Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should Running be cut out altogether?

Posted by Jacqueline B on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055791)

Hello all!

I'm so happy to have come across this site after recently being diagnosed with P.F. in my right foot. I've just order the N'ice Splint and my doctor seemed very casual about it and told me to just stretch against the wall, ice it from time to time, and take celebrex (which made me break out). The pain dulled, and then came back again hard core! I'm a runner and was wondering if I have to cut it out altogether now? and if there is any type of permanent treatment to get rid of this for good?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jacqui

Re: Should Running be cut out altogether?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055800)

Why do you have plantar fasciitis? If you know the cause, treat the cause and that is the best way to solve your problem. Make sure you are communicating that to your doctor.

Running can be okay if the plantar fasciitis is mild, you are staying off hills and you have addressed any biomechanical problems. You generally will know the next day (day after the run) if the plantar fasciitis has gotten worse--if so cut back on the running, if not continue.
Ed

ellen w on 8/07/01 at 14:19 (055802)

I just read an article on nite splints that said they are effective, but need to be used every night for two months or so to provide the kind of long-term stretch of the heel cord that is needed.
ellen

Jacqui B. on 8/07/01 at 14:30 (055804)

I got the problem from ONE pair of awful shoes that I will never wear again. It doesn't hurt when I run, but when I stop, I can barely stand. In the mornings, I'm in agony. I've just ordered the night splint so I'm hoping that will help.

Re: I found a night splint extremely effective.

Andrea R. on 8/07/01 at 14:32 (055805)

Ellen,

What type of doctor did you see? My orthopedist found that in many cases the night splint replaced the need for shots.

I had severe PF in my left foot and started having the beginning of it in my right. My ortho told me to use the night splint and do stretching exercises. My right foot is now fine. The splint was alot less painful than the shots I had in the left foot from the GP and podiatrist.

You might want to consider finding another doctor who is more familiar with PF. A sports medicine or foot/ankle orthopedist or a good podiatrist.

If you post where you live you will usually get recommendations of who to see.

In case you don't know already, NO BARE FEET!

You have definitely come to the right place for help.

Andrea

ellen w on 8/07/01 at 14:47 (055809)

Hi Andrea,

I think you meant your comments to be directed towards Jacqui, not me. I agree with you and would urge Jacqui to see a good orthopedist and sports medicine doc, along with a pt for a stretching routine.

Jacqui B. on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055810)

Andrea,

Went to see a doctor at ST. Vincents Hospital Orthopedics clinic in New York City, but the name of Dr. Sheskier. He was very good in my opinion, he knew what it was instantly. I only had the symptoms for about two weeks before until it had gotten so bad that I could not walk and stayed home off my foot for a day icing.

The pain faded for about a week, and has been gradually creeping back up.

Andrea R. on 8/07/01 at 15:08 (055814)

Jacqui,

Glad you have confidence in your doctor. If Celebrex bothered you, you might ask to try Vioxx or Mobic and make sure to take them with food.

BEFORE you get out of bed in the morning you might want to try this routine the physical therapist gave me: massage your foot but not too aggressively; use a towel to gently pull your foot toward you just until you feel the stretch (repeat 4 times); use a ball about the size of tennis ball and roll it back and forth with your foot. This routine should help with those first steps in the AM.

Andrea

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055837)

A lot of good ideas have come across. night splints work great for individuals with tight fasciae or tight gastrosoleus achilles complex but not so well if those problems are not present. It is okay to try a whole bunch of stuff till you find something that works if you are very patient.
I think it is better yet to find out exactly what is needed from a good podiatrist and get it taken care of expeditiously.
Ed

Re: Should Running be cut out altogether?Stairmaster ?

Michael K on 8/09/01 at 15:47 (056058)

I just picked up PF about 3 weeks ago, and i find that it doesn't bother me when i run about 2 hrs (but feels bruised afterwards)
What about the stairmaster - is it good or bad for it ?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055800)

Why do you have plantar fasciitis? If you know the cause, treat the cause and that is the best way to solve your problem. Make sure you are communicating that to your doctor.

Running can be okay if the plantar fasciitis is mild, you are staying off hills and you have addressed any biomechanical problems. You generally will know the next day (day after the run) if the plantar fasciitis has gotten worse--if so cut back on the running, if not continue.
Ed

ellen w on 8/07/01 at 14:19 (055802)

I just read an article on nite splints that said they are effective, but need to be used every night for two months or so to provide the kind of long-term stretch of the heel cord that is needed.
ellen

Jacqui B. on 8/07/01 at 14:30 (055804)

I got the problem from ONE pair of awful shoes that I will never wear again. It doesn't hurt when I run, but when I stop, I can barely stand. In the mornings, I'm in agony. I've just ordered the night splint so I'm hoping that will help.

Andrea R. on 8/07/01 at 14:32 (055805)

Ellen,

What type of doctor did you see? My orthopedist found that in many cases the night splint replaced the need for shots.

I had severe PF in my left foot and started having the beginning of it in my right. My ortho told me to use the night splint and do stretching exercises. My right foot is now fine. The splint was alot less painful than the shots I had in the left foot from the GP and podiatrist.

You might want to consider finding another doctor who is more familiar with PF. A sports medicine or foot/ankle orthopedist or a good podiatrist.

If you post where you live you will usually get recommendations of who to see.

In case you don't know already, NO BARE FEET!

You have definitely come to the right place for help.

Andrea

ellen w on 8/07/01 at 14:47 (055809)

Hi Andrea,

I think you meant your comments to be directed towards Jacqui, not me. I agree with you and would urge Jacqui to see a good orthopedist and sports medicine doc, along with a pt for a stretching routine.

Jacqui B. on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055810)

Andrea,

Went to see a doctor at ST. Vincents Hospital Orthopedics clinic in New York City, but the name of Dr. Sheskier. He was very good in my opinion, he knew what it was instantly. I only had the symptoms for about two weeks before until it had gotten so bad that I could not walk and stayed home off my foot for a day icing.

The pain faded for about a week, and has been gradually creeping back up.

Andrea R. on 8/07/01 at 15:08 (055814)

Jacqui,

Glad you have confidence in your doctor. If Celebrex bothered you, you might ask to try Vioxx or Mobic and make sure to take them with food.

BEFORE you get out of bed in the morning you might want to try this routine the physical therapist gave me: massage your foot but not too aggressively; use a towel to gently pull your foot toward you just until you feel the stretch (repeat 4 times); use a ball about the size of tennis ball and roll it back and forth with your foot. This routine should help with those first steps in the AM.

Andrea

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/07/01 at hrmin (055837)

A lot of good ideas have come across. night splints work great for individuals with tight fasciae or tight gastrosoleus achilles complex but not so well if those problems are not present. It is okay to try a whole bunch of stuff till you find something that works if you are very patient.
I think it is better yet to find out exactly what is needed from a good podiatrist and get it taken care of expeditiously.
Ed

Re: Should Running be cut out altogether?Stairmaster ?

Michael K on 8/09/01 at 15:47 (056058)

I just picked up PF about 3 weeks ago, and i find that it doesn't bother me when i run about 2 hrs (but feels bruised afterwards)
What about the stairmaster - is it good or bad for it ?