Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Couldn't Stay Away!!

Posted by Mary S. on 8/04/01 at 23:39 (055505)

Well, it's me--still alive and missing the board buddies. I hope that this finds each of you doing well. I also hope you don't mind me sticking my stray nose back in to say hello and to give an update.
I have been back on my feet--even shoes on, and trying to get back to normal for 3-4 weeks now. Does normal ever come again?? Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful for every tiny bit of improvement, but it is so slow.
I now have limp from having the gastroc muscle clipped, and my back and shoulders are in really bad shape from all of the weeks on the walker. Experiencing alot of pain in back and upper arms.
The back of my heel is far less painful than it was before surgery,such a blessing, but still having a terrible time with swelling.
I go back to the classroom next Wed., and it really scares me when I think of being on my feet all those hours.
I have been trying so hard not to focus on my feet or the pain in my back--really pumping myself up for going back to work, but the closer it actually gets, I sometimes feel like I am going to fold. I want to be able to give 100% to my class. I can't deal with less than that, and they don't deserve any less.
I may have been away from the board, but my heelspur friends have been in my heart. The kindness and support that I found here when I needed it most was such a valuable part of my recovery, and I will be forever grateful. Some of the nicest people in the world can be found right here.
The doctors were so generous to share their knowledge and advice with me.
This board is a fine example of people who practice, 'It is better to give than to receive'. Thank you for all that you have given to me.
Will be popping in to say hello. Praying for healing for heelspur friends!!

Re: Couldn't Stay Away!!

Laurie R on 8/05/01 at 00:48 (055510)

Mary ,Mary , Mary , I was just thinking about you yesterday and I was wondering how you were doing. I was going to ask Tammie if she has heard from you ,but our friend Tammie has had a few rough days . I was very happy to see your post tonight . I do realize people do get better and move on. But to see your greatful post really made my day . I feel as you do about this board. We never stopped thinking about you . Please keep in touch and give us your updates..

I agree with you too ,it is better to give than to receive......

My very best to you Mary ..... And thank you again for checking in. I sure have missed you .

Laurie R

Julie on 8/05/01 at 03:12 (055520)

Thanks for looking in, Mary: it's good to hear from you.

Just a thought: I know classroom teaching means you have to be on your feet a lot of the time, but couldn't you try to sit down whenever you don't ABSOLUTELY have to stand? If you're at the blackboard, or walking around to talk to the children (I assume you teach children?) individually, you do have to be on your feet, but perhaps when you are talking to the whole class, you could sit down in a chair. And could you explain to the kids why you have to sit some of the time? You never know: it might be just the thing to get them on your side and inspire them to be more helpful.

Do you get breaks for coffee/lunch/free periods? Perhaps there's a corner of the staff room where you could lie down for a while. Even a few minutes of complete relaxation would refresh and revive you - mentally as well as physically - for the hours to come.

I don't know the situation, so perhaps all this is completely irrelevant. Hope not.

We look forward to your next 'visit'. Meanwhile, all the best for your return to school.

Julie

PS Make sure you wear your best, most supportive shoes. Don't forget taping, elastic ankle supports, and inserts if you wear them.

Re: Laurie & Julie

Mary S. on 8/05/01 at 16:12 (055562)

Good to hear from you both. I appreciate all of the kind words and advice about school.
I am going to try to sit when possible and my doctor is supposed to be sending restrictions to go in my file.
I'm just hoping that each day gets better. I know that the kids have a way of taking your mind off of anything that might be bothering you, so that will be good for me.
I hope that the two of you are doing well--making good progress.
I really enjoyed hearing from you!! Thank you and take care!
Hugs--Mary

Re: ~~~~~~~~GOOD LUCK MARY~~~~~~~~~~~

Necee on 8/05/01 at 22:24 (055588)

Hi Mary,
Just wanted you to know that I'll be praying for you as you return to the classrooom. I too return to work after being off for a month. I know its going to be hard but with all the support we get here how could we not make it!!!
Best of luck to you as you continue to recover!
Necee

Laurie R on 8/05/01 at 00:48 (055510)

Mary ,Mary , Mary , I was just thinking about you yesterday and I was wondering how you were doing. I was going to ask Tammie if she has heard from you ,but our friend Tammie has had a few rough days . I was very happy to see your post tonight . I do realize people do get better and move on. But to see your greatful post really made my day . I feel as you do about this board. We never stopped thinking about you . Please keep in touch and give us your updates..

I agree with you too ,it is better to give than to receive......

My very best to you Mary ..... And thank you again for checking in. I sure have missed you .

Laurie R

Julie on 8/05/01 at 03:12 (055520)

Thanks for looking in, Mary: it's good to hear from you.

Just a thought: I know classroom teaching means you have to be on your feet a lot of the time, but couldn't you try to sit down whenever you don't ABSOLUTELY have to stand? If you're at the blackboard, or walking around to talk to the children (I assume you teach children?) individually, you do have to be on your feet, but perhaps when you are talking to the whole class, you could sit down in a chair. And could you explain to the kids why you have to sit some of the time? You never know: it might be just the thing to get them on your side and inspire them to be more helpful.

Do you get breaks for coffee/lunch/free periods? Perhaps there's a corner of the staff room where you could lie down for a while. Even a few minutes of complete relaxation would refresh and revive you - mentally as well as physically - for the hours to come.

I don't know the situation, so perhaps all this is completely irrelevant. Hope not.

We look forward to your next 'visit'. Meanwhile, all the best for your return to school.

Julie

PS Make sure you wear your best, most supportive shoes. Don't forget taping, elastic ankle supports, and inserts if you wear them.

Re: Laurie & Julie

Mary S. on 8/05/01 at 16:12 (055562)

Good to hear from you both. I appreciate all of the kind words and advice about school.
I am going to try to sit when possible and my doctor is supposed to be sending restrictions to go in my file.
I'm just hoping that each day gets better. I know that the kids have a way of taking your mind off of anything that might be bothering you, so that will be good for me.
I hope that the two of you are doing well--making good progress.
I really enjoyed hearing from you!! Thank you and take care!
Hugs--Mary

Re: ~~~~~~~~GOOD LUCK MARY~~~~~~~~~~~

Necee on 8/05/01 at 22:24 (055588)

Hi Mary,
Just wanted you to know that I'll be praying for you as you return to the classrooom. I too return to work after being off for a month. I know its going to be hard but with all the support we get here how could we not make it!!!
Best of luck to you as you continue to recover!
Necee