Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FOOT FLEX

Posted by DEB B. on 8/05/01 at hrmin (055543)

I just received my FootFlex exerciser and couldn't wait to start using it. Directions very carefully instruct a slow start at a low level of intensity. But when I put my foot on the contraption, where it hurts is in the front of the ankle, not any muscles or tendons in the calves. It hurts more on the right ankle. If the ankle was a clock, the pain is most intense at 11 and 1 or 2.

I want to make sure I'm not causing further damage. My plantar's fasciitis is already klling me.

thanks for a quick response.

Re: FOOT FLEX

Julie on 8/05/01 at 15:40 (055558)

Deb, I haven't used the FootFlex, but have just looked at the picture. It looks as though the angle is adjustable Have you got it on the lowest setting, i.e. the most open angle? It sounds from your description as though your calf muscles and Achilles tendon are tight (very often a factor in PF) and are not allowing for a good angle of dorsiflexion. This could cause pain at the front of the ankle. It may also indicate that the stretch is too strong for those tight muscles and tendons.

But it could also be that the strong contraction of the muscles at the front is the cause of your discomfort.

If you're hurting, and if you can't adjust the angle to give you a less strong stretch, it would probably be best to back off and stick to gentler stretching.

But I'm guessing. Perhaps someone who knows the device can give you a more informed response.

Re: FOOT FLEX

Julie on 8/05/01 at 15:40 (055558)

Deb, I haven't used the FootFlex, but have just looked at the picture. It looks as though the angle is adjustable Have you got it on the lowest setting, i.e. the most open angle? It sounds from your description as though your calf muscles and Achilles tendon are tight (very often a factor in PF) and are not allowing for a good angle of dorsiflexion. This could cause pain at the front of the ankle. It may also indicate that the stretch is too strong for those tight muscles and tendons.

But it could also be that the strong contraction of the muscles at the front is the cause of your discomfort.

If you're hurting, and if you can't adjust the angle to give you a less strong stretch, it would probably be best to back off and stick to gentler stretching.

But I'm guessing. Perhaps someone who knows the device can give you a more informed response.