Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Would cast help????

Posted by Tracey A on 8/05/01 at 19:32 (055570)

Dear Doctors,
I've had unsuccessful surgery (2) and have not healed. When I walk my foot hurts and burns. My family wants me to come home for alittle while but just the thought of walking in the airport and every where else it makes me just want to cry. My question would it help to have my family doctor put on a walking cast? I will not go back to the 2 doctors who messed up my foot. Can my family doctor to it?

Tracey

Re: Would cast help????

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/01 at 19:53 (055571)

Hi,

You need to have someone who knows how to cast the foot and ankle. In general that wouldn't be your family doctor. It looks easy , sounds easy but can cause alot of harm if done correctly. Sorry just don't want any more grief for you.. I just saw Scott new product for getting the weight off your foot. Take a look at this. This may help you without a closed cast on your foot and ankle

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055661)

You did not provide any details about the surgery so it is hard to say if a cast would help. It is not a long term solution but it can rest the area temporarily. There are 'removable' casts that your family doctor could consider. Eventually, you need to get to someone who can help you. We can try to provide you with some suggestions if we know where you live.
Ed

Tracey A on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055815)

Dr. Davis,
Had two surgeries(7/8/00 and9/12/00) 2 different doctors.
Had open heel planter-fascia. First doctor cut the nerves in the heel and 2nd doctor extended the incision under the arch and cut blood vessels. I was told from 3rd doctor it was permanent. My foot hurts and I need relief.I am traveling to California and was hoping cast may help for awhile.
I live in Oklahoma City and don't trust many doctors here. Do you think that my family doctor would be able to put a walking cast on me?

Sincerely,
Tracey A.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055840)

A safer bet would be a removable cast walker -- looks like a short leg cast but is removable and its effect is not dependent on the individual applying it.

It is a bit too involved a situation to try to figure out what to do for long term relief without a thorough exam and study of your records. I can try to find some names of qualified docs if I know the area you live.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/01 at 19:53 (055571)

Hi,

You need to have someone who knows how to cast the foot and ankle. In general that wouldn't be your family doctor. It looks easy , sounds easy but can cause alot of harm if done correctly. Sorry just don't want any more grief for you.. I just saw Scott new product for getting the weight off your foot. Take a look at this. This may help you without a closed cast on your foot and ankle

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055661)

You did not provide any details about the surgery so it is hard to say if a cast would help. It is not a long term solution but it can rest the area temporarily. There are 'removable' casts that your family doctor could consider. Eventually, you need to get to someone who can help you. We can try to provide you with some suggestions if we know where you live.
Ed

Tracey A on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055815)

Dr. Davis,
Had two surgeries(7/8/00 and9/12/00) 2 different doctors.
Had open heel planter-fascia. First doctor cut the nerves in the heel and 2nd doctor extended the incision under the arch and cut blood vessels. I was told from 3rd doctor it was permanent. My foot hurts and I need relief.I am traveling to California and was hoping cast may help for awhile.
I live in Oklahoma City and don't trust many doctors here. Do you think that my family doctor would be able to put a walking cast on me?

Sincerely,
Tracey A.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055840)

A safer bet would be a removable cast walker -- looks like a short leg cast but is removable and its effect is not dependent on the individual applying it.

It is a bit too involved a situation to try to figure out what to do for long term relief without a thorough exam and study of your records. I can try to find some names of qualified docs if I know the area you live.
Ed