Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nothing is Helping my Heel Pain

Posted by Anne D. on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055683)

Dear Doctor,

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with chronic sesamoiditis in my left foot. I got a pair of Alznner orthotics (Sept. 1999) and the metatarsal lift in them relieved the pain in the ball of that foot completely, so I kept on wearing them.

For a year I had no problems. Then, about nine months ago, I started having terrible heel pain in the other (right) foot. I went to see an orthopedic doctor. He took an x-ray and found some calcificationon the bottom of my right heel. He diagnosed the problem as plantar fasciitis and gave me a cortisone shot. It didn't help. That was in January 2001.

The pain got worse, so several weeks ago I started seeing a chiropractor, who manipulated my spine and neck and applied TENS therapy to my heel. It didn't help.

Recently, I was referred to another chiropractor who says it's not plantar fasciits, but rather a heel bruise that I keep re-bruising, since I'm not walking correctly on it. He said I'm over-pronating. He manipulated my foot and deep-massaged the plantar fascia to rid it of 'uric acid crystals.' He also gave me some new, more rigid orthotics from his office, which a higher longitudinal arch and more of a cupped heel, so my heel doesn't roll as much. It hasn't helped.

I don't know what I have, but I know one thing for sure, my right heel hurts like ****!!!

Can you please offer any suggestions?

Thank you very much,

A.G. Davis
Irvine, CA 92614
949-322-1967

Re: Nothing is Helping my Heel Pain

Maureen S on 8/06/01 at 17:21 (055685)

Hello Anne,
WellI think you need to see a Podiatrist for an evaluation. People need to see someone who is specialized to diagnose and treat the specific problem. My Podiatrist has an office in Irvine also His name is Dr Michael Marcus and he also has a website you can visit at mjmarcusdpm.com.
I really like him and he has helped me a great deal. I hope that you can find someone to assist you in finding the cause of you pain and give you better relief. Lots of luck and let me know, Maureen

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055698)

Anne:

Maureen has offered excellent advice. You may feel like you have had a number of treatments for plantar fasciitis but it sounds like you have had very little done so far.

Massage cannot rid your plantar fascia of uric acid crystals. Anyone who is telling you that, I think, is pulling your leg. Uric acid is in solution form (dissolved in your blood). Occasionally, it can form crystals in certain joints causing acute inflammation and that is called gout.

I am not personally familiar with the podiatrist recommneded by Maureen but he should be well qualified to get you on track to recovery.
Ed

Anne D. on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055775)

Thank you, Maureen. I will look at Dr. Marcus' site and if he is in my insurance plan, will make an appointment. Otherwise, I will definitely check out a DPM. Thanks.

Anne D. on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055776)

>>Massage cannot rid your plantar fascia of uric acid crystals. Anyone who is telling you that, I think, is pulling your leg. Uric acid is in solution form (dissolved in your blood). Occasionally, it can form crystals in certain joints causing acute inflammation and that is called gout.<<

Great. So much for chiropractic! I can believe it. I will take the advice and see a DPM. Thank you, doctor.

Anne

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055836)

Anne:

I certainly would recommend a podiatrist. I understand your frustration with your chiropractors. I think there are many good chiropractors out there but every profession seems to have some individuals that make their colleagues less than proud. A good doctor in any profession or specialty needs to be placing the benefit of the patient first and seeking out those who are most qualified to treat a particular condition.
Ed

Anne D. on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055945)

Maureen and Dr. Davis,

I just saw Dr. Marcus this morning in Irvine. He seems to be very knowledgeable and gave me a cortisone injection directly into the PF. I was very scared of the pain of the injection because the last guy who did that took a long time and the pain was horrible. But Dr. Marcus was so quick, in a second it was over and I coudn't believe it! He also gave me a night splint and icing and stretching instructions. I will follow his orders to the letter. Hopefully it will help. Thanks again for the referral.

Anne Davis

Maureen S on 8/08/01 at 22:19 (055992)

Hello
I am so glad that you saw a Dr. I hope thing go well but its important not to get frustrated if things are slow, then again things can wrok out great right from the start but don's give up and please follow all the instrustions that the DR gave to you. I see Dr. Marcus on Friday for my 4 week post-op visit and hopefully to get the cast off. I am a little nervous about starting to walk on this foot after the surg. I let you know how it goes. Oh by the wy when do you go back to se him? Well again good luck and let me know how thing are
Maureen

Anne D. on 8/10/01 at 15:01 (056207)

Maureen,

I go back to Dr. Marcus on Wed. Aug. 15 at 9:45am. I have worn the night splint for 2 nights now and the first steps in the morning are somewhat less painful. Looks like this may indeed take some time. I'm doing the icing, stretches, etc. so will see what happens. Did you have the EPF procedure?

Anne

Maureen S on 8/13/01 at 14:54 (056594)

Hello Anne,

I had surg for Tarsal Tunnell Syndrome and lantar Fasciitis. I have had a long history of foot trouble and have tried many things. But I am doing great after the surg. I think this is do to the problems that I had are now fixed. Iknow that its going to take time to recover fully but I am optomistic that wnen I resume some of my regular activities that most of my pain will be gone, time will tell!! If you want te send me e-mail to my personal address is is mosalazar@aol.com . Sorry for the delay in returning this message but I had to go out of town for 4 days. Best wishes and hope thing go well, and keep in touch

Maureen

Maureen S on 8/06/01 at 17:21 (055685)

Hello Anne,
WellI think you need to see a Podiatrist for an evaluation. People need to see someone who is specialized to diagnose and treat the specific problem. My Podiatrist has an office in Irvine also His name is Dr Michael Marcus and he also has a website you can visit at mjmarcusdpm.com.
I really like him and he has helped me a great deal. I hope that you can find someone to assist you in finding the cause of you pain and give you better relief. Lots of luck and let me know, Maureen

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055698)

Anne:

Maureen has offered excellent advice. You may feel like you have had a number of treatments for plantar fasciitis but it sounds like you have had very little done so far.

Massage cannot rid your plantar fascia of uric acid crystals. Anyone who is telling you that, I think, is pulling your leg. Uric acid is in solution form (dissolved in your blood). Occasionally, it can form crystals in certain joints causing acute inflammation and that is called gout.

I am not personally familiar with the podiatrist recommneded by Maureen but he should be well qualified to get you on track to recovery.
Ed

Anne D. on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055775)

Thank you, Maureen. I will look at Dr. Marcus' site and if he is in my insurance plan, will make an appointment. Otherwise, I will definitely check out a DPM. Thanks.

Anne D. on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055776)

>>Massage cannot rid your plantar fascia of uric acid crystals. Anyone who is telling you that, I think, is pulling your leg. Uric acid is in solution form (dissolved in your blood). Occasionally, it can form crystals in certain joints causing acute inflammation and that is called gout.<<

Great. So much for chiropractic! I can believe it. I will take the advice and see a DPM. Thank you, doctor.

Anne

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055836)

Anne:

I certainly would recommend a podiatrist. I understand your frustration with your chiropractors. I think there are many good chiropractors out there but every profession seems to have some individuals that make their colleagues less than proud. A good doctor in any profession or specialty needs to be placing the benefit of the patient first and seeking out those who are most qualified to treat a particular condition.
Ed

Anne D. on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055945)

Maureen and Dr. Davis,

I just saw Dr. Marcus this morning in Irvine. He seems to be very knowledgeable and gave me a cortisone injection directly into the PF. I was very scared of the pain of the injection because the last guy who did that took a long time and the pain was horrible. But Dr. Marcus was so quick, in a second it was over and I coudn't believe it! He also gave me a night splint and icing and stretching instructions. I will follow his orders to the letter. Hopefully it will help. Thanks again for the referral.

Anne Davis

Maureen S on 8/08/01 at 22:19 (055992)

Hello
I am so glad that you saw a Dr. I hope thing go well but its important not to get frustrated if things are slow, then again things can wrok out great right from the start but don's give up and please follow all the instrustions that the DR gave to you. I see Dr. Marcus on Friday for my 4 week post-op visit and hopefully to get the cast off. I am a little nervous about starting to walk on this foot after the surg. I let you know how it goes. Oh by the wy when do you go back to se him? Well again good luck and let me know how thing are
Maureen

Anne D. on 8/10/01 at 15:01 (056207)

Maureen,

I go back to Dr. Marcus on Wed. Aug. 15 at 9:45am. I have worn the night splint for 2 nights now and the first steps in the morning are somewhat less painful. Looks like this may indeed take some time. I'm doing the icing, stretches, etc. so will see what happens. Did you have the EPF procedure?

Anne

Maureen S on 8/13/01 at 14:54 (056594)

Hello Anne,

I had surg for Tarsal Tunnell Syndrome and lantar Fasciitis. I have had a long history of foot trouble and have tried many things. But I am doing great after the surg. I think this is do to the problems that I had are now fixed. Iknow that its going to take time to recover fully but I am optomistic that wnen I resume some of my regular activities that most of my pain will be gone, time will tell!! If you want te send me e-mail to my personal address is is mosalazar@aol.com . Sorry for the delay in returning this message but I had to go out of town for 4 days. Best wishes and hope thing go well, and keep in touch

Maureen