Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Doc says there's "nothing he can do"

Posted by Joopie on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055597)

I had pf release surgery on both feet 1.5 years ago. Have always had some lingering pain in the left foot - on outer left side of left foot. Tried casting and splinting - I got blood clots in that leg so had to stop the casting and take Cumadin. Off Cumadin now, after 6 months. Anyway, I wander here...

I have bad pain on the left (outer) upper side of my foot when I sit and then get up and step on it, or putting on shoes, or getting out of the car, etc. After many painful steps, it eases up some. It is located about half way between the baby toe and the ankle. It hurts like crazy. It's like one of the little bones or something. But other times it doen't really bother me unless I flex my foot in and under.

My doc took a hold of my foot, pressed the spot firmly and flexed it a little and I almost came off the back of the chair. It hurt like the Dickens for hours afterwards. He said there is a joint there (starts with a C - cuboid or something?) that is stressed. He Xrayed but saw nothing (not convinced they were the best xrays as the guy was rushing through the process).

Any ideas - on what it might be and what I might try? I feel a little like my doc has given up. He's one of the heads of the dept. so it is virtually impossible to see another doctor there (HMO) without his input.

Long winded.... sorry. Thanks for your help. -Joopie

Re: Doc says there's "nothing he can do"

wendyn on 8/06/01 at 10:55 (055632)

Joopie!!! Have long wondered whatever became of you!!! Thanks for stopping in, I'm sorry to hear that it's not with news of a recovery.

Hopefully you'll find some answers here...

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/01 at 14:45 (055653)

This is what is called calcaneal-cuboid syndrome due to the inside band of the plantar fascia being cut and all the weight placed on this joint. Treatment is local steriod injection, orthosis , casting and in some cases fusion of that joint.

The degree of pain and lack of response to the above treatment could lead to a fusion of this joint.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055658)

I agree with Dr. Z -- sounds like cuboid syndrome.
Complain loudly to your HMO-- VERY LOUDLY , until they will let you see someone who is familiar with and can fix the problem. The good news is that a lot of cases of cuboid syndrome can be helped very quickly.
Ed

wendyn on 8/06/01 at 10:55 (055632)

Joopie!!! Have long wondered whatever became of you!!! Thanks for stopping in, I'm sorry to hear that it's not with news of a recovery.

Hopefully you'll find some answers here...

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/06/01 at 14:45 (055653)

This is what is called calcaneal-cuboid syndrome due to the inside band of the plantar fascia being cut and all the weight placed on this joint. Treatment is local steriod injection, orthosis , casting and in some cases fusion of that joint.

The degree of pain and lack of response to the above treatment could lead to a fusion of this joint.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055658)

I agree with Dr. Z -- sounds like cuboid syndrome.
Complain loudly to your HMO-- VERY LOUDLY , until they will let you see someone who is familiar with and can fix the problem. The good news is that a lot of cases of cuboid syndrome can be helped very quickly.
Ed