Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 weeks post-op - is pain normal???

Posted by Kathy M on 8/05/01 at hrmin (055576)

Hi! I have been suffering with PF for the past 6 years and finally decided enough was enough - cortisone shots wore off, and the pain returned. So, I had surgery on June 29th, and this is my 5th week post-op. I still have lots of pain when I stand up from a sitting position, when I get up in the morning, and when I walk. Is this normal? My orthopedic surgeon has totally discharged me once my incision healed up, so I cannot ask him any more questions since I don't have any more appointments. Can anyone out there help me? The worst is the walk to the bathroom in the morning - it is excruciating!! And I am planning to try to get pregnant again in the next few months, and am afraid to because of the walking pain - I can only imagine what extra pregnancy weight will do to me. Basically, I am wondering if people can write in and let me know about at what point you could get up from sitting or laying and walk with no pain those first 10 steps....was it a month post-op, 3 months, 6 months, etc? And does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do to relieve the pain and heal quicker?? Thanks so much!! I appreciate any input I can get from all of you!! ~Kathy :-)

Re: 5 weeks post-op - is pain normal???

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/01 at 21:34 (055583)

There are so many things that need to be done. Physical Therapy, taping, stretching. Possible boot cast. You need to be under the care of a physician that knows pf surgery post-op care. Discharging you is not the way to handle your pain. There is healing and care that needs to be taken care of for the next three to six months.

Re: This is good

Glenn X on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055631)

Dr. Zuckerman: I see it here regularly, but in this circumstance was particularly struck by the poignancy of Kathy M's question, and the pointedness of your prompt response. Being listened to and advised so quickly (30-minutes) and capably, has to help, even though Kathy may have a physician search ahead of her.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055636)

Kathy:
Doctors have both a moral and legal obligation to provide you with care after the surgery. I agree with Dr. Z that there is a lot more that needs to be done. Generally, the global period (period in which post-op visits incur no charge) for the type of surgery you had is 90 days-- you are owed that at a minimum by the surgeon.
Ed

Michael on 8/09/01 at 01:17 (055999)

live with a little pain, come on people. Lots of us live in constant pain and have accepted that as part of life. Complaining will not help.

Re: Re:Michael

Tammie on 8/09/01 at 10:06 (056027)

I am so sorry you live your life in pain, but does it give you a right to tell others that they can not express there pain . Here is a safe area we do not judge people we only offer support to whatever they might need, along with friendship and maybe alternitive methods to try to help conditions. But we never ever think such mean thoughts of our friends and we always have room for another if you would like to er try and start again with maybe a less judgemental way,there are many kind and helpful people here and even some generous Dr.s who give of there precious time. Please dont try to hurt people as a person who must be in great pain should know it is very hard to just live with pain. Please try again and this time leave out the cruel words that u have offered . I hope that u find a better way to deal with your obvious pain!

Re: Michael and Darryl are the same Jerk and s/he's blocked

Scott R on 8/09/01 at 17:04 (056080)

Scott R on 8/09/01 at 17:08 (056082)

Michael and Darryl are the same Jerk and he's blocked.

john h on 8/09/01 at 17:50 (056089)

you are da man scott! i like your blocks!

Julie on 8/10/01 at 01:34 (056127)

Me too, Scott! I was sure they were the same jerk.

Everyone: in future when this happens (as it does on all open forums) try to remember that however angry/hurt/irritated/you are, the best thing is to IGNORE it. These people simply want attention: don't give it to them. They are just waiting for reactions - and when they get a reaction they probably laugh their heads off. If they don't get a response, they go away and bother someone else.

john h on 8/12/01 at 11:48 (056441)

on my 3 visits to dr zuckerman we spent much more than an hour on each visit discussing everything you ever wanted to know about your problem and treatment. i went into one of his procedure rooms and chatted with one of his patients who had surgery. i met his father. more like visiting an old friend than going to the doctor. my kind of doctor- my kind of friend.

john h on 8/12/01 at 11:50 (056443)

a lot of us are living with a little or much pain but will not settle for 'living with it'.

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/05/01 at 21:34 (055583)

There are so many things that need to be done. Physical Therapy, taping, stretching. Possible boot cast. You need to be under the care of a physician that knows pf surgery post-op care. Discharging you is not the way to handle your pain. There is healing and care that needs to be taken care of for the next three to six months.

Glenn X on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055631)

Dr. Zuckerman: I see it here regularly, but in this circumstance was particularly struck by the poignancy of Kathy M's question, and the pointedness of your prompt response. Being listened to and advised so quickly (30-minutes) and capably, has to help, even though Kathy may have a physician search ahead of her.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055636)

Kathy:
Doctors have both a moral and legal obligation to provide you with care after the surgery. I agree with Dr. Z that there is a lot more that needs to be done. Generally, the global period (period in which post-op visits incur no charge) for the type of surgery you had is 90 days-- you are owed that at a minimum by the surgeon.
Ed

Michael on 8/09/01 at 01:17 (055999)

live with a little pain, come on people. Lots of us live in constant pain and have accepted that as part of life. Complaining will not help.

Re: Re:Michael

Tammie on 8/09/01 at 10:06 (056027)

I am so sorry you live your life in pain, but does it give you a right to tell others that they can not express there pain . Here is a safe area we do not judge people we only offer support to whatever they might need, along with friendship and maybe alternitive methods to try to help conditions. But we never ever think such mean thoughts of our friends and we always have room for another if you would like to er try and start again with maybe a less judgemental way,there are many kind and helpful people here and even some generous Dr.s who give of there precious time. Please dont try to hurt people as a person who must be in great pain should know it is very hard to just live with pain. Please try again and this time leave out the cruel words that u have offered . I hope that u find a better way to deal with your obvious pain!

Scott R on 8/09/01 at 17:04 (056080)

Scott R on 8/09/01 at 17:08 (056082)

Michael and Darryl are the same Jerk and he's blocked.

john h on 8/09/01 at 17:50 (056089)

you are da man scott! i like your blocks!

Julie on 8/10/01 at 01:34 (056127)

Me too, Scott! I was sure they were the same jerk.

Everyone: in future when this happens (as it does on all open forums) try to remember that however angry/hurt/irritated/you are, the best thing is to IGNORE it. These people simply want attention: don't give it to them. They are just waiting for reactions - and when they get a reaction they probably laugh their heads off. If they don't get a response, they go away and bother someone else.

john h on 8/12/01 at 11:48 (056441)

on my 3 visits to dr zuckerman we spent much more than an hour on each visit discussing everything you ever wanted to know about your problem and treatment. i went into one of his procedure rooms and chatted with one of his patients who had surgery. i met his father. more like visiting an old friend than going to the doctor. my kind of doctor- my kind of friend.

john h on 8/12/01 at 11:50 (056443)

a lot of us are living with a little or much pain but will not settle for 'living with it'.