Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

calcified achilles.

Posted by Jane s on 8/05/01 at hrmin (055573)

Have had 2 ESWT treatments 50% better after 1st. 2nd one 3 mo later.No relief. Worse everyday. Very little flextion left in heel. All of this is making my knee that has arthritis worse.Vioxx no longer seems to help. My pain is severe and constant.Any suggestions? I am at my wits end.I am hardly mobile at this point. See orthopaedic on Tues for knee pain.

Re: calcified achilles.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/01 at 21:36 (055584)

The role of your knee needs to be evaluated. Physical therapy can help to get this range of motion back . If you have severe degenerative joint disease in your ankle joint this could the problem.

jane s on 8/05/01 at 22:59 (055590)

The knee needs replacement. That is the diagnois.The heel area has a second heel in appearence. Will have x-rayed again. The calcaneous, area is the more painful. At this point I would be in great pain even with a knee replacement. Is there a chance that ESWT would help me? I feel i need to be in less heel pain first.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055660)

A note about knee replacement surgery. Knee replacement, by addition of the prosthesis can effectively lengthen the affected leg thus tightening the achilles. Sounds like you do not want your achilles any tighter than it is--probably looser. This can be modified by the amount of bone removed by the orthopod or by lengthening the achilles.
Ed

Jane S on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055688)

Thanks for your respomse. I have an appt. tomorrow with orthopaedic.I will be sure to ask. Maybe it is not the heel that needs to be addressed 1st. Do I understand you correctly that the achilles problem may be helped by the knee surgery? My Dr is in the Sports Med dept of a large practice. The heel is handled by another. i didn't want surgery . Found alternative ESWT thru research. The knee replacement is by still another in the practice. All i know is I remain in a great deal of pain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055701)

If the knee surgery results in tension taken off the achilles, it could help; if it results in additional tension placed on the achilles, it could hurt---depends whether the prosthesis adds more length to your leg or not and how that is compensated for.
Ed

Jane s on 8/06/01 at 22:30 (055717)

Thanks Ed. I will Ask plenty of Questions tomorrow.Ordered nice /ice boot . Mine is so rigid . It hurts the bump on the back of heel.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at 19:45 (055839)

Are you referring to the N'Ice and Stretch boot? If so--you will appreciate how soft and comfortable it is compared to competing products.
Ed

jane s on 8/07/01 at 20:53 (055851)

YES it is the boot that is on heelspurs.com. Scott was kind enough to overnite it. Should be here am.Gave up on hard one. Too painful on the bump on back of heel. Have less than 90 degress of flexion. Today I noticed my 1st toe very painful ,like a ligament is pulled. Calf muscle sore. ALSO hamstring pulling.So distressing.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/01 at 21:36 (055584)

The role of your knee needs to be evaluated. Physical therapy can help to get this range of motion back . If you have severe degenerative joint disease in your ankle joint this could the problem.

jane s on 8/05/01 at 22:59 (055590)

The knee needs replacement. That is the diagnois.The heel area has a second heel in appearence. Will have x-rayed again. The calcaneous, area is the more painful. At this point I would be in great pain even with a knee replacement. Is there a chance that ESWT would help me? I feel i need to be in less heel pain first.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055660)

A note about knee replacement surgery. Knee replacement, by addition of the prosthesis can effectively lengthen the affected leg thus tightening the achilles. Sounds like you do not want your achilles any tighter than it is--probably looser. This can be modified by the amount of bone removed by the orthopod or by lengthening the achilles.
Ed

Jane S on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055688)

Thanks for your respomse. I have an appt. tomorrow with orthopaedic.I will be sure to ask. Maybe it is not the heel that needs to be addressed 1st. Do I understand you correctly that the achilles problem may be helped by the knee surgery? My Dr is in the Sports Med dept of a large practice. The heel is handled by another. i didn't want surgery . Found alternative ESWT thru research. The knee replacement is by still another in the practice. All i know is I remain in a great deal of pain.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055701)

If the knee surgery results in tension taken off the achilles, it could help; if it results in additional tension placed on the achilles, it could hurt---depends whether the prosthesis adds more length to your leg or not and how that is compensated for.
Ed

Jane s on 8/06/01 at 22:30 (055717)

Thanks Ed. I will Ask plenty of Questions tomorrow.Ordered nice /ice boot . Mine is so rigid . It hurts the bump on the back of heel.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at 19:45 (055839)

Are you referring to the N'Ice and Stretch boot? If so--you will appreciate how soft and comfortable it is compared to competing products.
Ed

jane s on 8/07/01 at 20:53 (055851)

YES it is the boot that is on heelspurs.com. Scott was kind enough to overnite it. Should be here am.Gave up on hard one. Too painful on the bump on back of heel. Have less than 90 degress of flexion. Today I noticed my 1st toe very painful ,like a ligament is pulled. Calf muscle sore. ALSO hamstring pulling.So distressing.