Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

serious question for a doctor

Posted by PamM on 8/05/01 at hrmin (055556)

I fully understand that most doctors would not want to answer this question, however I'm asking anyway.

I had surgery on Feb 9, 2001 for PF and a bone spur on my big toe.
Both surgeries at once.

Hindsite being 20/20 I have now started to research what was done to me.

Everything I have read indicates for the PF surgery to be most effective, I should have been back into a shoe or cast with good arch support within 2 weeks of surgery. Quite the opposite occured. With the toe surgery, I was unable to wear shoes for almost 6 weeks. The toe was extremely slow to heal, keeping me out of work for much longer then the doctor made mention of.

My question is this.......

How long is the typical recovery time for removal of a bone spur from the big toe? The nail was removed, and to my complete suprise, the doctor also removed a good portion of BONE. Not just a spur. I was unable to put any weight onto that foot for almost a month.

Did having both surgeries at the same time reduce the effectiveness of the primary surgery..that being the PF problem? Had I not had that toe operated on at the same time.. .would I have my life back??

This has cost me my job, my medical insurance and as I knew it.. my life.

What would a GOOD doctor tell a patient about having these surgeries done??
Would a decent doctor even consider doing both surgeries at once??

Re: serious question for a doctor

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/01 at 16:35 (055564)

Ok,

If you had the miminial incision foot surgery done for the bone spur on your toe then this is usually a quick recovery no severe type of surgical recovery. I still tell patients that it will be sore and you won't get into a close shoe somtimes up to eight week.

Now for the pf surgery .Well this is a surgical procedure that will take up to six months or more to heal and in some cases can make the foot worse off. Rare but true I would consider both surgical procedures at once if the patient has severe pain in both areas. If I was unsure about how the patient pain level would react you can alway do the heel and then the toe at a later date. Very common to remove more then just the toe spur . You are going to find alot of diffence among doctors as to should you have a cast, when do you start to put weight on the foot etc etc.

So where are you now in your recovery. ?

PamM on 8/06/01 at 00:49 (055596)

I am now worse off than before the surgery.

6 months later, I am completely unable to return to work (8 hours on my feet in a busy deli). My toe 'clicks' when I move it, still do not have complete movement with it. After a couple of hours on my feet I experience what I can best describe as charley horses in my foot. Stabbing pain during the evening when I'm sitting.

The only pain I had complaint of was in my heel. The doctor pointed out the spur on my toe and suggested I have it removed while I was in for surgery anyway.

As far as 'minimal incision' surgery, I don't know how this would be defined, however if it tells you anything... I had around 11 stitches in that toe. It looked like it had gone thru a blender.

The heel surgery, 2 stitches on the inside upper heel, and 1 stitch on the outer side of my heel.

I was yelled at when I went in for my 1 week checkup following surgery for being on crutches, so I'm assuming I should have disreguarded the only written instructions I had been given telling me to not put weight on that foot until so instructed.

I guess I'm at a point in my recovery where I'm examining my life and trying to figure out how to put it back together now.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/01 at 14:48 (055656)

You need to find and get under the care of a doctor that is going to help you thru this terrible ordeal. Where do you live.

PamM on 8/06/01 at 16:37 (055680)

I live on the east coast of Florida, Brevard County.

Current doctor I'm seeing is 90 minutes away in Orlando. Saw him today and had a cast put on my foot.

Current treatment is.... cast for 3 weeks, followed by cast off, whirlpool then cast back on for another 3 weeks, repeat one more time and mayyybe she'll be able to walk again.

Why did it take 6 months to get to this point???????

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/07/01 at 08:26 (055743)

There is a podiatry school in Dade County. Give them a call. They havd a staff of very well qualified podiatric surgeons and physicians

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/01 at 16:35 (055564)

Ok,

If you had the miminial incision foot surgery done for the bone spur on your toe then this is usually a quick recovery no severe type of surgical recovery. I still tell patients that it will be sore and you won't get into a close shoe somtimes up to eight week.

Now for the pf surgery .Well this is a surgical procedure that will take up to six months or more to heal and in some cases can make the foot worse off. Rare but true I would consider both surgical procedures at once if the patient has severe pain in both areas. If I was unsure about how the patient pain level would react you can alway do the heel and then the toe at a later date. Very common to remove more then just the toe spur . You are going to find alot of diffence among doctors as to should you have a cast, when do you start to put weight on the foot etc etc.

So where are you now in your recovery. ?

PamM on 8/06/01 at 00:49 (055596)

I am now worse off than before the surgery.

6 months later, I am completely unable to return to work (8 hours on my feet in a busy deli). My toe 'clicks' when I move it, still do not have complete movement with it. After a couple of hours on my feet I experience what I can best describe as charley horses in my foot. Stabbing pain during the evening when I'm sitting.

The only pain I had complaint of was in my heel. The doctor pointed out the spur on my toe and suggested I have it removed while I was in for surgery anyway.

As far as 'minimal incision' surgery, I don't know how this would be defined, however if it tells you anything... I had around 11 stitches in that toe. It looked like it had gone thru a blender.

The heel surgery, 2 stitches on the inside upper heel, and 1 stitch on the outer side of my heel.

I was yelled at when I went in for my 1 week checkup following surgery for being on crutches, so I'm assuming I should have disreguarded the only written instructions I had been given telling me to not put weight on that foot until so instructed.

I guess I'm at a point in my recovery where I'm examining my life and trying to figure out how to put it back together now.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/01 at 14:48 (055656)

You need to find and get under the care of a doctor that is going to help you thru this terrible ordeal. Where do you live.

PamM on 8/06/01 at 16:37 (055680)

I live on the east coast of Florida, Brevard County.

Current doctor I'm seeing is 90 minutes away in Orlando. Saw him today and had a cast put on my foot.

Current treatment is.... cast for 3 weeks, followed by cast off, whirlpool then cast back on for another 3 weeks, repeat one more time and mayyybe she'll be able to walk again.

Why did it take 6 months to get to this point???????

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/07/01 at 08:26 (055743)

There is a podiatry school in Dade County. Give them a call. They havd a staff of very well qualified podiatric surgeons and physicians