Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hello Judy - London calling

Posted by Julie on 8/07/01 at 09:49 (055760)

Judy

I stopped in at an apartment letting office yesterday - they don't do short lets, but gave me the number of a firm that does. I rang them today, and the nice (American) guy I spoke to said they have quite a bit on their books, and can do short lets over the Christmas period. Most of their properties are in the Bloomsbury area, around Russell Square. They are called Apartment Services Ltd, and their e-mail is aptserltd@aol.com .

If you get in touch with them, you should tell them what you want (how many rooms, etc) and how much you're prepared to spend. They can then e-mail photos to you. If you send them a fax number too they will fax any details and floor plans for properties they may not have photos of.

I've lost your e-mail address - that's why this is here. I hope this is some help.

Julie

Re: Hello Judy -john calling

john h on 8/07/01 at 14:35 (055807)

go to http://www.hostelwatch.com/london.html

i have never stayed at a hostel. this one is 5 minutes from london bridge, two minutes from the tube, can sleep 6 and is considered one of the 5 top hostels in europe. located on bourough high street in or near st christopher village. it is not George V in paris but on the web does not look bad. i have sure stayed in a lot worse.

john h on 8/07/01 at 17:07 (055820)

i see this hostel has internet terminals. that alone should make you consider it judy. julie i would assume you are familar with the location of this hostel.

Re: Hello Judy and John -Julie calling

Julie on 8/08/01 at 03:45 (055887)

John, I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of St Christopher's. Judy, would you like to share a room with 2-4 strangers (or will you be travelling with children or friends who could occupy the other beds ?) Sounds - well, pretty awful. But maybe you could pay double and get the whole room to yourselves - it would still be cheaper than a hotel or an apartment. The location isn't bad - probably noisy, though, as Borough High Street is a very busy road.

Nancy N on 8/08/01 at 07:56 (055891)

I stayed in a hostel in Dublin a few years ago and it was a really great experience. Can't say as the showers did much for me (in order to conserve water, they were of a push-button type--you pushed the button and got water for a certain length of time, and then had to push it again for more), but otherwise, it was sort of like being in a dorm again. Granted, I was only 24 at the time so I hadn't been away from the college experience all that long! But it was fun to get to interact with people from all over the world--there were some Swedish guys in our room, and an Australian, along with me and my Swiss friend, and others we met in the TV lounge. It wasn't terribly expensive, either. But I don't know that you'd want to do it for a month--you'd probably want some peace and quiet after a few days.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 08:30 (055896)

Hi Nancy

Yeah - I loved hostels when I was 24 too, and stayed in them for five months while cycling around Britain and Europe (actually, I was 25). Those were the days. But it was a long, long, LONG time ago. I did it again, in France, when I was 45 and liked it less. I don't think I'd like to do it again - now I know I love my privacy. Judy's closer to my age than yours, which is why I wondered....but maybe she's up for it. Go, Judy!

I have nice memories of hostelling - one that stands out is a long evening in northwest Scotland on the edge of Loch Duich after it had rained all day. Everyone had got wet through, and we spent the evening singing while our clothes steamed away around the ancient boiler. I learned all the words of Road to the Isles'.

Re: Hello Judy - Julie calling again

Julie on 8/08/01 at 08:58 (055902)

Judy

Here are some more possibilities for you:

http://www.homes-exchange.co.uk/lettings/php3
http://www.holswap.com
http://www.swap-and-go.co.uk
http://www.londonapartment.net

The last one is a letting agency, the others are exchange agencies.

These were the most promising looking I found by entering 'Flat exchange London' on Google. There were lots, though.

john h on 8/08/01 at 09:24 (055907)

i was thinking of judy and her family taking the entire room. from the site i posted this place had a resturant, dancing,internet connections,etc. judy, a product of the west coast 60's, should feel like she has been reborn. go judy go! also i would suggest renting a vw bug if you can find one.

Re: Hello John and Judy

Julie on 8/08/01 at 10:02 (055909)

No offense was meant, John - I was just thinking about how I would feel about sharing a room with strangers, and it drew a shudder. I'm sure the place itself would be fine if you could have the whole room. I wonder if they'd allow that at such a busy time, though - you could ask.

Judy, I disagree about renting a car, even a lovely VW Bug (we call them Beetles here). London traffic is sensationally awful: you have to experience it to know what I mean, and parking in the centre is very difficult and very expensive (?4 an hour - limit two hours, on hard-to-find meters). A car isn't necessary, and would just be an expensive, time-wasting encumbrance. The London Underground, although crumbling, and the buses, will take you anywhere you want to go. It's a different story, of course, if you want to do any travelling outside London, but for that you could rent a car on a daily basis.

john h on 8/08/01 at 10:20 (055910)

julie: having been in the military for a lifetime sharing room with strangers became very common for me. i was thinking that she could occupy the entire room. i agree i would not want to share a room with a stranger at this time of my life. if i was 25 and traveling europe it would be great. if judy were a relative i could get her into the guest officers quarters at one of the nearby air force bases. they are equipped to handle families. as for the beetle i was being silly! i agree public transportation is the only way to go. i rented a car once in paris and was driving down the Champs and when i got in the circle around th Arch De Triump i circled it for an hour trying to figure out how to escape the traffic and the paris traffic. no more rent a cars after that. i boarded a train late one night in paris to get to my hotel (underground i think) and rode and rode to the end where it stopped early in the am and they said i was at the end of the line and the train would not be running until sunup. when i was using taxis in london many years ago many of them were mercedes with an occasional rolls. guess they use just plain old cars now. i would be interested to hear your opinion of the hostel i mentioned if you are ever in that area. do you know if Mildenhall Air Base or Lakenheath are still operational? i can still board military aircraft and fly free into London.

JudyS on 8/08/01 at 10:39 (055911)

Ah yes......the adventurous romantic in me would love the bicycling/hostel thing.......but the spoiled brat in me would just as soon opt for a quiet, private pad for such a long length of time.. I'm thinking maybe the Ritz.....wait.....why did my husband and my pocketbook just let out a simultaneous scream? :)

JudyS on 8/08/01 at 10:46 (055913)

very funny, JohnBoy....the whole 'VW Bug' thing.:)
FYI - while I was a teenager of the 60's, I grew up in conservative mid-Michigan, had no need to 'rebel' so didn't explore the hippie scene, AND was, silly me, a wife and mom at age 19 so just didn't have time to worry about the revolution when I moved to CA in '72. My revolution occured much later in the form of coaching and playing baseball and softball - such an unwomanly thing to do - my dear mom still chides me for it! Nope, no HaightAshbury for me......but didn't YOU leave a couple stripes on the sidewalk there? :)

JudyS on 8/08/01 at 10:49 (055914)

no car rentals for us, thankyouverymuch! I made that mistake in 'opposite-side' driving in Melbourne last year...
In fact, we had already checked out public transport in the London area as well as Europe.....Julie, I have so many questions...hope you don't mind if I bug you via email.

john h on 8/08/01 at 11:17 (055915)

yes judy in august 1968 i strode in to Height Ashbury and spent two nights which i will never forget. two days later i was on a plane to Saigon. talk about a contrast. conservative michigan? i attended a michigan/michagan state football game around 1960 and i do not remember anything conservative about it. i spent the night on campus and was glad to escape with my life. i think michigan is sort of world headquarters for the home milita movement and we here in arkansas are the alternate world headquarters. married at 19! i could not even spell married when i was 19 and i sure could not have suported anyone at 19. when i was 19 i think i was closer to 13.

Nancy N on 8/08/01 at 11:21 (055917)

Julie--

Even I am not sure if I would want to go for a hostel now, and it's only 5 years later! I wasn't trying to sell it or not sell it, I just wanted to make sure Judy had an idea of what they're like. If I were travelling by myself, though, I might go for it to save the expense, but after along day as a tourist (I hate that word!), I would want to be able to go back to my room and get some rest, and more importantly, some quiet. So it would be a toss-up. But it was fun for two nights in Dublin--the Swedish guys even taught me the correct pronunciation of my last name (which is either Swedish or Norwegian, it exists in both countries, so we're not sure which place we're from, all those years ago!)

Julie on 8/08/01 at 12:40 (055928)

Sure, Judy, you can ask me as many questions as you like. I don't promise I'll have the answers, but I'll help if I can. You must be getting excited.

I guess I missed a VW Bug joke. What was it?

John, I don't know about Lakenhall and Mildenheath (oh no, it's the other way around). If I can find out I'll tell you.

john h on 8/07/01 at 14:35 (055807)

go to http://www.hostelwatch.com/london.html

i have never stayed at a hostel. this one is 5 minutes from london bridge, two minutes from the tube, can sleep 6 and is considered one of the 5 top hostels in europe. located on bourough high street in or near st christopher village. it is not George V in paris but on the web does not look bad. i have sure stayed in a lot worse.

john h on 8/07/01 at 17:07 (055820)

i see this hostel has internet terminals. that alone should make you consider it judy. julie i would assume you are familar with the location of this hostel.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 03:45 (055887)

John, I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of St Christopher's. Judy, would you like to share a room with 2-4 strangers (or will you be travelling with children or friends who could occupy the other beds ?) Sounds - well, pretty awful. But maybe you could pay double and get the whole room to yourselves - it would still be cheaper than a hotel or an apartment. The location isn't bad - probably noisy, though, as Borough High Street is a very busy road.

Nancy N on 8/08/01 at 07:56 (055891)

I stayed in a hostel in Dublin a few years ago and it was a really great experience. Can't say as the showers did much for me (in order to conserve water, they were of a push-button type--you pushed the button and got water for a certain length of time, and then had to push it again for more), but otherwise, it was sort of like being in a dorm again. Granted, I was only 24 at the time so I hadn't been away from the college experience all that long! But it was fun to get to interact with people from all over the world--there were some Swedish guys in our room, and an Australian, along with me and my Swiss friend, and others we met in the TV lounge. It wasn't terribly expensive, either. But I don't know that you'd want to do it for a month--you'd probably want some peace and quiet after a few days.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 08:30 (055896)

Hi Nancy

Yeah - I loved hostels when I was 24 too, and stayed in them for five months while cycling around Britain and Europe (actually, I was 25). Those were the days. But it was a long, long, LONG time ago. I did it again, in France, when I was 45 and liked it less. I don't think I'd like to do it again - now I know I love my privacy. Judy's closer to my age than yours, which is why I wondered....but maybe she's up for it. Go, Judy!

I have nice memories of hostelling - one that stands out is a long evening in northwest Scotland on the edge of Loch Duich after it had rained all day. Everyone had got wet through, and we spent the evening singing while our clothes steamed away around the ancient boiler. I learned all the words of Road to the Isles'.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 08:58 (055902)

Judy

Here are some more possibilities for you:

http://www.homes-exchange.co.uk/lettings/php3
http://www.holswap.com
http://www.swap-and-go.co.uk
http://www.londonapartment.net

The last one is a letting agency, the others are exchange agencies.

These were the most promising looking I found by entering 'Flat exchange London' on Google. There were lots, though.

john h on 8/08/01 at 09:24 (055907)

i was thinking of judy and her family taking the entire room. from the site i posted this place had a resturant, dancing,internet connections,etc. judy, a product of the west coast 60's, should feel like she has been reborn. go judy go! also i would suggest renting a vw bug if you can find one.

Julie on 8/08/01 at 10:02 (055909)

No offense was meant, John - I was just thinking about how I would feel about sharing a room with strangers, and it drew a shudder. I'm sure the place itself would be fine if you could have the whole room. I wonder if they'd allow that at such a busy time, though - you could ask.

Judy, I disagree about renting a car, even a lovely VW Bug (we call them Beetles here). London traffic is sensationally awful: you have to experience it to know what I mean, and parking in the centre is very difficult and very expensive (?4 an hour - limit two hours, on hard-to-find meters). A car isn't necessary, and would just be an expensive, time-wasting encumbrance. The London Underground, although crumbling, and the buses, will take you anywhere you want to go. It's a different story, of course, if you want to do any travelling outside London, but for that you could rent a car on a daily basis.

john h on 8/08/01 at 10:20 (055910)

julie: having been in the military for a lifetime sharing room with strangers became very common for me. i was thinking that she could occupy the entire room. i agree i would not want to share a room with a stranger at this time of my life. if i was 25 and traveling europe it would be great. if judy were a relative i could get her into the guest officers quarters at one of the nearby air force bases. they are equipped to handle families. as for the beetle i was being silly! i agree public transportation is the only way to go. i rented a car once in paris and was driving down the Champs and when i got in the circle around th Arch De Triump i circled it for an hour trying to figure out how to escape the traffic and the paris traffic. no more rent a cars after that. i boarded a train late one night in paris to get to my hotel (underground i think) and rode and rode to the end where it stopped early in the am and they said i was at the end of the line and the train would not be running until sunup. when i was using taxis in london many years ago many of them were mercedes with an occasional rolls. guess they use just plain old cars now. i would be interested to hear your opinion of the hostel i mentioned if you are ever in that area. do you know if Mildenhall Air Base or Lakenheath are still operational? i can still board military aircraft and fly free into London.

JudyS on 8/08/01 at 10:39 (055911)

Ah yes......the adventurous romantic in me would love the bicycling/hostel thing.......but the spoiled brat in me would just as soon opt for a quiet, private pad for such a long length of time.. I'm thinking maybe the Ritz.....wait.....why did my husband and my pocketbook just let out a simultaneous scream? :)

JudyS on 8/08/01 at 10:46 (055913)

very funny, JohnBoy....the whole 'VW Bug' thing.:)
FYI - while I was a teenager of the 60's, I grew up in conservative mid-Michigan, had no need to 'rebel' so didn't explore the hippie scene, AND was, silly me, a wife and mom at age 19 so just didn't have time to worry about the revolution when I moved to CA in '72. My revolution occured much later in the form of coaching and playing baseball and softball - such an unwomanly thing to do - my dear mom still chides me for it! Nope, no HaightAshbury for me......but didn't YOU leave a couple stripes on the sidewalk there? :)

JudyS on 8/08/01 at 10:49 (055914)

no car rentals for us, thankyouverymuch! I made that mistake in 'opposite-side' driving in Melbourne last year...
In fact, we had already checked out public transport in the London area as well as Europe.....Julie, I have so many questions...hope you don't mind if I bug you via email.

john h on 8/08/01 at 11:17 (055915)

yes judy in august 1968 i strode in to Height Ashbury and spent two nights which i will never forget. two days later i was on a plane to Saigon. talk about a contrast. conservative michigan? i attended a michigan/michagan state football game around 1960 and i do not remember anything conservative about it. i spent the night on campus and was glad to escape with my life. i think michigan is sort of world headquarters for the home milita movement and we here in arkansas are the alternate world headquarters. married at 19! i could not even spell married when i was 19 and i sure could not have suported anyone at 19. when i was 19 i think i was closer to 13.

Nancy N on 8/08/01 at 11:21 (055917)

Julie--

Even I am not sure if I would want to go for a hostel now, and it's only 5 years later! I wasn't trying to sell it or not sell it, I just wanted to make sure Judy had an idea of what they're like. If I were travelling by myself, though, I might go for it to save the expense, but after along day as a tourist (I hate that word!), I would want to be able to go back to my room and get some rest, and more importantly, some quiet. So it would be a toss-up. But it was fun for two nights in Dublin--the Swedish guys even taught me the correct pronunciation of my last name (which is either Swedish or Norwegian, it exists in both countries, so we're not sure which place we're from, all those years ago!)

Julie on 8/08/01 at 12:40 (055928)

Sure, Judy, you can ask me as many questions as you like. I don't promise I'll have the answers, but I'll help if I can. You must be getting excited.

I guess I missed a VW Bug joke. What was it?

John, I don't know about Lakenhall and Mildenheath (oh no, it's the other way around). If I can find out I'll tell you.