Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Triple arthrodesis

Posted by peachland on 8/06/01 at 19:26 (055699)

Eight weeks after surgery I still have a wound on the inside of my foot that has not healed, burning in my toes, the sole of my foot is numb,swelling, engorging (my toes and back of my leg go purple)when I am vertical and pain in my heel when I wear a caste from a steel pin on the surface of my heel. My doctor was supposed to remove the steel pin last week, but did not because as he said 'You have requested anthestic'. It is going to have to wait another month.
He in not concerned by any of my symptoms but has refered me for nerve damage testint.
My question, how long will these symptoms and discomfort last. Is this normal!
I know I have had major reconstructive surgery( an old club foot). I will not be doing any weight bearing for at least a month longer.

Re: Triple arthrodesis

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055718)

A triple arthrodesis is a major procedure that can take months to heal. Nevertheless, the surgical wounds should be healed by now--what type of wound care is being done? Referal to a wound care center could be considered. The purple discoloration may be due to resticted venous (veins) circulation due to the cast.
Ed

Peachland on 8/08/01 at 20:22 (055979)

Thank you, yes it is going to take a while.
I have daily visits from a Health Care Nurse, who is working to keep the wound moist. It dried up badly because of lack care in the early stages. The wound clinic is booked up for about 3 to 4 weeks! Yes, I do have circulation problems when I am vertical, but it is not caused by a caste. I am not wearing one. I wore a brace for a while but it was causing pain because of a visible screw in my heel. I am hoping that the circulation will improve when I can put weight on my foot?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056093)

Try to get into the wound clinic. A lot of podiatrists perform similar services to wound clinics--check your local telephone book.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/06/01 at hrmin (055718)

A triple arthrodesis is a major procedure that can take months to heal. Nevertheless, the surgical wounds should be healed by now--what type of wound care is being done? Referal to a wound care center could be considered. The purple discoloration may be due to resticted venous (veins) circulation due to the cast.
Ed

Peachland on 8/08/01 at 20:22 (055979)

Thank you, yes it is going to take a while.
I have daily visits from a Health Care Nurse, who is working to keep the wound moist. It dried up badly because of lack care in the early stages. The wound clinic is booked up for about 3 to 4 weeks! Yes, I do have circulation problems when I am vertical, but it is not caused by a caste. I am not wearing one. I wore a brace for a while but it was causing pain because of a visible screw in my heel. I am hoping that the circulation will improve when I can put weight on my foot?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056093)

Try to get into the wound clinic. A lot of podiatrists perform similar services to wound clinics--check your local telephone book.
Ed