only make the toes more sore and painful.

Physical is good but time is the real cure

linda on 8/05/01 at 10:24 (055531)

i had the surgery on july 2 on just one toe. ive been in the shoe since. the sutures came out two weeks later. i went back to work 2 weeks ago. i dont move very fast and have minimal pain. usually when ive been on my feet for a length of time. it helps tremendously to keep my foot elevated. the pin comes out on aug 10.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055646)

Time missed from work will depend on the type of work you do. A desk job will allow return to work much sooner than a factory job. The swelling from hammertoe surgery will keep you in a surgical shoe for 3 to 6 weeks.
Most people with desk jobs can go to work with surgical shoes--not so for industrial jobs.
Ed

tara c on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056018)

Yes, I am 3 weeks post op and doing great! I have had NO pain, slight discomfort after working long hours or being on me feet long periods of time. My incision is healing beautifully, and I have no pain in the toe, even with the pin in it. I'm sorry your experience has not been similar to mine. I did find that ice packs at 20 minute intervals was helpful and staying in the surgical shoe at often as possible. Good luck, I hope things improve for you.

tara c on 8/09/01 at 08:58 (056021)

Geez, I didnt miss a day of work. Had surgery on a Friday and was back to work the following Tuesday. I do have a desk job though. My foot was swollen by the end of the day, but ice packs helped and staying off my feet with them elevated once I got home in the evening really helped. Again, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some problems. My Dr. told me the healing time varies from person to person and that some people take months to heal. I've been very fortunate!

Re: Follow up doctor's appt / hammertoe surgery

Erica Ingram on 8/09/01 at 22:18 (056112)

Well, I had a follow up appt on Tuesday and my doctor released me back to work on Wednesday. So far, its been O.K. I work at an insurance company & most of my time is spent at my desk. I am happy to say that I don't have toe cramps anymore, but I still have some difficulty walking in the orthopedic shoe. I just feel so clumsy walking in the shoe.

Tara, I'd glad your experience was better than mine.

Erica

erica on 8/11/01 at 08:12 (056293)

I work in insurance as well...i did find the surgical shoe difficult to get used to, but have adjusted well. I find mine very comfortable, just not so attractive! Try wearing another shoe close in height of your surgical shoe so your limp won't be so noticable. Good luck!! tara

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/04/01 at 21:18 (055497)

Hi,

The shoe could be causing you alot of pain. It is very important not to place the foot in a closed shoe during the healing period.
Typical open hammer toe procedures will have sutures in for 10-14 days
The swelling and soreness can last one to three months.

Trying to get into shoes will only make the toes more sore and painful.

Physical is good but time is the real cure

linda on 8/05/01 at 10:24 (055531)

i had the surgery on july 2 on just one toe. ive been in the shoe since. the sutures came out two weeks later. i went back to work 2 weeks ago. i dont move very fast and have minimal pain. usually when ive been on my feet for a length of time. it helps tremendously to keep my foot elevated. the pin comes out on aug 10.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055646)

Time missed from work will depend on the type of work you do. A desk job will allow return to work much sooner than a factory job. The swelling from hammertoe surgery will keep you in a surgical shoe for 3 to 6 weeks.
Most people with desk jobs can go to work with surgical shoes--not so for industrial jobs.
Ed

tara c on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056018)

Yes, I am 3 weeks post op and doing great! I have had NO pain, slight discomfort after working long hours or being on me feet long periods of time. My incision is healing beautifully, and I have no pain in the toe, even with the pin in it. I'm sorry your experience has not been similar to mine. I did find that ice packs at 20 minute intervals was helpful and staying in the surgical shoe at often as possible. Good luck, I hope things improve for you.

tara c on 8/09/01 at 08:58 (056021)

Geez, I didnt miss a day of work. Had surgery on a Friday and was back to work the following Tuesday. I do have a desk job though. My foot was swollen by the end of the day, but ice packs helped and staying off my feet with them elevated once I got home in the evening really helped. Again, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some problems. My Dr. told me the healing time varies from person to person and that some people take months to heal. I've been very fortunate!

Erica Ingram on 8/09/01 at 22:18 (056112)

Well, I had a follow up appt on Tuesday and my doctor released me back to work on Wednesday. So far, its been O.K. I work at an insurance company & most of my time is spent at my desk. I am happy to say that I don't have toe cramps anymore, but I still have some difficulty walking in the orthopedic shoe. I just feel so clumsy walking in the shoe.

Tara, I'd glad your experience was better than mine.

Erica

erica on 8/11/01 at 08:12 (056293)

I work in insurance as well...i did find the surgical shoe difficult to get used to, but have adjusted well. I find mine very comfortable, just not so attractive! Try wearing another shoe close in height of your surgical shoe so your limp won't be so noticable. Good luck!! tara