Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Black Cherry Drinkers

Posted by Linda C. on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055753)

Do you take the Black Cherry juice 'straight' or diluted to make a 'juice'? Some take it by the gulp, some by table spoon..Do we have a standard dose yet?
Scott R.'s satisfaction with the BC is a 10...can any of the other Cherry drinkers report any elimination of PF pain while using the BC?

Re: Black Cherry Drinkers

john h on 8/07/01 at 10:10 (055766)

hmmmmmmm! good! i started off gulping it now i mix it with water as i like it. if it helps great. if not, i have a new healthy non fat drink i like. i drink 2-3 glasses a day and poor a gulp or two in each glass.

Re: Yummmm! but the calories.....

Carmen H on 8/07/01 at 14:00 (055797)

Yes it's good...I have noticed no REAL improvement yet but will keep taking. but the calories are extreme!
4 tsp. 110 calories! OUCH!

wendyn on 8/07/01 at 21:18 (055855)

I have not been on the concentrate - but I have been eating black cherries all week and they are AWESOME!!!!

Julie on 8/08/01 at 03:20 (055885)

Aren't they just! Best in years. I've been going through about a pound a day.

john h on 8/08/01 at 11:21 (055918)

nancy n posed the question is their a difference between the supposed healing power of black cherry concentrate and 'tart' black cherry concentrate? the ingredients on both bottles are almost identical but there is sure a difference in taste. i bought a botlle of plain black cherry contrate from Beans and it is delicious. I ordered the 'tart' black cherry concentrate from julie's URL and it is indeed tart.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 11:54 (055922)

I think the 'tart' cherry juice concentrate is made from red cherries.

Nancy N on 8/08/01 at 14:06 (055941)

But is there a difference in what they purportedly do? Or is it just a difference in flavor? Should we really be talking about 'Cherry Juice' rather than 'Black Cherry Juice' if that's the case?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055947)

I just ordered a couple quarts online last night. I often will test things out myself before making recommendations. I'm going to enjoy this one.
Ed

Sebastian R on 8/08/01 at 16:45 (055955)

Hmm... how bad does it stain your teeth. I already drink coffee.

john h on 8/08/01 at 17:01 (055960)

your question is mine nancy. both labels indicate they are black cherry extract julie only one is tart and one is sweet. sort of like the difference between a ripe black cherry and one that is not very ripe.

john h on 8/08/01 at 17:04 (055961)

dr ed: you definitely should also try a small 8oz bottle of the non tart black cherry concentrate you can buy at Beans & Grains or some other health oriented store. the tart is not nearly as tasy as the non tart (IMHO).

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055981)

We eat quite a bit of cherries in my household and have not noticed any tooth staining. It can stain clothes though. I have 2 1/2 year old twin girls who love cherries. My job is to get the pits out before giving to them. Sometimes I can barely work fast enough to keep up with them, get in a rush and make quite a mess.
Ed

john h on 8/08/01 at 20:57 (055985)

i am answering my own question. i looked on the bottle of cherry extract and it read ' studies show TART cherry juice is 10 times more effective in reducing inflamation than aspirin'. it did not read 'black' cherry nor did it read 'cherry extract'. it simply read tart cherry juice.

JudyS on 8/09/01 at 00:29 (055995)

Dr. Davis - we must see those beautiful daughters of yours! Please let scott post a tiny photo in the SS photo section. What are their names?

Julie on 8/09/01 at 03:06 (056003)

Hey John, it's not 'my' website, it was just the most informative one I found on a quick search. There were hundreds of others, and amongst them might well be one you could order that nice sweet concentrate you're getting hooked on.

Go to www/google.com and search. (So will I, when I've got through yesterday's message crop!)

Julie on 8/09/01 at 03:16 (056004)

Ed, do you have a cherry-stoner? That would speed up the process.

Re: More about Cherry Juice

Julie on 8/09/01 at 09:08 (056022)

OK folks, here are some more websites:

The first three have black cherry juice concentrate to order:

http://www.happycoookers.com/wc.dll/products
http://www.trufoodsmarket.com/blacchercon8.html
http://www.nutritionblvd.com/36006.html

These three are about tart cherry juice:

http://www.colomafrozen.com
http://www.thecountrymill.com/cherry_juice_concentrate.html
http://www.amonorachards.com/thejuice.htm

There are about 9,000 others.

The tart cherry juice firms all seem to be in Michigan, where, apparently, they grow a lot of cherries. My guess is that it makes sense for anyone growing cherries on a mass scale to pick them before they ripen completely - i.e. when they are still tart (and red). More ripening time would give the natural sugars more of a chance, and the cherries would turn sweet (and black). I'm guessing, but I doubt there is any real difference in their chemical makeup, or in their anti-arthritic, anti-oxidant properties - only in their taste. But I can't find a site that compares them. The tart cherry sites have much more nutritional information, but say nothing about any difference between tart and sweet cherries.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056075)

Thank you Judy. Their names are Elizabeth and Kathryn, born Jan. 4, 1999.
I have not gotten into digital photography and posting pirctures online yet--I will need to take the time and figure out how to do so.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056078)

Thank you Julie. My wife found one recently--one of those things I never knew existed.
Ed

john h on 8/09/01 at 17:32 (056085)

julie: i solved my tart cherry juice taste. i just added a little artifical sweetner! hmmmmmmmm!

Julie on 8/10/01 at 01:12 (056124)

Ed

If you send Scott prints, he can post them. Please do.

I'm pleased to hear that you've got the equipment to keep up with those hungry mouths!

Julie

john h on 8/07/01 at 10:10 (055766)

hmmmmmmm! good! i started off gulping it now i mix it with water as i like it. if it helps great. if not, i have a new healthy non fat drink i like. i drink 2-3 glasses a day and poor a gulp or two in each glass.

Re: Yummmm! but the calories.....

Carmen H on 8/07/01 at 14:00 (055797)

Yes it's good...I have noticed no REAL improvement yet but will keep taking. but the calories are extreme!
4 tsp. 110 calories! OUCH!

wendyn on 8/07/01 at 21:18 (055855)

I have not been on the concentrate - but I have been eating black cherries all week and they are AWESOME!!!!

Julie on 8/08/01 at 03:20 (055885)

Aren't they just! Best in years. I've been going through about a pound a day.

john h on 8/08/01 at 11:21 (055918)

nancy n posed the question is their a difference between the supposed healing power of black cherry concentrate and 'tart' black cherry concentrate? the ingredients on both bottles are almost identical but there is sure a difference in taste. i bought a botlle of plain black cherry contrate from Beans and it is delicious. I ordered the 'tart' black cherry concentrate from julie's URL and it is indeed tart.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 11:54 (055922)

I think the 'tart' cherry juice concentrate is made from red cherries.

Nancy N on 8/08/01 at 14:06 (055941)

But is there a difference in what they purportedly do? Or is it just a difference in flavor? Should we really be talking about 'Cherry Juice' rather than 'Black Cherry Juice' if that's the case?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055947)

I just ordered a couple quarts online last night. I often will test things out myself before making recommendations. I'm going to enjoy this one.
Ed

Sebastian R on 8/08/01 at 16:45 (055955)

Hmm... how bad does it stain your teeth. I already drink coffee.

john h on 8/08/01 at 17:01 (055960)

your question is mine nancy. both labels indicate they are black cherry extract julie only one is tart and one is sweet. sort of like the difference between a ripe black cherry and one that is not very ripe.

john h on 8/08/01 at 17:04 (055961)

dr ed: you definitely should also try a small 8oz bottle of the non tart black cherry concentrate you can buy at Beans & Grains or some other health oriented store. the tart is not nearly as tasy as the non tart (IMHO).

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/08/01 at hrmin (055981)

We eat quite a bit of cherries in my household and have not noticed any tooth staining. It can stain clothes though. I have 2 1/2 year old twin girls who love cherries. My job is to get the pits out before giving to them. Sometimes I can barely work fast enough to keep up with them, get in a rush and make quite a mess.
Ed

john h on 8/08/01 at 20:57 (055985)

i am answering my own question. i looked on the bottle of cherry extract and it read ' studies show TART cherry juice is 10 times more effective in reducing inflamation than aspirin'. it did not read 'black' cherry nor did it read 'cherry extract'. it simply read tart cherry juice.

JudyS on 8/09/01 at 00:29 (055995)

Dr. Davis - we must see those beautiful daughters of yours! Please let scott post a tiny photo in the SS photo section. What are their names?

Julie on 8/09/01 at 03:06 (056003)

Hey John, it's not 'my' website, it was just the most informative one I found on a quick search. There were hundreds of others, and amongst them might well be one you could order that nice sweet concentrate you're getting hooked on.

Go to www/google.com and search. (So will I, when I've got through yesterday's message crop!)

Julie on 8/09/01 at 03:16 (056004)

Ed, do you have a cherry-stoner? That would speed up the process.

Re: More about Cherry Juice

Julie on 8/09/01 at 09:08 (056022)

OK folks, here are some more websites:

The first three have black cherry juice concentrate to order:

http://www.happycoookers.com/wc.dll/products
http://www.trufoodsmarket.com/blacchercon8.html
http://www.nutritionblvd.com/36006.html

These three are about tart cherry juice:

http://www.colomafrozen.com
http://www.thecountrymill.com/cherry_juice_concentrate.html
http://www.amonorachards.com/thejuice.htm

There are about 9,000 others.

The tart cherry juice firms all seem to be in Michigan, where, apparently, they grow a lot of cherries. My guess is that it makes sense for anyone growing cherries on a mass scale to pick them before they ripen completely - i.e. when they are still tart (and red). More ripening time would give the natural sugars more of a chance, and the cherries would turn sweet (and black). I'm guessing, but I doubt there is any real difference in their chemical makeup, or in their anti-arthritic, anti-oxidant properties - only in their taste. But I can't find a site that compares them. The tart cherry sites have much more nutritional information, but say nothing about any difference between tart and sweet cherries.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056075)

Thank you Judy. Their names are Elizabeth and Kathryn, born Jan. 4, 1999.
I have not gotten into digital photography and posting pirctures online yet--I will need to take the time and figure out how to do so.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/09/01 at hrmin (056078)

Thank you Julie. My wife found one recently--one of those things I never knew existed.
Ed

john h on 8/09/01 at 17:32 (056085)

julie: i solved my tart cherry juice taste. i just added a little artifical sweetner! hmmmmmmmm!

Julie on 8/10/01 at 01:12 (056124)

Ed

If you send Scott prints, he can post them. Please do.

I'm pleased to hear that you've got the equipment to keep up with those hungry mouths!

Julie